Home

NBA Live 13 Hands-On Preview Focuses on the Presentation and Passing Game (Kotaku)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 13 Hands-On Preview Focuses on the Presentation and Passing Game (Kotaku) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 30
If that was a screenshot of 13 at the top of the page, I see that old unnecessary squat deally the players loved to do for no reason in previous iterations. The ball was sitting on the floor. No reason to be getting in a low defensive squat stance, and if they still do that old squat/strategy move for no reason when trying to control a player, I'm gunna be not so happy.

Whatever the case, I can't get too excited from this read because there are still no actual and confirmed visuals on this game (that screen shot DOES say Live 13 on it, tho), and although it will be at E3 next week, there's no guarantee it will be shown to the public. The writer just said that 'others' will see it but it may be behind doors since the game is still pre alpha, after all this time.

Sorry to go in like that on this game like that but I've been lookin fwd to it and I'm a lil ticked that we have nothing really to see regarding this game nor any kind of factual breakdown/blog about the gameplay and features from EA, which they seem to love to do wit all their other sports games and previous bball games. NBA preseason is about 4mos away. Isn't this game usually slated for the preseason? C'Mon, EA. I'm really concerned about the lack of info. I believe the game is very weak, at this point.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NBA Live 13 Hands-On Preview Focuses on the Presentation and Passing Game (Kotaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
To choose the type of pass we wanted, it still seems that the game decides the best pass to make.
I don't think there's ever been a basketball game where you could select from different pass types. With that being said, I'm thankful there isn't.

Passing is one of the more involuntary actions in basketball, you do it by instinct, if there's a player in the way you'll lob, if a player cuts you bounce pass. I would never want separate controls for passing, I want the A.I. to know what kind of pass should be made, thereby deferring the timing to the player, and that's how it is in real life, we all make the same passes in specific situations, the only variable for success is our timing. There's only a handful of pass combinations that exist, and for any scenario - post pass, wing pass, cutter pass etc... you're going to make the same pass every time.

If NBA Live 13 can make the RIGHT pass in every scenario, that's a revolution. Especially considering the most annoying aspect of the competition's game is that the passing intelligence is absurdly awful.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NBA Live 13 Hands-On Preview Focuses on the Presentation and Passing Game (Kotaku

In previous videogames...how often do you see a player feed a post man with a bounce pass?

If they implement something simple as that...it's a huge plus just for the overall flow of the game. Because the majority of time...the bounce pass is the correct pass over a chest pass.

That is nice.

From what we've seemed to read before...alley-oops will work the same way...which I'm against. I'd rather have alleys user-controlled.

But I kind of get it. That brings the "WOW" moments into fold which Live has always kind of had. Imagine running a fast break and you pass it which turns into a contextual alley-oop pass.

It kind of gives a whole lot of options on mo-capping alley-oops. One-handed oops, under-handed oops, look away oops, etc.

Remember Mike Wang was heavy on contextual moves in Live 10. From the Size-Ups to just getting anywhere the lane and going up for a contextual dunk/layup.

It appears they're going that route with '13.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversion
I don't think there's ever been a basketball game where you could select from different pass types. With that being said, I'm thankful there isn't.

Passing is one of the more involuntary actions in basketball, you do it by instinct, if there's a player in the way you'll lob, if a player cuts you bounce pass. I would never want separate controls for passing, I want the A.I. to know what kind of pass should be made, thereby deferring the timing to the player, and that's how it is in real life, we all make the same passes in specific situations, the only variable for success is our timing. There's only a handful of pass combinations that exist, and for any scenario - post pass, wing pass, cutter pass etc... you're going to make the same pass every time.

If NBA Live 13 can make the RIGHT pass in every scenario, that's a revolution. Especially considering the most annoying aspect of the competition's game is that the passing intelligence is absurdly awful.
People having been asking for that for years from 2k, Live could have been a step ahead if they did it.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Looking forward to getting more information.

I like that passes will be smarter. In the other game, I hate when I pass I get the wrong type of passes. Like getting a bounce pass in very congested paint or a handoff when there is someone is between you.

I always like Live. Competition is great and it forces games to not slip up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
Rookie

jeffmanqb3's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversion
Doesn't College Hoops allow you to choose the type of pass?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #23
Rookie

MVP23's Arena

OVR: 9

College Hoops 2k8 lets you choose what type of pass you want to make. So there is no good excuse why it's not in basketball games.

Miami Heat

Miami Marlins
Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #24
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Just FYI. I should "see" NBA Live 13 on Monday. Not sure how playable it will be, but I will definitely see what's up. Just follow me on Twitter, I'll be giving updates throughout E3.
Follow me on Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »