Home

OS Guide to Winning in the Playoffs

This is a discussion on OS Guide to Winning in the Playoffs within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Guide to Winning in the Playoffs

If you’ve been playing MLB 11: The Show along with the real MLB Season, hopefully you’ve secured a spot in the playoffs. It doesn’t matter if you’ve mirrored real life successes, did what the Red Sox and Braves couldn’t or captained a long shot like the Orioles or Pirates, but most playoff-bound teams can increase their success by following a few of the following guidelines.

Pitching:

Shorten your Staff: Most real MLB teams shrink their rotation, especially in the early five game Divisional series. Try to use your top three starters as much as possible, especially if there is a big drop off between your ace(s) and the bottom of your rotation.

Read More - OS Guide to Winning in the Playoffs
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Pro

Yankees2009Champs's Arena

OVR: 6
Great article, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Expanding on the shifts part, I like to change it up late in games. I use Guard lines and a deep outfield to promote a "no doubles" defense.

Getting guys into scoring position is essential. Guy on first, steal. Guys on first and second, bunt them over. Guy on 2nd, hit to the right, get him to 3rd. EVERY out is critical.

Go to closer for more than the 9th. If you got a guy like Freddy Garcia, just get him to through the 6th. Using set up guy to take care of 7th, 1-2 in the 8th. Bring in closer for last 4-5 outs.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Rookie

GivenWings's Arena

OVR: 7
Love the contribution Caley !.

Can I assume that these tips and advice also apply to MLB 2K11 as well?. =P

By the way, what are your thoughts on playing a Season or Franchise mode w/ an upgraded or altered roster rather than the originals?.

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: OS Guide to Winning in the Playoffs

Very good article.
While some may say obvious points.....I wonder how many use the strategies that seem so "obvious".

Like Yankee said......shifts. I'm sure most just let the game do the DP depth and maybe "play in" for a bunt situation. But in the 8th....9th guarding the lines is essential. Also setting up your defense to the way you pitch can also make a big difference.
(I do agree ...the Howard/Ortiz shifts are pretty much not worth employing)

For me...the biggest is pitching around certain players either late in the game or in certain situations with the top players on another club.
Also...checking the catcher arm ratings and either running or not running.
Playing in for the weaker hitters(OF)......

Good points on the underlying strategies of the game.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 10-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Rookie

Is there a way to set a defensive positioning before a game? I hate... HATE when the OF plays deep. I feel like the baserunners are more manageable from the "Normal" depth. Too many first-to-thirds and it's nearly impossible to throw anyone out at the plate because of the time it takes them to get to a base hit. Even with an average defensive outfield I think you'll be able to limit the doubles and runners taking extra bases when at the normal depth. Playing them Deep has hurt me more often than it's helped.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Pro

Yankees2009Champs's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmat2
Is there a way to set a defensive positioning before a game? I hate... HATE when the OF plays deep. I feel like the baserunners are more manageable from the "Normal" depth. Too many first-to-thirds and it's nearly impossible to throw anyone out at the plate because of the time it takes them to get to a base hit. Even with an average defensive outfield I think you'll be able to limit the doubles and runners taking extra bases when at the normal depth. Playing them Deep has hurt me more often than it's helped.
I can understand your last comment but here's what I mean of a deep outfield. Playing deep gets your momentum going forward and not backward. Point is, if the guy hits a deep one, and it goes to the wall, that guy is going first to home.
"Undaunted, I knew the game was mine to win. Just like in life, ALL of my successes depend on me. I'm the man who has the ball, I'm the man who can throw it faster than heck. So that is why I am better than everyone in the world."

Legendary pitcher Kenny Powers
Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

What are the Bonds or Howard shifts?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
THE SHOW may be the game that I love the most that is also the hardest to win the brass ring. That may be a byproduct of how the sport is played, so many regular season games, so few spots available in the post season. However, I have found over the years SHOW breaks my heart worse than Madden (that game's easy, let's cut the BS) or NBA2K (once you're good you're pretty much unstoppable, right?). I've had leads blown in the 9th by legendary Game Seven home runs, and emotionally shattering plays at the plate too many times to get specific. Baseball is a negative sport, at least the way I sim it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »