Home

OS Tip of the Day: Know the Pitcher If You Want to Steal

This is a discussion on OS Tip of the Day: Know the Pitcher If You Want to Steal within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Tip of the Day: Know the Pitcher If You Want to Steal

Some pitchers are faster to the plate than others. Knowing these small things that will lead to more steals.

Know the Pitcher

One thing that often goes overlooked is the opposing pitcher. There are main three things to be mindful of when factoring pitchers into the "steal equation:"

1. His pickoff move. If it's a good one, you won't be able to extend your lead enough to be successful. You'll only know this by making him throw over a time or two.
  2. His delivery: If he's slow or deliberate to plate, it will give you more time to get a better jump. Look to activate the runner as soon as he's in his motion home.
  3. Pitch speed: A harder throw means less time to the plate, and more time for the catcher to throw you out.

So, if you are facing a soft-throwing pitcher with a poor pickoff move and a long delivery time, have fun!

Who are the easiest pitchers to steal on in the game?
Platform: PS Vita / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
This is where sites like ESPN could really come in handy, but ESPN's scouting report is all Inside Edge, which has its use (especially in 2K12), but it's mainly for statheads. It doesn't have the equivalent of John Hollinger's NBA scouting reports, which break down every notable player in the league by strengths, weaknesses and tendencies (which are *INVALUABLE* in NBA 2K12). That way, we could look it up on ESPN to see who's long to the plate if we don't know any better.

(These games also need to add in a stat for a catcher's release. That's a HUGE difference. The biggest gun in the world is useless if it takes forever to fire off a round)
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: OS Tip of the Day: Know the Pitcher If You Want to Steal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
  1. His delivery: If he's slow or deliberate to plate, it will give you more time to get a better jump. Look to activate the runner as soon as he's in his motion home.
(what I'm about to post is based on regular play, not RttS)

Actually, according to the last time I tried this, it was completely untrue. There was this pitcher (can't remember his name) who had an utterly slow stretch delivery, and I could have stolen with Bengie frickin' Molina if I wanted to. Anyway, I was going with Freddie Freeman, but he wouldn't budge at the beginning of the pitcher's leg kick. Instead, he waited until some time before the pitcher released the ball that would equate to the same time for other pitchers. This was probably programmed in so it wouldn't be unfair for pitchers with slow stretch deliveries. Hoohawkey!

If there's a way to manually send runners off in regular play, I'm all for hearing about it. Otherwise, a slow delivery doesn't help you anymore than a quick delivery.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
(what I'm about to post is based on regular play, not RttS)

Actually, according to the last time I tried this, it was completely untrue. There was this pitcher (can't remember his name) who had an utterly slow stretch delivery, and I could have stolen with Bengie frickin' Molina if I wanted to. Anyway, I was going with Freddie Freeman, but he wouldn't budge at the beginning of the pitcher's leg kick. Instead, he waited until some time before the pitcher released the ball that would equate to the same time for other pitchers. This was probably programmed in so it wouldn't be unfair for pitchers with slow stretch deliveries. Hoohawkey!

If there's a way to manually send runners off in regular play, I'm all for hearing about it. Otherwise, a slow delivery doesn't help you anymore than a quick delivery.

I think *in general* steals are definitely easier with pitchers with deliberate deliveries. That's is even when you preload the steal. Sometimes they fail, but the success rate is definitely much higher with slower deliveries.

If you want to manually start a stealer, you can do so by doing early steal. I don't remember how to do this, but it's in the manual, both online and offline...
Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Staff Writer

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I think *in general* steals are definitely easier with pitchers with deliberate deliveries. That's is even when you preload the steal. Sometimes they fail, but the success rate is definitely much higher with slower deliveries.

If you want to manually start a stealer, you can do so by doing early steal. I don't remember how to do this, but it's in the manual, both online and offline...
I THINK you can do it by holding the steal button, then releasing it when you want the runner to move. At least, that's what I do and it appears to work.

Though I could be wrong....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRoark
I THINK you can do it by holding the steal button, then releasing it when you want the runner to move. At least, that's what I do and it appears to work.

Though I could be wrong....
If this is true, I'm going to do this more often, specifically with these kinds of guys. Thanks! I thought this was only for RttS for some reason.

But on that same token, pre-pitch baserunning still feels broken as a whole. The fact that I see the shortstop making a move on me at second base a long time before the pitcher makes the throw and I can't do anything to retreat my runner towards the bag is beyond me.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Rookie

Dubs42's Arena

OVR: 3
I feel as if Dice-K would be the easiest to steal off of...takes at least 4 seconds before the ball leaves his hand so you'll be on 2nd base by the time the catcher gets the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »