Home

Sound Off: How Big is the New SEC/Big XII Bowl Game?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: How Big is the New SEC/Big XII Bowl Game? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sound Off: How Big is the New SEC/Big XII Bowl Game?

The SEC and Big 12 announced that their conference champions would be tied together in a bowl game if both conferences champions didn't make the National Semifinals starting in 2014 -- a similar agreement to what the Pac 12 and Big Ten have in place for the Rose Bowl.

Interim Big XII Commisioner Chuck Neinas just announced that if the champ(s) are unavailable the next best teams would play in the Bowl.

So now it's your turn: just how big of a deal is this agreement especially with the rumored realignment of ACC football powers jumping to the Big XII hanging over this offseason summer?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Sound Off: How Big is the New SEC/Big XII Bowl Game?

I don't see it as a huge agreement. It's just another BCS Bowl game, and many years either one (or both) of the conference champions will not be in this game.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
I don't see it as a huge agreement. It's just another BCS Bowl game, and many years either one (or both) of the conference champions will not be in this game.
You have to look beyond the agreement itself. This is clearly an alliance between two conferences that are opposed to the conference champion preference model for the playoffs. Slive now has an ally against Delany's proposed system. It also helps the B12 going forward defend against its perception of instability, and it further marginalizes the ACC. That could be another factor in any potential realignment.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
Even though the two champs will probably not be in this game, it's cool to have a mach up of the top two conferences in college football.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramminyou
You have to look beyond the agreement itself. This is clearly an alliance between two conferences that are opposed to the conference champion preference model for the playoffs. Slive now has an ally against Delany's proposed system. It also helps the B12 going forward defend against its perception of instability, and it further marginalizes the ACC. That could be another factor in any potential realignment.
I think that may be looking into it too much. Also I wasn't aware that the Big 12 was against the conference champion model; I thought they might be for it since it was one of their schools that got snubbed recently.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
I think that may be looking into it too much. Also I wasn't aware that the Big 12 was against the conference champion model; I thought they might be for it since it was one of their schools that got snubbed recently.
If I'm looking into it too much, then just about every writer in the country is looking into it too much, since this is the reaction everyone is having:

Dennis Dodd‏@dennisdoddcbs

This Big 12/SEC announcement absolutely consolidates power, money in top four leagues. Sugar now mirrors Rose in tradition, money, power,

Matt Hayes‏@Matt_HayesSN

Anyone who thinks this won't lead to more expansion is nuts. It's on the horizon -- and it's unstoppable.

Stewart Mandel‏@slmandel

There may be no more official AQ/non-AQs, but there is now an unofficial line in the sand between SEC/Big 12, Big Ten/Pac-12 & everyone else

I also seriously doubt the SEC would align with the Big 12 like this if they opposed Slive in his quest to keep the playoffs to the 1-4 schools only.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
I think its good to see more big 12 vs sec games at the end of the season. It seems like this will be the number 2 teams from each conference most years depending on the playoff system.

Also just a thought, it could be a possible first round game of the final four with the other being big 10 vs pac 12 at rose bowl.

Where do you think this game will be played? Superdome and Cowboys Stadium come to mind.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorFan
I think its good to see more big 12 vs sec games at the end of the season. It seems like this will be the number 2 teams from each conference most years depending on the playoff system.

Also just a thought, it could be a possible first round game of the final four with the other being big 10 vs pac 12 at rose bowl.

Where do you think this game will be played? Superdome and Cowboys Stadium come to mind.
I think this is what a lot of people are thinking, which is why things look bad for the ACC and Big East (well, even worse for them). They are even further on the outside looking in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »