Home

NHL 12: Role Players for Your Franchise

This is a discussion on NHL 12: Role Players for Your Franchise within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 12: Role Players for Your Franchise

Of all the big sports, it seems hockey loves its character guys the most. And with the real playoffs rapidly approaching the horizon, perhaps this is a good time to explore some potential role player additions to your NHL 12 franchise if you team is a contender at the trade deadline.

Yes, everybody wants to trade for a superstar, but why not explore some lesser hyped players? Those that play on your third line who, come playoff time, can ultimately be the difference maker. After all, the Bruins didn't win because they went after a marquee name at the deadline. No, they got great help from the likes of Rich Peverley and Chris Kelly. And these character guys, hopefully, will give your team the push it needs to go all the way to lift Lord Stanley’s Cup.

In the world of NHL 12, many of these players can be had at the price of a decent prospect and middle pick. Is it worth it? Well, if your team is that close to winning it all, you owe it to yourself to go all out. Besides, it gives me a good reason to write this article.

Ultimately, when it comes to role players, there are two routes you can take: You can look for well-rounded players who do a little bit of everything, or you can grab a player who is good at one particular set of attributes. It all depends on the rest of your team and your playing style.

Read More - NHL 12: Role Players for Your Franchise
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15
There's quite a few role players that you can plug in thanks to the ratings system. Danny Cleary always plays well for me. Eric Christensen is another player that plays above his ratings. He has a good faceoff rating and is cheap. As for defenseman you can get Garnet Exelby cheap and he has no problem playing a 2 way game for me. Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky always seem to be free agents in the offseason and will help round out your roster.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Rookie

NIUDAWG's Arena

OVR: 3
Hjalmmerson or Leddy from the blackhawks
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 12: Role Players for Your Franchise

Traded for C Dave Steckel (TOR) on draft day going into year two of my Caps franchise. I know I'm biased (he is a former Cap and I always hated the trade to send him to NJ for Arnott), but this guy is a steal. Size makes him a factor at both ends of the ice and FACEOFFS, oh my, the faceoff ability. Gives up a bit in terms of speed, but if you flank him with some SPD and ACCEL guys, Steckel is extremely solid as a 4th line center. Never had to spend more than $1.7 to resign him, and I usually give him 1-year deals. I don't mind spending that much for a guy who goes 70% in the circles! Added bonus: 5 years in, at age 35, his potential is still (C-, C, C-) and he is 82 OVR.

Speaking of SPD and ACCEL guys, I traded for Brandon McMillan (ANA) in year 1 of the franchise as a long-term replacement for burner Jason Chimera, and boy is McMillan FAST. Spent a couple of years on my AHL squad with occasional call-ups, resigned him (I think in year 3?) for 3 years @ $800k on a 1-way. Listed as a C, I play him at wing alongside Steckel and couldn't be happier. As an 81 OVR, he plays a critical role on the checking line and killing penalties. Can't tell you how many penalties I've drawn by virtue of this guy's wheels, even in shorthanded situations! Never progressed beyond mediocrity in OFF or DEF attributes, but the speed is undeniable. Great role player.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
Valteri Filpula is also a great role player. I was able to land him from the Wings, great speed, great faceoffs, even if he just has slightly above average scoring abilities.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Rookie

jhendricks316's Arena

OVR: 32
I find it interesting how I have two of these guys. I love Cogliano as a 4th line center with his killer speed. I just got Santorelli via trade.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »