Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Video - Adjusting Your Stance

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Video - Adjusting Your Stance within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Video - Adjusting Your Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingguru
I also believe TW 2005 for the PS2 had the diagonal swing for draws and fades... Not groundbreaking by any means...
Okay fine. But what about the analog pitching in The Show, that at least sounds groundbreaking, right? C'mon, throw me a bone here...
Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Regarding my swing plane comments, I'm for the most part a PC clicker, which explains my ignorance lol. But I have to say: anytime I've played the PC or console versions and used the stick to swing, the only time I was ever able to get a solid, proper shot off was to move the stick perfectly along the center swing plane. And deviation resulted in a bad shot, period. So this idea of being able to shape decent shots with the swing stick is all news to me.

That still hasn't been confirmed. You may still be swinging straight, just that the marker and foot placement shows the inside out path it would take because you changed positions. It could be only cosmetic just like it appears for the foot stance since that automatically changes when your marker does. They are just showing it to you in a graphic which doesn't really enhance the sim experience.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
It could be only cosmetic just like it appears for the foot stance since that automatically changes when your marker does. They are just showing it to you in a graphic which doesn't really enhance the sim experience.
Why those short-haired yellow-bellied sons of Tricky Dicky...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Is it for known for certain that you have to pull back to the left or the right and follow thru in a diagonal manner when executing draws\fades or does pulling straight back give you that diagonal swing plane simply because you have adjusted your aiming marker for a draw\fade? I have yet to hear it mentioned one way or the other.
From what I've seen and read, adjusting your stance will be the default method of producing draw or fade. You'll still try to track the swing plane to produce the desired shot based on how you set your stance. If you were to venture off that swing plane during the execution of the swing, you'd get a proportional error in the shot result, I'm guessing.

OTOH, I can see how it would be possible to produce a draw or fade simply by intentionally swinging inside/out or outside/in, but I would think it would be less predictable. I really don't know this, I'm just speculating. There seems to be a lot about this new swing mechanic that just defies description, which I think *could* bode well for it meaning that it's possibly not the plot & fire laser bombing fest we've been seeing.

Quote:
I sure hope it's the former but wouldn't it make more sense simply to change your swing path while your aiming marker is pointed straight like you would do in real life? It seems changing feet position is simply a cosmetic touch which isn't mutually exclusive of your aiming marker position. IE: you can't change your foot position independently while setting up a shot.
I use my stance and my swing path alignment to play draws and fades in real life. I don't consciously try to produce an inside/out or outside/in swing plane because I know it would be disastrous for a 10 handicapper to do so. I do let my aiming alignment and stance produce that effect naturally. I can't tell yet whether Tiger 13 will let me manually produce what I do in real life, but based on what I've already seen, I think it will at least let me get closer to that in the game.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
I think Links 2003 for the Xbox executed fades\draws dependent on your swing plane.
You mean Links 2004 for the XBox, right? I still play it three or four times a month and uses the right thumbstick to produce fades and draws. You have to hold the stick to the degree of draw/fade/backspin you want on the ball throughout the swing. You can introduce errors by getting off the swing plane though, but that's not how the game, even in Advanced difficulty, is designed to "work" the ball.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
It seems changing feet position is simply a cosmetic touch which isn't mutually exclusive of your aiming marker position. IE: you can't change your foot position independently while setting up a shot.
From what I have read, yes you can.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
TW for the PC had that type of shot control for years. I may be mistaken because I haven't played it for a long time but I think Links 2003 for the Xbox executed fades\draws dependent on your swing plane.
In TW for PC, you did not have true foot positioning with TrueSwing. You executed draws and fades primarily using the mouse to execute swing path. They DID have ball positioning at address, but I do not recall foot positioning which is what they are bringing to TW13. And IMO, that is bringing more of a simulation-like quality than what we have had in the past, especially if you can indeed change foot positioning to your actual swing. This however may be tied to the swing arc (which is OFF by default in the most challenging level called Tournament) and this would then force you to guess as to where your foot alignment is going to impact the shot. I think that ups the ante on simulation-like qualities of the swing. You could always use standard foot placement and execute your shot using the swing stick. All speculation though until we can play the game/demo...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
In TW for PC, you did not have true foot positioning with TrueSwing. You executed draws and fades primarily using the mouse to execute swing path. They DID have ball positioning at address, but I do not recall foot positioning which is what they are bringing to TW13. And IMO, that is bringing more of a simulation-like quality than what we have had in the past, especially if you can indeed change foot positioning to your actual swing. This however may be tied to the swing arc (which is OFF by default in the most challenging level called Tournament) and this would then force you to guess as to where your foot alignment is going to impact the shot. I think that ups the ante on simulation-like qualities of the swing. You could always use standard foot placement and execute your shot using the swing stick. All speculation though until we can play the game/demo...
I hope that's the case because if moving your feet independently moves your aiming marker in the same respect then that just means you're not guessing at anything because you know where's it going to land and that was all available to us last year, just dressed up differently.

IMO the only true sim experience would be forcing you to flick the joystick inside out or vice versa. In video golf the closest you can come to making the joystick feel like a golf club, the better. That's intuitive, anything else is not. I'm remember feeling extremely satisfied in TW PC when I could execute a good draw or fade based on the way I brought my mouse back and then forward. Having to set my feet in that game was inconsequential because it's the swing you can only control during the execution of a shot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »