Home

MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills)

And let's not forget how much better the online play has improved in the 2K series the last couple years. It's often overlooked that 2K11 has the smoothest online gameplay in any baseball video game to date. Compare that to before VC took over (2K8 was unplayable online).......so obviously they haven't just thrown in the towel.....but I agree with Rudy that simply ironing out the bugs would go a long way. 2K11 is good, but it could've been great.

Last edited by jeffy777; 01-04-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0
This might make me sound old but does anyone rememeber World Series Baseball 2K on Dreamcast? I wish 2K would go back to some of the gameplay from that game. Not so gimmicky and really fun and felt good today.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #19
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Zone hitting was in back in 2K5. It was definitely in the game when Kush was developing it, and it was definitely VC who removed it.
Actually, it was Kush that removed it. It was removed either for 2K5 or 2K6 (not sure-the game was an abomination so I mostly skipped it).

Kush and Blue shift were both VC studios. VC took it "in house" for 2K9 which, ironically, is the first time zone/cursor (really more cursor) hitting was seen on this generation of consoles. 2K7 didn't have zone hitting. It was the same two modes we see now ("classic" and analog-though analog wasn't as good then).

So, Kush is actually the one to remove it (though, by the time they did, they were called 2KLA, I believe) first. I say first because VC then removed it from 2K10 and 2K11 after bringing it back for 2K9, unfortunately (something I was very vocal about at the time ).

Regardless, I agree zone hitting would provide (in theory, at least..as always, it comes down to how well it's programmed) better hit variety. I also agree it's an area in need of improvement...though it's funny that all this talk stems from a lazy article supposedly triggered by 2K12's cover...lol.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 01-04-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
though it's funny that all this talk stems from a lazy article supposedly triggered by 2K12's cover...lol.
Well said, ha.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
Banned

JOHN 3:16's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I don't think 2K has thrown the towel in either. If they did they wouldn't have offered the $1 million dollar perfect game competition the last two years (a complete waste of money though imo) and they wouldn't have paid to get Justin Verlander on the cover. If they were really throwing in the towel you would see Brad Penny on the cover.

The quote from the 2K execs was an obvious one. They won't continue the current license deal the way it is which guarantees them to lose money. It was a knee jerk reaction to the EA football exclusive license. I can definitely see 2K continue making a baseball game, certainly on the 360. Unless EA jumps back into baseball gaming, which is certainly a possibility, 2K still has a stranglehold on 360 baseball gaming and should be able to make money if their license fees drop.

Quality control WAS a major issue and after two years of 2K baseball where I've generally had a good time but annoyed at some obvious problems and bugs I doubt I will be getting 2K12 unless the previews are great.
EA is making a baseball game 2013. And isn't it funny they guy leaves the Show to work on Madden. Wait and see he'll be working on baseball game soon enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN 3:16
EA is making a baseball game 2013. And isn't it funny they guy leaves the Show to work on Madden. Wait and see he'll be working on baseball game soon enough.
I totally believe this is the case also.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I don't think 2K has thrown the towel in either. If they did they wouldn't have offered the $1 million dollar perfect game competition the last two years
That's an interesting point. Although one could also see that as 2K realizing they need some kind of extravagant marketing ploy, knowing the game wouldn't sell on its own merits otherwise. Honestly, which other game companies feel the need to entice people to buy their games by offering someone a once-in-a-lifetime chance to become a millionaire?

Here's how I see it: it's great that VC has been able to fix Kush's mess and put together a playable game (2K11) for the first time in half a decade. But they've done it entirely by subtraction. They removed features, removed sliders, and removed editing options. Meanwhile, they've added nothing new to the series over the past three years. All they've done is gotten the game back to where it should have been in 2008 or so. Which is fine.

But let's face it: from a graphics, animations and gameplay POV, the 2K series is still a good three or four years behind most other sports games out there. And VC has shown zero inclination to bring something brand new and innovative to the table with this series. IMO the article is spot on: the series appears to be in a kind of development limbo. And given all that, it seems unlikely as the article says that anything is suddenly going to change for 2K12. If that weren't the case, then surely we would have heard something by now about all the great stuff VC is working on. Once again their silence speaks volumes, just as it does every year at this time.

Last edited by peigone; 01-05-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
That's an interesting point. Although one could also see that as 2K realizing they need some kind of extravagant marketing ploy, knowing the game wouldn't sell on its own merits otherwise. Honestly, which other game companies feel the need to entice people to buy their games by offering someone a once-in-a-lifetime chance to become a millionaire?

Here's how I see it: it's great that VC has been able to fix Kush's mess and put together a playable game (2K11) for the first time in half a decade. But they've done it entirely by subtraction. They removed features, removed sliders, and removed editing options. Meanwhile, they've added nothing new to the series over the past three years. All they've done is gotten the game back to where it should have been in 2008 or so. Which is fine.

But let's face it: from a graphics, animations and gameplay POV, the 2K series is still a good three or four years behind most other sports games out there. And VC has shown zero inclination to bring something brand new and innovative to the table with this series. IMO the article is spot on: the series appears to be in a kind of development limbo. And given all that, it seems unlikely as the article says that anything is suddenly going to change for 2K12. If that weren't the case, then surely we would have heard something by now about all the great stuff VC is working on. Once again their silence speaks volumes, just as it does every year at this time.
C'mon man, to say VC hasn't brought nothing new to the series is not true. Though MLB Today, Living Roster's, Custom Camera's & Broadcast Presentation, are more of an NBA staple, bringing those features over to the MLB side has made this game the last 2 years much more enjoyable.

The game play is also much better. What 2k hasn't done well since taking over has been fixing/polishing the AI Code, & Animations. Graphically it is what is, as this game uses the same Graphics Engine as NBA 2k does.

What really bugs me is that VC still can't get this game to run @ 60fps with out a hitch. So annoying & takes away from the game.

Lastly, not hearing anything yet about the game is not unusual. Info doesn't trickle in until mid-Jan. This is how they do things. Not sure how that practice means VC is doing nothing & setting people up for failure

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »