Home

NFL Blitz Available Now For PS3, Tomorrow For 360 - Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NFL Blitz Available Now For PS3, Tomorrow For 360 - Post Your Impressions Here within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NFL Blitz Impressions

Uniforms appear to be random. The home and away unis are both in the game as I have seen them. Seems to be random though as to what the teams wear. I have played games where the uniforms are worn correctly and then where both teams have worn their colored uniforms.

Have not seen both teams wearing white at the same time though.

There are a ton of unlocks, from cheats to fantasy teams, big head mode, football colors, cheerleaders, etc. To get these, at least the main way would be to buy with "bonus bucks" that one gets from playing online. Too bad I don't care to play sports games online, maybe this game wouldn't be so bad though.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
MVP

bigball12's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by opd897
Uniforms appear to be random. The home and away unis are both in the game as I have seen them. Seems to be random though as to what the teams wear. I have played games where the uniforms are worn correctly and then where both teams have worn their colored uniforms.

Have not seen both teams wearing white at the same time though.

There are a ton of unlocks, from cheats to fantasy teams, big head mode, football colors, cheerleaders, etc. To get these, at least the main way would be to buy with "bonus bucks" that one gets from playing online. Too bad I don't care to play sports games online, maybe this game wouldn't be so bad though.
Would you mind playing a 'Blitz Battle' online ranked game 1 v. 1, and seeing if you can enter cheats? If you can, this would be terrible.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Strange about there being no handedness on players. That's been a standard feature in most sports videogames since at least the mid-'90s.

I remember Mark Brunell and Steve Young were lefties in the original Blitz:

I just played the original and Brunell and Young throw lefty when you roll out to the left, but righty when you roll out to the right. Its the same with other QBs, regardless of handedness. But I guess the nitpickedness of today's sports game required this be absolutely correct.

PSN: dsavbeast
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

I'm enjoying it. Plays just like the blitz I remember... Minus the late hits though, which is def a bummer.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigball12
Would you mind playing a 'Blitz Battle' online ranked game 1 v. 1, and seeing if you can enter cheats? If you can, this would be terrible.
Sure, I'll give it a try. The rules say though that one cannot use a cheat code online that changes the gameplay. I don't have any cheat codes unlocked as of yet with the exception of the NFL Blitz ball which I assume one could use. Not sure if that code saved as I just randomly hit it before a game I played.

Oh and I did unlock the Cheese Head team, a Green Bay team with men wearing overalls and the triangle cheese on their heads. They are a boss team in the ladder type mode.

Up for a game with a rookie send me a PSN request, OPD188.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
MVP

bigball12's Arena

This is not my impression, i found it on the EA forums. He seems to reference OS.

Quote:
Eghh, I must say, even with having mid level expectations, this game is somewhat disappointing. The gameplay is very true to past Blitz's (Mainly Blitz 20-03). The game is much slower than nearly every previous version, which really does throw experienced users off, and I am sure will take some getting used to. The fact that there isn't a create a play is a disappointment. Even if they had a watered down version of the playmaker, it would be alright. I mean we could do this on the N64, how is this not an option on a seventh generation system? Also, something I found annoying is that left-handed QB's are righty. Tebow, Vick etc. This is actually something that really upset me. Even though it does not matter which side you roll out on in this game, the level of authenticity is nearly non-existent. I remember Brunell and Steve Young being left handed for N64. Again, really unacceptable.

Online is o.k. the server seemed fine, and I crushed my only opponent 35-3. Also another bug, is the fact that you cannot choose your jerseys. I was playing Raiders vs. Texans, and both had on black/navy jerseys. I have heard this was a problem from someone else on another site.

Lastly, these rosters are so insanely outdated/inconsistent with real life performance. As I am sure that some of you guys may no, there are a handful of players that are not even on their teams anymore, and a ton of deserving players that are not in the game. What I don't get is if a star LB gets left out (i.e. Lance Briggs) why do they not just put him on the line? Its ridiculous!

I simply do not understand how a game in production for this long, have what is portrayed to be a dedicated level of keeping the game as closely similar to the old versions as possible, and being over a 2 GB game, have this many absences.

I think I am being very generous in giving this game a 6/10, and if it wasn't for my fondness of the series, this would be an easy 5 or 4.5 out of 10.

Last edited by bigball12; 01-03-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
MVP

bigball12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by opd897
Sure, I'll give it a try. The rules say though that one cannot use a cheat code online that changes the gameplay. I don't have any cheat codes unlocked as of yet with the exception of the NFL Blitz ball which I assume one could use. Not sure if that code saved as I just randomly hit it before a game I played.

Oh and I did unlock the Cheese Head team, a Green Bay team with men wearing overalls and the triangle cheese on their heads. They are a boss team in the ladder type mode.

Up for a game with a rookie send me a PSN request, OPD188.
Thanks. Good news about no cheats online. Can you use the unlocked mascot/crazy teams online? Thanks for your time!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #16
MVP

bigball12's Arena

It looks like an EA Dev was trying to mask himself and save some feedback by creating a non-dev account and replying with the following. Another shrewd gamer seems to think this as well. The Metacrtic rating is notorious for being EA's method of judging success, he may be right.

Quote:
First off, not sure why there's just a bunch of kids on here moaning about NBA Jam OFE when the only things I've heard and experienced for myself were positive:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...n-fire-edition

I thought it was better in every way. I see no problem to releasing a better version for 15$ a year later. Geez. You guys are acting like babies. No game is perfect and no game will bring back that same nostalgic feeling as the original version a decade ago. Get over it and yourselves.

The no custom config thing is not awesome but is very, very standard and no way a reason to deny purchase. The ability to remap controls is less common these days then it used to. On some previous Blitz games you could NOT change controls either. AND why don't you try out the new controls, maybe they are absolutely fine.

And there's little reason to probably invest development and testing time to custom playbooks when few people would use them. This is a simple, pick up and play arcade game not Madden.

I swear you guys are just trying to find things to complain about. It's aggravating and probably discourages fan interaction and feedback gathering.

No custom playbooks or controls do not ruin the experience. If it does, your standards are too high and you should only play those "perfect" 3 games that have been released in the past 20 years.
Quote:
It is so evident that you work for EA. Nobody else but Electronic Arts measures a games success by metacritic rating. Did your superiors really want you to do this? Pathetic!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »