Home

EA Shutting Down MMA Servers on April 13th, Online Pass Users Affected, Is it Fair?

This is a discussion on EA Shutting Down MMA Servers on April 13th, Online Pass Users Affected, Is it Fair? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
And yes with Mass Effect I am 99.99999999999999% sure without Online Pass, you are not able to play the DLC you purchased.

Someone please confirm this for me?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #18
Rookie

mcmax3000's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: EA Shutting Down MMA Servers on April 13th, Online Pass Users Affected, Is it Fai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyinPA75
And yes with Mass Effect I am 99.99999999999999% sure without Online Pass, you are not able to play the DLC you purchased.

Someone please confirm this for me?
For Mass Effect 2, there are two types of DLC:

1) Cerberus Network. That's the "online pass". It gives you access to additional content. If you buy the game new, you get access to that content at no charge. If not, you have to pay for the Cerberus Network membership but the content you download does not have any additional costs once you have that membership.

2) Premium DLC. That content has no link to the Cerberus Network. You pay for each piece of content and you can play it regardless of whether or not you've redeemed the "online pass".

So, yes, there is some content that requires the online pass but it's not content that you have to pay extra for outside of the Cerberus Network pass.

I've played through all of ME2 & all of its DLC (Cerberus Network & Premium) so I'm well aware of how it works.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
Rookie

mcmax3000's Arena

Re: EA Shutting Down MMA Servers on April 13th, Online Pass Users Affected, Is it Fai

Quote:
You really need to go back and read that entire post. Then you will see your comment really does fit in with what you are saying here.
I'm not really sure what you're saying there.

My only point was that your $60 + $10 math doesn't make sense because no rational human being would pay $60 for a used game when they could get a new copy for the exact same price, meaning they wouldn't need to pay the additional $10 for the online pass.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1
"John goes to a game store, picks up a new game, and is having a blast with it. He wants his friends to play. But no one wants to put down money on a game with no history behind it, nor do they want to PAY $10 for the “privilege” to PLAY the game they JUST BOUGHT. But John talks to let’s say, for this conversation, 8 friends. Only one of those friends buys. So game + online pass is $70"

John buys game new that is $60. His friend buys game used then online pass which is $10. 60 + 10 = 70 last time I check. Think my math makes sense. That is of course if you read the post as I suggested you do so.

This is money the publisher should see in "theroy". Used game sales do not show up.

Once again, let suggest on reading the post.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #21
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
I think they should consider the reason why there are so few people online for certain games. Most of them seem to be old but MMA is less than 2 years old and its online community is no doubt suffering because people picking it up late don't want to commit to an online pass. I saw this for $5.99 last week now there's no way I'm picking it up new or used. I know they are likely happy that this means more people will buy 2 and 3.

If you are going to force the online pass you should really be prolonging the server life, not necessarily 3 or 4 years but certainly more than 18 months. I also feel they should eliminate the online pass from the moment they announce the shutdown and let new users play free until the shutdown happens, that way nobody spends the money on the pass for only a few weeks of use.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
Rookie

mcmax3000's Arena

Quote:
John buys game new that is $60. His friend buys game used then online pass which is $10. 60 + 10 = 70 last time I check. Think my math makes sense. That is of course if you read the post as I suggested you do so.

This is money the publisher should see in "theroy". Used game sales do not show up.

Once again, let suggest on reading the post.
I definitely read the post. The way your original post was written implied to me that the same person was paying the $60 for the game & the $10 for the Online Pass.

I understand now that you were combining the amounts that the publisher makes from the two different people.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Are there even any other sports games with an online spectator mode? I can't think of any.

For some reason, spectator mode has only caught on in fighting games.
Virtua Tennis 3.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Online Fight card is bar none the best multiplayer mode ever created. God that first night with the game, and the sheer reactions from that one punch ko. Then setting up cards with friends, and actually watching your friends fights. Sheer awesomeness.
I REMEMBER that 1 punch KO(I believe it was a superman punch if I remember correctly). We were dying laughing our butts off. What a blast that night was!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »