Home

MLB 12 The Show Hands-On Preview - Play 162 Game Season With Playstation Move

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show Hands-On Preview - Play 162 Game Season With Playstation Move within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
MVP

bp4baseball's Arena

OVR: 43
MLB 12 The Show Hands-On Preview - Play 162 Game Season With Playstation Move

Ebenezer Samuel, writer for The New York Daily News, has posted his MLB 12 The Show hands-on impressions, discussing the improvements made in the game with the Playstation Move.

Quote:
Sony’s Move can differentiate various swings, and it does it with relative accuracy. If you pull your shoulder back and “load,” it reads that as a power swing, and if you attempt to check your swing, the game can read that, too. It’s all instantly immersive, and it easily adds tremendous drama to each and every at-bat.

It’s also incredibly difficult. I don’t know about you, but I’m not exactly headed for next year’s MLB Draft, and if not for pitch-guessing and quick button-pressing reflexes, my virtual Albert Pujols would never smack a single home run, so the idea of stepping into the batter’s box against a pixelated Jared Weaver is not a pleasant thought. You don’t have much time to recognize pitches in this game, and while each and every at-bat is exhilarating in its realism, it’s also frustrating once you realize that you’re, well, not anywhere close to MLB-ready.
Platform: PS3 / PS Vita
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Mlb 12 the Show "Playsation Move" Preview

I wonder if they fix the delay. In 11, you practically have to swing just after the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrogerdavid
I wonder if they fix the delay. In 11, you practically have to swing just after the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
That delay issue is the reason I did not buy the move controller for MLB 11 The Show. If they fixed the delay then I guess I will be buying a move controller. When I swing the move controller I want the bat on screen to move at the same exact time. A delay even if its very small is just not fun at all to me and ruins the experience.

I played baseball on the Wii and I don't remember there being any delay at all when swinging the Wii controller.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Now this is so enticing!

I'm a bit surprised Move will be introduced so quick right after the pure analog last year, but if this actually works just like real stuff, the Show will be a really, really fun game to play. I've been quite amazed how sensitive Move is, and it will be a good sport game to showcase its ability as well... (On the other hand, using Move with the HR derby in MLB11 isn't really fun at all...)

(What I hope is eventually the pitching interface also becomes like real life with Move... probably harder to do than hitting, but it will be cool to be able to actually pitch with your body/arm! Good exercise as well!!)

It looks like getting Michael Jackson The Experience was a wrong Move for me after all!

Edit: Right, something like the delay in response, if really present, needs to be addressed... it can be a deal breaker for choosing among different interfaces...

Last edited by nomo17k; 12-09-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm excited about this news. Played the crap out of The Show 09. Skipped 10 as was still happy with 09. Played a ton of MLB11 this year and was thinking might skip 12 but if The Move is integrated well I might have to change my thinking. Granted the Home Run Derby support last year left a little to be desired, but I liked the concept of swinging rather than just pushing buttons or moving joypad. Hope it works and is fun. I just got The Move a week ago as part of a cheap Tiger Woods bundle package Best Buy was running and I like it. But don't really see any other games that use The Move that are any good so hopin The Show 12 is.

(Sidenote, how can there not be a good Tennis game out there that uses The Move. Or boxing. Or even bowling. The Move technology seems pretty good--wish there were good in-depth games that used it. It is nice to be able to move around when playing a game instead of just sitting there and it is a more immersive experience I think.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew101
I'm excited about this news. Played the crap out of The Show 09. Skipped 10 as was still happy with 09. Played a ton of MLB11 this year and was thinking might skip 12 but if The Move is integrated well I might have to change my thinking. Granted the Home Run Derby support last year left a little to be desired, but I liked the concept of swinging rather than just pushing buttons or moving joypad. Hope it works and is fun. I just got The Move a week ago as part of a cheap Tiger Woods bundle package Best Buy was running and I like it. But don't really see any other games that use The Move that are any good so hopin The Show 12 is.

(Sidenote, how can there not be a good Tennis game out there that uses The Move. Or boxing. Or even bowling. The Move technology seems pretty good--wish there were good in-depth games that used it. It is nice to be able to move around when playing a game instead of just sitting there and it is a more immersive experience I think.)
Don't mean to jump off topic here but Sports Champions Table Tennis on Move is amazing. When bronze assist is turned off in options and that paddle does everything you do it is awesome.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAraujo
Don't mean to jump off topic here but Sports Champions Table Tennis on Move is amazing. When bronze assist is turned off in options and that paddle does everything you do it is awesome.

Right. This is the kind of reaction the Show needs. To me, it seems the Move is synced perfectly with the paddle.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAraujo
Yes, most games in Sports Champions are good with Move. Have to agree with Table Tennis (no, it's not Ping Pong)! That thing is amazingly fast and cool! (I got my PS3 as a Move bundle last with SC; it's a good set of games to showcase what Move can do.) If Table Tennis is any indication, playing baseball with Move would be an amazing experience. Hope the devs get the first iteration right!

Gradiator Duel is fun as well. Amazing how fine you can control the sword and the shield with Move. It will be amazing in the Show, eventually!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »