Home

UFC Undisputed 3 Video - Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos

This is a discussion on UFC Undisputed 3 Video - Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Re: UFC Undisputed 3 Video - Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos

Ay-o Tank is back. I looked a few weeks ago when I had a very important WWE 12 question and saw the last time he was on and thought we ran him out of town for good saying how terrible UFC 2010 was.

This still looks bad though. It still looks like the typical fighting game as opposed to playing out like a MMA fight. Like the very first thing,they're swining wildly at each other,that doesn't happen much. There's no sense of distance,having to find range,waiting patiently for the right moment to throw. It's just walk up and throw. Same thing when they come out for round 2. It's just a random slugfest. Seems to still be lacking the art of mixed martial arts. I'd hope 'sim' mode adresses that a bit but I know it won't fix everything. A large part of the problem is movement and they appear to move the same as they did in the last 2 games. It looks like you still can't use the octagon,I mean something similar to what Diaz did to Penn. You're still working on video game planes of movement like in Tekken.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #18
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by THQ Tank
The game now has a simulation mode you can turn on/off that will dramatically impact the way fight plays out in a much more authentic fashion. So to your point about 2009, without question.

What you noted about 2010 was also fixed, auto-block, etc.

I don't know if you recall, but I ran 5 surveys for community feedback early on, all of which was heavily implemented in many facets.

I've also hosted 8 gameplay balance/exploit testing sessions here with pro gamers, pro fighting gamers, core UFC players - all of whom have helped improve the game and walked away impressed, especially our core UFC guys a few weeks back.

I've been a Community Manager for 8 years, I will not BS you guys, I mean it when I say, this game is a dramatic improvement over 2009 and 2010 from the inside. The graphics may not look like a 10-year leap, but what sports game does year over year. You're never building a new graphic engine for a sports game, you're refining it year over year. A sports game is not a 1-year game, it's at least a 3-year title.

I am 100% confident UFC 3 will make you feel like 2009 and then some, a lot of some, if that makes any sense at all.

Cheers,
Tank
Thank you for posting here, really appreciate it.
I honestly hope that it is a big improvement. I enjoyed both 09 and 10, but they didn't have much of replayability factor for me as an offline gamer because of the mediocre career mode. That is the biggest thing for me, and I hope it is better.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
All Star

OVR: 17

Why does Junior still have that weird looking slow developing takedown where his butt is way up in the air?? That takedown always seemed weird to me in 2010.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
I agree with much of what you said. But 1 thing confirmed to not be in, that needs to be, is a health regeneration. EA's MMA had the right idea, it was a multitude of shots that ended the fight on the ground. Right now I think it will still be too easy to get a takedown and pot shot little baby punches that cumulate damage while keeping him down. Then after enough baby punches take damage, they land that weak stepping punch that gets classified as a strong strike for a KO. I hope for the next itteration of the game includes a true health regen system. If you get rocked, it regenerated much slower, until you can get to a safe platoon, breathe for a few seconds and recover. EA layed the ground work THQ, now take the ball and run with it, and build upon and improve that system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
This was one of the questions Tank and them went over for one of the dev Q & A's. They said they wanted to get it in this year but something with the current system could not. But plan for the future release to have it working properly.
Agreed...movement looks pretty bland. Like you just plant your feet in cement and throw. Would be nice to see the guys bouncing around being light on their feet, etc. Some guys plod forward, but not guys like Cain or Junior. They have pretty good footwork. I think this should be translated into the game as well. Also hand positioning and hand movement as well. At times it just doesn't seem as organic as it should if that makes sense.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by THQ Tank
The game now has a simulation mode you can turn on/off that will dramatically impact the way fight plays out in a much more authentic fashion. So to your point about 2009, without question.

What you noted about 2010 was also fixed, auto-block, etc.

I don't know if you recall, but I ran 5 surveys for community feedback early on, all of which was heavily implemented in many facets.

I've also hosted 8 gameplay balance/exploit testing sessions here with pro gamers, pro fighting gamers, core UFC players - all of whom have helped improve the game and walked away impressed, especially our core UFC guys a few weeks back.

I've been a Community Manager for 8 years, I will not BS you guys, I mean it when I say, this game is a dramatic improvement over 2009 and 2010 from the inside. The graphics may not look like a 10-year leap, but what sports game does year over year. You're never building a new graphic engine for a sports game, you're refining it year over year. A sports game is not a 1-year game, it's at least a 3-year title.

I am 100% confident UFC 3 will make you feel like 2009 and then some, a lot of some, if that makes any sense at all.

Cheers,
Tank
Will "simulation mode" be the default setting for online ranked matches?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

What's up guys! I work with Tank as UFC Undisputed Community Manager and wanted to jump in to answer some of your questions...

Will matches play out with authentic variety? With simulation stamina matches can end at ANY time. I've had 5 round wars where we were rocking each other in the first round and having little coming backs, then going back and forth, and I've had a couple KO's in under 10 seconds. Also, with the game as balanced as it is this year you really can play to your strengths without having to worry about playing one way because it is the only way people play online. There are counters for everything so you can really implement your game plan if you know what you're doing.

Can you slam out of subs? Yes. If you escape certain subs fast enough with various fighters, you will slam out of the sub.

Is the butterfly guard useful? Yes. We've brought back sweeps this year and BJJ guys will be able to use this position to throw their opponent off balance and take top position.

Are there new sweeps? Yep

Do move sets match fighter styles? Indeed. When you first create a character, you will pick their style which will dictate their starting moveset.

Will Sim Stamina be default for Online? Negative. The majority of our fanbase are not as hardcore as the folks on these forums, our forums, and the UOC so we wanted to keep the default the way it is since that type of gameplay is what they are expecting. The hardcores know they can turn this option on, and general users might not know they can turn this option off (there were a lot of folks that had no idea you could turn on Stamina bars in 2010 and 2009).

If you guys have any other questions, feel free to ask them in this thread and I'll answer what I can.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
Will "simulation mode" be the default setting for online ranked matches?
Great Question.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that it has been answered above. So, if you want a realistic experience don't play online. Got it.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 4

Pride Mode sounds fun.

If anything - the game might be worth just to be able to play with those rules.

I kind of get the feeling THQ has gone as far as they can - this is the best they can do. I'll take what I can get. It's better than nothing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »