Home

NHL 13 Hands-On Impressions with True Performance Skating

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Hands-On Impressions with True Performance Skating within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 13 Hands-On Impressions with True Performance Skating

Check out some of the True Performance Skating NHL 13 hands-on impressions from some of the EA Sports Game Changers. If you continue reading the thread, some of the guys are answering questions as well, including Showtime on Reddit.

Quote:
On the endurance end, players that hustle all game long are going to find themselves slowing down by the 10 minute mark of each period. It takes a lot out of your player, and makes you much less effective on the ice. In versus play, which is where I started testing, I regularly had all four lines at 50% fatigue - or worse - due to my heinous abuse of L3. I probably don't have to tell you, but tiring out my whole team led to more than a few goals against. As good as it feels to go fast, you're going to have to let up, or risk letting your team down.

On the whole, my impression was that the players concerned about playing defense against top end speed can breathe at least a partial sigh of relief. They aren't going to be able to run all over on you all game, and catching a streaking forward with his head down is as satisfying and rewarding as you'd think it should be. Forcing a player outside is easier, as long as you're in position, and the poke check and stick lift are much more effective against a player who is hustling with the puck. However, that does mean you need to be where you're supposed to be. The days of poke-spamming a guy from behind are going to be far behind you.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL 13 Hands-On Impressions with True Performance Skating

Quote:
From my first strides, I felt like my player was really working against the ice, really having to dig to get going and gather some momentum.
I love hearing stuff like this! Sounds like the skating will be A LOT more realistic.

edit: And this!

Quote:
With NHL 13, the days of mashing L3 to hustle are gone. Instead, you press it down once and hold it, and your player quickly puts his head down and accelerates to top speed. As a result, races for a loose puck are much more exciting, and potentially much more costly to lose.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks

Last edited by gopher_guy; 06-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
EA Game Changer

LuGer33's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I love hearing stuff like this! Sounds like the skating will be A LOT more realistic.

edit: And this!
Yeah so is push puck. LT makes you pivot now, which I must have done about two dozen times during our playtest whenever I hit the open ice.

Takes a little getting used to for sure.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

This SHOULD reinforce good hockey. Because if energy is expendable and limited, it means you need to use it wisely. Which basically means a premium on positioning, fundamental hockey, and good passing. It also means a defensive team can wear down an opponent.

As I've told kids I've coached: if you're in position and making good decisions, you just won't feel tired.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Love reading about how different Bert felt from Dats.
My biggest question is, how will Bert look and play when the CPU is controlling him?
That's my #1 question and my main concern.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Love reading about how different Bert felt from Dats.
My biggest question is, how will Bert look and play when the CPU is controlling him?
That's my #1 question and my main concern.
I would hope the same. Else I'm done. If they can't make the AI smarter rather than just cheap on superstar (which incidentally I think I'm like 12-15-2 in my latest season on SS, isn't going so well, lot of 1 goal games on the wrong end) then I'm done.

There are times in 12, where even when you do play solid positional hockey, due to the skating engine, and the AI's ability not to bobble pucks even when getting a shoulder full of Chara or Boychuk, it can be frustrating.

The new skating engine ought to eliminate that I would hope.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 15

what kills me in super star is how fast they learn after 3-5 games or 1-2 years in all-star am sure but i can easy rate as super star cause they like to collapse my defense and its easy goal to the top shelf

so am doing test in my second be a gm season mode
with pass interceptions : 1/1 & ai learning : 4 and cpu strategy adjustment: 3& player acceleration: 1/1 to see if that slow's the cpu and allows me to score
Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 24

^^^^^^ why do you keep posting your slider tests in threads that have nothing to do with that, Blackeyes!!??

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »