Home

Grand Slam Tennis 2 - What Went Wrong?

This is a discussion on Grand Slam Tennis 2 - What Went Wrong? within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Grand Slam Tennis 2 - What Went Wrong?

For many people, EA Sports and sports video gaming are pretty much synonymous. But as its competitors continue to wither away, it’s worth noting that EA isn’t infallible. NBA Elite was the studio’s highest-profile recent failure, of course. But even the EA Sports games that actually make it into stores don’t always dominate the market. Let’s take a look at a recent EA release that, at this point, hasn’t done so well: Grand Slam Tennis 2.

Read More - Grand Slam Tennis 2 - What Went Wrong?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
it was unfinished with very little substance...glad to see it was a flop for EA

it's like the guy who walks on the court with all the new high-tech, expensive equipment but does not know how to hit the ball
Old 05-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
This game had so much promise, with ESPN presentation and the Wimbledon licensing it definitely could have found a place in the market. Unfortunately the demo showed that the game had plenty of flaws that weren't capable of being fixed (namely guys like Nadal and Murray who are known for having 2 handed backhands hitting 1HBH regularly) which took the realism out of it for most tennis fans I knew who were looking forward to it. That and the lack of errors and overall wonky gameplay mechanics made it hard to get into it.

There was potential there, like the Total Racquet Control which was a good idea and actually not implemented that badly, but all in all it fell well short of the bar that TS4 had set.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
MVP

bigdoc85's Arena

OVR: 22
Top Spin 4 beat Grand Slam Tennis 2 to market and without substantial improvements and distinctions from that game, this was doomed from release. EA should have learned from the NBA Elite / 2k 11 situation and put this on the shelf for a couple of years until everyone was anxiously awaiting its release.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 33
GST2 has some questionable AI & a dumb career mode but at least it caters for Offline Multiplayer with in built tournaments. I really can't understand why 2K completely overlook this part of their Top Spin series. It's for this reason alone I go with EA's game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
GST2 has some questionable AI & a dumb career mode but at least it caters for Offline Multiplayer with in built tournaments. I really can't understand why 2K completely overlook this part of their Top Spin series. It's for this reason alone I go with EA's game.
Gameplay doesn't matter at all? Just one missing feature? Honest question.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Banned

rman's Arena

OVR: 4
Wow! Top Spin out sold MLB The Show..crazy.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5
I'm a big tennis fan and avid player so I really wanted to like this game, but that also prevented me from liking this game. The problem is that GST2 was designed as an arcade game to appeal to the masses so it was destined to be shallow.

I prefer Top Spin 4 as it plays more simulation, and there's a TON of hidden depth once you play at a higher level online. TS4 is the first tennis game where I feel my tennis knowledge was put to use. The game still has a couple small issues, but it really is the best tennis gameplay I've seen on consoles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »