Home

EA Shutting Down MMA Servers on April 13th, Online Pass Users Affected, Is it Fair?

This is a discussion on EA Shutting Down MMA Servers on April 13th, Online Pass Users Affected, Is it Fair? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
EA Shutting Down MMA Servers on April 13th, Online Pass Users Affected, Is it Fair?

Due to lack of activity, there are quite a few game servers shutting down on April 13th. EA Sports MMA is one of the games included on the list, which might raise a few eyebrows.

The game has been out for roughly a year and a half and required an Online Pass for multiplayer. Anyone buying a used copy, had to cough up another $10.00 to access the feature.

Is it fair to the consumer to shut down online services for a game that is roughly 18 months old?

Below is a list of games that will be affected.

April 13, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown
  • BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii
  • Burnout™ Revenge for Xbox 360
  • EA Create for PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
  • EA Sports Active 2.0 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
  • EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp for Wii
  • FIFA 10 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
  • The Godfather™ II for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
  • MMA for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
  • Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
  • The Saboteur™ (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
  • Spare Parts for PlayStation 3 Xbox 360
March 31, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown
  • BATTLEFIELD™ 3: Aftershock for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
  • Fantasi Safari for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
  • Ghost Harvest for iPhone
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
do I think it's fair? No. I love EA's MMA but there are never more than 10-20 players online (on PS3) so I see why they shut down the servers. It's sad because I like the game more than the UFC games.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
That's a fundamental problem with the the Online Pass, you run the risk of not getting full value. I'm not an online gamer by any means, but I feel for online gamers. In this day and age, you have to support the things you love, whether it be financially or just being online playing the game constantly. In this case, EA already made their money and no one is showing up anymore. Costs money to keep those servers online...completely understand their decision, still stinks for those people.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8
I wondered about this type of thing when the Online Pass idea was announced. I'm pretty sure that it says somewhere that EA reserves the right to discontinue online service. I think they're supposed to give a certain amount of notice but they seem to be covered legally. Is it fair? If you look at it similar to a subscription, sure. $10 for 18 months of service comes out to just over 50c/month so I'm inclined to at least say that it's not unfair enough to complain about. That said, it's not sold as a "subscription" so they should consider refunding money to anyone that purchased the pass for that game within the last 3-6 months since they did so believing that the service would be available for a longer period of time. Doubt that would happen but that's my opinion.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1
I've always been against the online pass and always thought it was a complete ripoff. When I go buy a used car and go to drive it off the lot, there is not a $200 code I have to insert into the dashboard to make the car run.

Best thing to do is not only voice your concern to EA but stop buying games that support this sort of "Pure Greed". That is what it is. Pure and simple. Greed. And best way to support it, is to stop buying the games that have online codes. There have been many games that I never played due to online codes. I am not going to support that type business practice. Homefront was a game I did not buy soley of the Online Pass, I had fun during the online trial period. Would have purchased the game if no Online Pass. Way the game did not sell, think lot of other people felt the same as me.

Dumb thing on companies like EA that do this -- they lose lot of other and easy money. Like Mass Effect 2 and 3 I never purchased the DLC. I would have bought the DLC and played it, but to charge me $10 for just the mere privilege to "download" the DLC, forget you. You lost my money to even buy more of the game.

Bottom line: Online Pass Codes are very bad practices and is only fustrating players to not want the product.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5
guess ill never get that achvmt for having all the online belts for each class. only had the lightweight left but nobody barely chose those classes. this sux. im a gamer that has a extensive library. i kinda run around a rotation. but then i like to spice it up and revisit games i havent played in awhile. this was one i wanted to play again just to get that belt i need. its almost like i feel i have to play a game constantly before servers get shutdown. esp if its a yearly release.

i think this is bad for MMA because there isnt gonna be a MMA 2 to take over. we're just left out in the cold. they could easily run this game on very few servers since its not a ton of players like a COD or Battlefield. reallocate a few servers from the crappy games on the list and continue support.

i primarily buy all games new. my new to used ratio is like 85% new 15% used. but i still dislike online pass regardless cuz its totally unnecessary. if u put out good product...most will buy new on release anyway. they still got a good cash grab with dlc to get money from late comers who buy used. put out quality titles and quality dlc and you will make ur money.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
2K Sports maintains online servers for all of their games that don't have sequels (All Pro Football, College Hoops, NHL 2K, etc.).

I don't see why EA can't adopt the same policy.

It makes sense to drop the servers for Madden 09 or FIFA 08, but not for a game like MMA that has no direct sequel.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Perfectly stated wEEman. I'm STILL playing APF2K8 to this day with plenty of friends.

EA is simply doing what big corporations do: make that money, even if it is on the backs of it's customers. Online Pass is a complete sham, but I understand why it was implemented: to make money off the millions of copies of yearly-throwaway sports games which are traded in within weeks upon release. Its really unfair to the sports gamer who has to purchase a new game each season simply for a glorified roster update and minimal game updates - this goes for nearly ALL sports games from any developer - and then you couple the fact that these games have even less shelf life due to Online Pass fees and server shut-downs.

Sports gamers get it the worst, yet we continue to bend over backwards to accomodate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »