Home

MLB '12: The Show Review (PS3)

This is a discussion on MLB '12: The Show Review (PS3) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #17
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
Great great review. I agree that this is the best MLB The Show game and possibly the best baseball game ever made
Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 11
"...I believe MLB 12: The Show to be the closest and truest representation of a sport on consoles today."
I concur to the fullest.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 7
Letter perfect review! There does seem to be more batted balls bouncing off the pitcher and/or fielded, than in previous versions. But, nothing too unusual.

The balls off the outfield walls are not as easy of Doubles as they should be. Slower runners sometimes get thrown out. Makes the game a little more jnteresting though. Hehe
Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #20
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
I've heard the lack of replays in some other posts as well but they start later this year. In previous installments they would kick in immediately but now you first see the camera focus on the pitcher or batter and then cut to the replay. Just like they do in a real broadcast because they quickly have to wind back and cut the replay to show it properly.

Overall there are less replays but thats a good thing in my opinion because there were way to many last year. But I think lots of people don't see them because they press the button before the replay kicks in.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
Greatest "Show" on Earth!

Yankees_CT's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: MLB '12: The Show Review (PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
I've heard the lack of replays in some other posts as well but they start later this year. In previous installments they would kick in immediately but now you first see the camera focus on the pitcher or batter and then cut to the replay. Just like they do in a real broadcast because they quickly have to wind back and cut the replay to show it properly.

Overall there are less replays but thats a good thing in my opinion because there were way to many last year. But I think lots of people don't see them because they press the button before the replay kicks in.
I was going to comment on this as well. They seemed to have delayed the replays in certain circumstances this year which I agree is more realistic. On strikeouts it takes a few seconds of seeing the pitcher walk back to the mound before the replay kicks in. I noticed that if your patient and wait for it you will get a great amount of replays but if you only wait a couple of seconds after a play and hit the button it by passes the sequence altogether. I agree with the above and think that may be the problem that people are having with replays.

By the way - LOVE this year’s version. For me, since 08, The Show has been the best baseball and sports game period. This year just solidifies that.

Edit: Great review Caley. Fair and balanced like a Fox

Last edited by Yankees_CT; 03-16-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the actual review...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1
I wish I had to the option to have this game. It seems like this game just gets better every year by building on its foundation. Unlike Madden which seems to adopt the this is new but we are taking this away approach..I will probably switch over to the PS4 as long as it comes out around the same time as xbox's next system as long as the online will still continue to be free that is..
Old 03-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #23
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

A fair and balanced review.

For Baseball junkies MLB 12 is the best console baseball game ever made. The ball physics are groundbreaking. The sound effects off the bat and into the glove are just amazing. This year hitting feels so much more "real" than ever before. Also the new collsion detection was a huge addition. It is something that has been asked for for years. And it makes a huge difference especially on your 6-4-3 and 5-4-3 DP's. I am now able to break them up sometimes and it looks.....AWESOME.

Out of the box the game plays great. But veterans of the series have a way they want games to unfold over 162 games. The slider adjustments are slight....but if a player takes some time they can get this game to play pretty much a perfect game of baseball IMO. Every year we get the obligitory "I can't hit" thread. And every year it is the same solution. Be honest with yourself and hit at your skill level and use the interface that suits you the best. The Show gives all the options needed to have a great playing experience. So what if you hit on rookie or veteran. Adjust the sliders to compensate for the cpu pitcher throwing too many strikes to get your walks up and dial down your human sliders to get a more realisitc hit/power number total.

The beauty of the show is a casual player can enjoy this game and hardcore stat junkie can too.

MLB The 2012 is the best sports game I have ever played. And I said the same thing about 2011.

9.5/10

I don't play online hence the .50 point higher review.

Perfect. No. No game will ever be perfect. Humans make the games. We are not perfect.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 03-16-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I fair and balanced review.

For Baseball junkies MLB 12 is the best console baseball game ever made. The ball physics are groundbreaking. The sound effects off the bat and into the glove are just amazing. This year hitting feels so much more "real" than ever before. Also the new collsion detection was a huge addition. It is something that has been asked for for years. And it makes a huge difference especially on your 6-4-3 and 5-4-3 DP's. I am now able to break them up sometimes and it looks.....AWESOME.

Out of the box the game plays great. But veterans of the series have a way they want games to unfold over 162 games. The slider adjustments are slight....but if a player take some time they can get this game to play pretty much a perfect game of baseball IMO. Every year we get the obligitory "I can't hit" thread. And every year it is the same solution. Be honest with yourself and hit at your skill level and use the interface that suits you the best. The Show gives all the options needed to have a great playing experience. So what if you hit on rookie or veteran. Adjust the sliders to compensate for the cpu pitcher throwing too many strikes to get your walks up and dial down your human sliders to get a more realisitc hit/power number total.

The beauty of the show is a casual player can enjoy this game and harcore stat junkie can too.

MLB The 2012 is the best sports game I have ever played. And I said the same thing about 2011.

9.5/10

I don't play online hence the .50 point higher review.

Perfect. No. No game will ever be perfect. Humans make the games. We are not perfect.
Yep.
To make the perfect game...
You need the perfect human.
Not happening.
This game is light years ahead of any other baseball game though...IMO.

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »