Home

The Sounds of The Show Come from the Minor Leagues

This is a discussion on The Sounds of The Show Come from the Minor Leagues within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
The Sounds of The Show Come from the Minor Leagues

Sony San Diego Studio and the audio team behind MLB 12 The Show is looking to beef up the audio side of the game. Kotaku has the scoop.

Quote:
When Sony San Diego Studio needs to build a new major league ballpark for MLB The Show, they go to that ballpark, take hundreds of measurements and images, and spend about four months constructing it in the game. When they need new sounds you hear at that ballpark, they go to a minor league field.
Platform: PS Vita / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: The Sounds of The Show Come from the Minor Leagues

Say what you will, but these guys do it right.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
Say what you will, but these guys do it right.
If they wanted to do it right, they'd go to the major league parks. Minor league parks are going to sound different.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 24

SMH at the comments following that article.......
Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaKuu
If they wanted to do it right, they'd go to the major league parks. Minor league parks are going to sound different.
Not that much different at all if any.

A ball pounding a glove and the crack of the bat is going to be the same in any ball park.

Now I guess there may be a small difference if its a Dome vs outdoor stadium.

Thats what I think anyway.

Last edited by tnixen; 11-24-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 24

I think the only real difference will be in the crowd. I've been to a minor league game and an MLB game, and it is like night and day. The MLB crowd sounds surroundy and overpowering (because the seating is so much more spread out, and the structure is larger and more complex), even if the game isn't sold out. A minor league game generally sounds like a smaller number of people, regardless of the actual attendance numbers, because the bleachers don't contribute to that large stadium/hall effect, plus it's usually bleachers in random places, but its rare the entire park is surrounded evenly by seating.

Just about any other sound effect I'd think would be exactly the same in either park/league, as long as they adjusted for the difference in pitch speed and bat speed (eg a MLB fastball is going to be faster, and thus slightly louder, than a minor league one).

And say what you will about knowing they don't go to actual MLB parks for sound, but another reality is that human ears are just not that sensitive. Production teams do this sort of thing all the time in movies, that large explosion or thunder crack could very well be a parachute or tin foil being shaken, etc... So you may disagree with their decision, but please don't let your argument degrade to singling them out for a practice that is all but ubiquitous.

Last edited by Bobhead; 11-24-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

The thing that I like about this article, and the article which preceded it involving the same event, is that this is something which normally just happens "behind the scenes" for us, something which we normally choose to neglect because the information is not that important.

In my opinion, if there are articles being released about this kind of information, and a website actually uses an author to take quotes and write out said story, I think this improvement is significant for the game's presentation front with regard to changes being made. I do hope we're in for a treat from that "staleness" we've felt with the game the past few years (I don't mean "blandness," I simply mean "same ol' same ol'").

Although, I do wish they were able to do this in a major league park for the overall crowd ambiance.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 11-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Does that minor league stadium have chain link fence behind the plate? Because that chain link sound on what should be nylon net has been bugging me every year.

I haven't seen chain link used since Little League, and even then the chain link had been replaced with nylon when they redid the fields a few years later.

The sounds in the game otherwise are stellar (although footstep sounds are a bit too loud) but they have gotta change the backstop sound.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »