Home

Video Game Software Sales Slide 14% in December, 6% for Entire Year

This is a discussion on Video Game Software Sales Slide 14% in December, 6% for Entire Year within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Video Game Software Sales Slide 14% in December, 6% for Entire Year

In a particularly grizzly report, the NPD group reported that total video game sales slid 21% in December with software sales sliding 14% for the month. This is particularly bad news since December happens to be the height of the shopping season in America and weak sales indicate the industry has taken a step backwards this season. For the entire year, software sales were down 6% compared to 2010, which was a modest drop.

In other related news, Madden NFL 12 appeared amongst the Top 10 selling games of the year. That is a ranking Madden has held onto firmly for several years now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
People are tired of putting up with sports games that don't innovate. I think this is evidence that a yearly release cycle tends to handcuff the quality of games.

Might also have something to do with the lack of bug testing and post-release support. Other than NHL12 (EASHL), I have no need to buy a sports game at launch until I see how things go.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Rookie

PackerBacker123's Arena

OVR: 6
BaylorBearBryant, I completely agree, if sports games do not innovate then their sales will fall even more.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 49
I'm not suprised its time for next gen. Graphics are very dated. Anyone who has had a xbox 360 since 2005 knows there has been little change really. There are still tons of jaggies, and 1080p native resolution is a must!!!! Now is the time for next gen IMO. Ive grown tired of both ps3 and 360 graphics....and that even goes for the best graphic games.

And regarding madden. If Madden 13 is drastically different, this will be the year it slips majorly. I know people are gonna say it sales every year, but Ive noticed a huge difference this year in the way people reacted to Madden 12. This year, they didnt moan and complain, they simply stopped playing, and traded in. IMO the reaction I witnessed was one where they just dont care anymore. I can relate, because thats where I am with the franchise.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 49
Edit to above:
If madden 13 isn't** drastically different
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
I can see why. Only Fifa and Football Manager really convinced me this year and made good improvements. Other games basically don't have any innovating features and you couldn't really say if you're playing the '08 or '11 version in most games because there aren't much if any noticeable differences.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21
With services such as Game Fly and Blockbuster Combo Pass, there really isn't much incentive to buy games anymore. The vast majority of games lack re-playability in my opinion. Even online gets repetitive for some games. Like others have mentioned, games just aren't innovating anymore. Everyone is just following the same formula, hoping to replicate the success of the titles that came before it. That's what happens when you have big business putting the bottomline over a quality product.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
With services such as Game Fly and Blockbuster Combo Pass, there really isn't much incentive to buy games anymore. The vast majority of games lack re-playability in my opinion. Even online gets repetitive for some games. Like others have mentioned, games just aren't innovating anymore. Everyone is just following the same formula, hoping to replicate the success of the titles that came before it. That's what happens when you have big business putting the bottomline over a quality product.
Is it possible that we're seeing a law of diminishing returns in gaming? Have we hit a point where this is about as good as it will get?

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »