Home

Sound Off: Is Roger Goodell Going Too Far?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Is Roger Goodell Going Too Far? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

OVR: 8
For the most part, I agree with a lot of the changes. While the game is a contact sport and it should be played with a ferocity and a desire to always win and hit hard, the ultimate goal of the game is to win. The goal for some players seems to be injure as many players as I can (James Harrison).

So I do agree with the bounty rulings, I agree with the no launch tackles, I agree with the no defenseless hitting. I don't agree with the thousands of rules protecting quarterbacks, I don't agree with changing the kickoff.

Oh, I do also agree with the pads and I also agree with eliminating the pro bowl game as it is the most horrendous thing to watch in sports. Bring back the skills competitions or something.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
Pads are needed due to the changes in hitting. If I can't aim high full speed in going to go low. If there is a guy like Calvin Johnson coming on a post and I have to worry about killing his head I'm going right for the legs. Won't help everything, but pads are needed for the new game. Plus like DCCowboys22 said, the Nike pads are light anyWay.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
Rookie

AiDub's Arena

OVR: 7
I'm down for improvements in equipment that protect the players themselves but to change or remove major aspects of how the game is played is absolutely ridiculous. What happened when NASCAR faced the criticism of safety for their drivers? They made a better car to protect them, not dumb down the tracks the cars race on. Goodell needs to cool it with changing the game we already love!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0
I think ole ROG'!!!!!! better look more into it, cause if they take kick off away, I will be ONE less TV rating they will have, He should just going ahead and make it FLAG Football and get it over with, He can even let them play like they did at the Pro-Bowl and won't have to worry bout safety.........I for sure would stop watching, They are grown men let them pick to play or Not..............Whats wrong with the world today, People like Roger have TO MUCH CONTROL'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Sound Off: Is Roger Goodell Going Too Far?

Pretty happy with Goodell, and I'm looking forward to an 18 game season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

My roommate and I had this conversation 2-3 weeks ago about the direction the league is going i.e. protecting defenseless players, stepping up concussion analysis/procedures, protecting QBs, etc.

Honestly, I'm all for it. I know "purists" (using that term loosely) think the game is changing too radically, and I get that. But as much as I love football, I don't want people getting signficantly hurt or being vegetables during their post-career.

I like that their is decreased opportunity for QBs to get hurt. Do they essentially play flag football with QBs? No, but that's a popular exaggeration. Ask Matt Schaub and Michael Vick is it flag football.

I could go on a long diatribe about this topic. But in short, I like how the league has transended itself and adjusted to make the game a bit safer. I only hope that the rule changes don't go much further than what they have.

The only stupid thing Goodell continues to push is the 18 game season. FOH with that...
Old 05-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
It's funny when you listen to players, specifically former players. They go on and on how badass they were and how tough the game use to be. They take pride in it and they brag about it endlessly, saying the players today are too protected.
Then they turn around and try to sue the league for "creating" and unsafe environment.
Goodell is just the front man, the face of it all. He stands in front of the camera's and say's what the owners as a group want him to.
Personally I hope kickoffs stay. Maybe switch to the CFL rule, eliminate the fair catch but create the 5 yard zone where the coverage team can not enter it until the returner has the ball. Keeps guys from running full tilt for 30+ yards straight into the returner, unless they time it perfectly but it still gives the returner the chance to secure the ball and look up field.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

As much as I don't like Goodell. He comes off the me like a used car salesman. Sly smlie, able to nimbly dance around questions. His punishments don't seem to be equitable from player to player, bad act to bad act. I can't say he is going to far.

I mean most of the rule changes that I hate, (ie, don't you even think about looking at a QB the wrong way.) are coming from the competition committee. Not from him.

So, no I don't think he is going to far yet, but there is something about that guy that rubs me the wrong way.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »