Home

Madden NFL 13 Video - Replay Footage and Packers vs. Bears Pre-Game (Pastapadre)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Video - Replay Footage and Packers vs. Bears Pre-Game (Pastapadre) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #113
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 13 Video - Replay Footage and Packers vs. Bears Pre-Game (Pastapadre)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Shopmaster mentioned this.

"All is not lost if your receiver isn’t looking for the ball and you want to throw to him though. You can still throw to that receiver whose icon is still “ghosted”, but you will have to switch over and user catch it yourself. This is also true for the defense." http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ay-review.html

Also this was stated in the EA game play playbook blog

"The new Read and React Defensive AI System ties directly into what I talked above with the receiver not being able to play catches unless they see the ball, so it works for both sides of the ball. This change will affect both the offense and defense in different ways, but nobody will be able to catch or swat unless they see the ball first. However, if the user has manually taken control and attempts to make a play on the ball, they will still have a shot at success." http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/n...fl-13-gameplay

This sounds really bad to me. Makes me seem like user control will defy this feature entirely and the over abundance of interceptions will continue. (Praise the OS lords I don't have to deal with a TNT response to that...)

From the sounds of it, any experienced user catch player will easily break this system and make it look like M12 if they can click on and catch like we do now. They need to make it so that you are delayed in movement until the player sees it or something, or else this is just offline fluff or for those who don't user online...which wouldn't be any competitive player. Is the competitive player base really that small?

I'm actually really surprised at:

A) EA devs saying they can't user catch very good...I mean really? Play your game more! I've only played about 100 games a year since this generation started and user catching is as easy as walking down the street for me. Not saying I'm amazing at it, just saying it's really not that hard to make an attempt on the ball using most routes. As a DB it's really easy to take an out of position player and turn it into a play on the ball.

B) So many people having trouble catching the ball on their own. A single night of practicing it should make you fairly comfortable in doing so. Why is it so hard for people to learn this? Bring back training drills, that was really quite helpful in teaching how to user catch! An hour of that and you're money.

Pretty disappointing to hear though.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #114
Rookie

OVR: 1
do we really need phil simms and jim nantz in the game? i dont mind them talking but we dont need to see them
Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #115
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden NFL 13 Video - Replay Footage and Packers vs. Bears Pre-Game (Pastapadre)

@tfctillidie, I feel you but the blog does say "a shot at success" so maybe that means it will not be a given like M12.

Also, I had the exact same concern when they announced this for NCAA 13 and I was told, given the added ball speeds, trajectories and quicker smoother animations, passes aren't in the air anywhere near as long as last year, so that means less time to make User adjustments.

So if someone intended to snap the ball and instantly throw a pass to an unsuspecting receiver, then quickly User control to make the catch, it would be inherently more difficult than last year due to how much quicker the ball is "on" the receiver.

I personally believe that a lot of this stuff has been done to target "cheese"/program exploitation but they just aren't pushing that point. If they come out and say they have intentionally made it harder to do ___ when User controlled, even if that makes it more realistic, you have those in the Madden community that would freak. lol.

I know they did that with throwing back across the QB's body but just watch how many times they keep justifying that so the "it's just a video game, if I wanted real I'd play outside" masses don't protest. It's funny to me seeing the devs try to gently persuade gamers that realistic is a fun way to play Madden after all these years of Madden-ball.

Of all the risks this new team might take, trying to transition the Madden masses into enjoying more realistic game play, is the biggest, imo, but I applaud them for taking it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #116
Pro

OVR: 0

I think/hope you're right. EA's announced features don't ever seem to play out the way we want them to tho, so we'll have to see for ourselves in August.

It's easily my biggest frustration, despite that it tends to be where I can succeed in the game, I just want better realism. I can't play the CPU cause of it, they just can't compete vs a user catch...but the game is really frustrating without user catch because so many throws don't work with a CPU target.

Here's hoping..
Old 04-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #117
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Shopmaster mentioned this.

"All is not lost if your receiver isn’t looking for the ball and you want to throw to him though. You can still throw to that receiver whose icon is still “ghosted”, but you will have to switch over and user catch it yourself. This is also true for the defense." http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ay-review.html

Also this was stated in the EA game play playbook blog

"The new Read and React Defensive AI System ties directly into what I talked above with the receiver not being able to play catches unless they see the ball, so it works for both sides of the ball. This change will affect both the offense and defense in different ways, but nobody will be able to catch or swat unless they see the ball first. However, if the user has manually taken control and attempts to make a play on the ball, they will still have a shot at success." http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/n...fl-13-gameplay
The shopmaster quote is something I really don't like. We'll see how it works but I agree with tfctilidie. Sounds like a return of the rocket catch days at worst and at best, a very arcade-like feature that allows gamers to override situations where wrs aren't supposed to be ready for the ball. Either way, it doesn't sound like an approach focused on realism.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #118
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
The shopmaster quote is something I really don't like. We'll see how it works but I agree with tfctilidie. Sounds like a return of the rocket catch days at worst and at best, a very arcade-like feature that allows gamers to override situations where wrs aren't supposed to be ready for the ball. Either way, it doesn't sound like an approach focused on realism.
This is where I am leaning. It doesn't seem like they solved anything here. Once again, player movement is going to play a major role in yet another football area. So basically, if I do nothing, my AI controlled defender/WR will not make a play for the ball if he's not looking (this is cool). However, even if he's not looking, and is completely out of position, I can take control of him and then move him into position to make a play on the ball? Ok, this can be good if it's done right. The player should only be able to be moved into a position to make a play on the ball if his body positioning would allow it. I don't want to be able to make my guy do a complete 180 while running in the opposite direction. That's exactly what ruined Madden 12 with the warping and the over abundance of interceptions/catches in triple coverage. I agree with the TC also in that user catching is already too easy. I posted about this in an earlier post.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #119
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut55
do we really need phil simms and jim nantz in the game? i dont mind them talking but we dont need to see them
No, but it's something different, which I don't mind at all. Brings a little life into the pregame, IMO.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #120
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

We will have to wait and see how it all is implemented but from the way I understand it, the added transitional/situational animations added should help diminish the visual WTF moments for User catching and pass defending.

For example, in that Woodson clip shown in the video, if switching to User control without actually turning him around, strafing to attempt a INT, which should be more difficult this year due to reduced ball flight time, hitting the "catch" button should cause an applicable animation to trigger in M13.

It seems to me many of the issues in M12's WR/DB moments, stemmed from a lack of the correct animation being available to trigger for a given situation. So a defender with their back to the play being User controlled in M12 could trigger either a ridiculous over the shoulder "no look" grab or some superhuman looking instant turnaround INT/swat. This year, IF the proper animations are available, it should look far more realistic in relation to the situation.

That said, people need to realize, as a User playing in the "god view", certain actions most likely will and should be far more successful in the game because unlike the in-game player, the User defender can actually time the swat/pass defense better, since they can see the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyW5EkUQYk

I am as big of a User control realistic limitations advocate as anybody but there are some reasonable trade offs for playing from the current game play view, that have to acknowledged.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 04-27-2012 at 03:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »