Home

MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
C'mon man, to say VC hasn't brought nothing new to the series is not true. Though MLB Today, Living Roster's, Custom Camera's & Broadcast Presentation, are more of an NBA staple, bringing those features over to the MLB side has made this game the last 2 years much more enjoyable.

The game play is also much better. What 2k hasn't done well since taking over has been fixing/polishing the AI Code, & Animations. Graphically it is what is, as this game uses the same Graphics Engine as NBA 2k does.

What really bugs me is that VC still can't get this game to run @ 60fps with out a hitch. So annoying & takes away from the game.

Lastly, not hearing anything yet about the game is not unusual. Info doesn't trickle in until mid-Jan. This is how they do things. Not sure how that practice means VC is doing nothing & setting people up for failure
Joe is right. It's not true at all to say VC has added nothing new to the series. In addition to the stuff Joe mentioned, VC added My Player Mode, Postseason Mode, Practice Modes, much better Stealing Controls (actually being able to time your jump), they added seven new sliders last year including the Pitch Control slider (which is HUGE in terms of gameplay), plus they totally revamped the commentary (getting rid of Jon Miller and Joe Morgan, thank God!), and IMO this series now has the best commentary in any sports game.....then there's other things like the additions to Franchise mode (Trade Finder, Sabermetrics, etc.).....they made online play the smoothest we've ever seen in a baseball game (which is also huge)....plus they put out A PC VERSION....etc.

I could go on, but it's pretty clear that VC has added to and improved this series quite a bit since they've taken over.

And as Joe said, the lack of news means nothing. People said the same the last couple years, but yet 2K11 was a nice improvement over 2K10, and 2K10 was a big improvement over 2K9. It's been said a billion times before: 2K's marketing sucks....but VC has been putting out an improved game each year now for the past couple years, so all signs point to 2K12 being an even better game.....just don't expect perfection, lol.

Last edited by jeffy777; 01-05-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills)

I don't know why some people can't just face the truth about the MLB 2K series. It hasn't been handled correctly for the past 5 or so years. It's been passed from one set of developers to another set of developers and now it's just a shell of what it was supposed to be.

The gameplay has very little depth to it. The mechanics of hitting the ball are way too simple to capture what a batter thinks/feels at the plate because all the user does to swing is either press a button or move the analog stick up. There's nothing more to it, which is one main reason why I stopped playing MLB 2K11.

The analog hitting is essentially pressing a button. There's no punishment for bad timing the weight shift, so the user can just hold back well before the pitcher's windup, then tee off on a pitch without worrying. That's lame. I really don't consider that any way to represent batting in a licensed simulation MLB game that claims it delivers " the Major Leagues down to the minor details ".

The hitting overall did get better in 2011 though. They finally made the batted balls go the correct direction based on the timing of the swing, but that's 101 stuff. It's not something worth actual praise in a baseball video game released in 2011.

I'm not saying the game is horrible, but it isn't where it should be by now. I'd like to see MLB 2K12 pull a 180, but how or why would it now ? We're all aware this is the last year 2K will have the exclusive MLB license and they are losing money on the MLB 2K series. Why would they invest time, money, and effort into the game at this point ?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILurk
I don't know why some people can't just face the truth about the MLB 2K series. It hasn't been handled correctly for the past 5 or so years. It's been passed from one set of developers to another set of developers and now it's just a shell of what it was supposed to be.

The gameplay has very little depth to it. The mechanics of hitting the ball are way too simple to capture what a batter thinks/feels at the plate because all the user does to swing is either press a button or move the analog stick up. There's nothing more to it, which is one main reason why I stopped playing MLB 2K11.

The analog hitting is essentially pressing a button. There's no punishment for bad timing the weight shift, so the user can just hold back well before the pitcher's windup, then tee off on a pitch without worrying. That's lame. I really don't consider that any way to represent batting in a licensed simulation MLB game that claims it delivers " the Major Leagues down to the minor details ".

The hitting overall did get better in 2011 though. They finally made the batted balls go the correct direction based on the timing of the swing, but that's 101 stuff. It's not something worth actual praise in a baseball video game released in 2011.

I'm not saying the game is horrible, but it isn't where it should be by now. I'd like to see MLB 2K12 pull a 180, but how or why would it now ? We're all aware this is the last year 2K will have the exclusive MLB license and they are losing money on the MLB 2K series. Why would they invest time, money, and effort into the game at this point ?
Obviously this series isn't for you. Might be time to move on

Sent from Awesome Phone
Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILurk
And I don't know why you can't accept the fact that some people happen to enjoy playing 2K11. Sure, it could be better, but just because we enjoy it doesn't mean we need to "just face the truth" and accept your opinion about it....lol...

Last edited by jeffy777; 01-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #29
All Star

authentic's Arena

OVR: 37

I played this game (2k11) for about 15 minutes and took it back because I bought it used at GameStop. The game has potential in the fact that the presentation is pretty darn good. The commentary I thought was pretty good in the 2 innings I played. I just think they have dug themselves too deep with the bugs and glitches in recent years. We have seen crazier things though. I remember back when EA made Triple Play Baseball I think it was called? Then they switched to MVP and the game suddenly is still being said to be one of the best baseball sim's of all time.

If this games good in 2012, I'll probably buy it. I'll play the best game available.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

I felt 2K11 was a strong step forward in this series... Not sure what the author's point is. There is much to build on based upon the fun / simulation like experience I had. I got a set of sliders tweaked that game me EVERYTHING I've wanted in a baseball game since I played Tony LaRussa baseball back in my college days 20 years ago. Though not perfect, 2K11 was a great baseball gaming experience...
Old 01-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I felt 2K11 was a strong step forward in this series... Not sure what the author's point is. There is much to build on based upon the fun / simulation like experience I had. I got a set of sliders tweaked that game me EVERYTHING I've wanted in a baseball game since I played Tony LaRussa baseball back in my college days 20 years ago. Though not perfect, 2K11 was a great baseball gaming experience...

agreed.
am i the only one who is pumped for this game and there hasnt even been a morsel of info yet?
lol

it was SUCH a fresh experience last year.
I look forward to it again this year.
believe it or not, it was well worth the 60 bucks to me, glitches and all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #32
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
I totally believe this is the case also.
You guys may hope....but it's not the case.
Sorry.
It would be the best move EA could make though, but Madden it is for the man.

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »