Home

MLB 12 The Show Gameplay Video - Angels vs. Rangers

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show Gameplay Video - Angels vs. Rangers within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: MLB 12 The Show Gameplay Video - Angels vs. Rangers

I know they said all new physics, but for some reason there were a couple of foul balls that bounced off the fence that looked exactly like years past. It's like it's slows down too fast or something after hitting the wall.

Just wondering, I'm hoping it's just one of those things that you can feel when playing versus watching one video online.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #18
Pro

Doran's Arena

OVR: 4

I liked that Aybar's stat overlay and commentary mention after he stole second wasn't mentioned until after the first pitch thrown post-steal. That was a neat addition.

I'm just waiting for the first uniform geek to mention that Napoli's helmet was still blue when they're wearing the red jerseys. Oh wait, that was me.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 21

Angels pitcher is balking on almost every pitch with men on base. Never comes to a full stop.

C
Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
The baserunners go half way when it's a fly ball to the outfield. Then David Murphy jumped and got a glove on it. Now the runners start to run back to their base. Once they see that the ball has not been caught they advance. It's basic baserunning rules. You're not going to start running around the bases when the ball is up in the air like that and could possibly be caught.
Edit:

Watched the video again and the runners never go back.

The runner on 2nd stayed on 2nd to tag up. The runner on 1st, actually runs nearly all the way to 2nd.

I like what the runner on 1st did. Good base running.

My understanding is if you're on 2nd, you always go halfway on a ball hit to left field because you can see the ball. If it's dropped, you can score. If it's caught, you can get back to 2nd. If it's caught deep, you still might have time to tag up at 2nd and go to 3rd. That also depends on the situation. Clearly, that ball was going to be a tough catch so you gotta go halfway on that.

The runner on 2nd should have scored.

Now...there's always the off-hand chance that baserunning ability might have come into play here. I don't know.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 02-22-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
Rookie

Haggis's Arena

OVR: 5

From an AI perspective, what exactly does baserunning ability influence?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #22
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
From an AI perspective, what exactly does baserunning ability influence?
Steal success for sure... Maybe also the base path they take (i.e., you may round the bases with more optimal path)? Not very sure about the latter though.

BR aggressiveness determines how often steals are attempted... that also probably affects the aggressiveness to take the next base (not so sure).

In general CPU tended to be a bit more aggressive in base path in the past.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
Rookie

Bulls321974's Arena

OVR: 6
HD video not playing. Could somebody upload an HD version on YouTube, please?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
Rookie

BaseballT's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Edit:

Watched the video again and the runners never go back.

The runner on 2nd stayed on 2nd to tag up. The runner on 1st, actually runs nearly all the way to 2nd.

I like what the runner on 1st did. Good base running.

My understanding is if you're on 2nd, you always go halfway on a ball hit to left field because you can see the ball. If it's dropped, you can score. If it's caught, you can get back to 2nd. If it's caught deep, you still might have time to tag up at 2nd and go to 3rd. That also depends on the situation. Clearly, that ball was going to be a tough catch so you gotta go halfway on that.

The runner on 2nd should have scored.

Now...there's always the off-hand chance that baserunning ability might have come into play here. I don't know.
I played college ball as a shortstop, and now coach, and the general rule is that yes if the ball is in the air, runners go halfway initially. If your on second, you actually retreat closer to the bag as the outfielder gets closer to the ball. That way if Murphy catches that ball, you are able to quickly tag up and get to third on a ball that normally you would not be able to tag on (ball to left field). I can't see the runner to say that is what happened in the game, and he probably still should have scored, but this is what is supposed to happen in real life. On a separate but related note, my concern is the outfielder's arm strength. I mean, I know Cruz has an absolute cannon, but that throw he makes is impressive by even his standards. It's more prevalent in the Cubs vs Cards vid, where Soriano throws frozen ropes that he is generally incapable of ever throwing. Just my opinion on both areas, though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »