Home

NHL 13 Screenshots - Dynamic Goalies

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Screenshots - Dynamic Goalies within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 13 Screenshots - Dynamic Goalies

Check out some of the new NHL 13 screenshots, featuring dynamic goalies.

NHL 13 arrives in stores on September 11th.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 13 Screenshots - Dynamic Goalies

Except from the two pads stack poke check and one-knee paddle down in the middle of the net, I don't see anything different from an NHL 12 pic. Maybe I'm just missing something here.

I'll get excited when seeing more of how the goalies play when a HUMAN controls them and most important, how the Dynamic Goalies play out in certain situations.

Until then, unless I'm missing something, I'm not head over heals about those.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
Except from the two pads stack poke check and one-knee paddle down in the middle of the net, I don't see anything different from an NHL 12 pic. Maybe I'm just missing something here.

I'll get excited when seeing more of how the goalies play when a HUMAN controls them and most important, how the Dynamic Goalies play out in certain situations.

Until then, unless I'm missing something, I'm not head over heals about those.
Same thing i'm seeing in these pics! even in early videos i don't see much of an improvement in goalie animations.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther84
Same thing i'm seeing in these pics! even in early videos i don't see much of an improvement in goalie animations.
To be faire to EA, the videos they showed on how Luongo was playing the 2 on 1 was solid but...

It's not my fault, it's EA's fault if I'm taking everything with a "caution flag" before saying it's out of the park. They deserve that skepticism with the way they worked for the last 3 years. Even more after saying that NHL 13 was the year they put the more work in the AI programming.

I go back to the Letang-Zetterberg video of last summer when they entertained the fact that the players we're now playing according to where the puck should be instead of reacting to the play. It was really impressive in the video, but the translation in the game itself was non-existent.

The goalies could make a back flip and end-up sitting on the cross bar in a pic, it won't matter if the AI is as poor it was in NHL 12. Show me a pic where a goalie plays the puck and don't take a penalty for playing it outside the trapezoid. You'll get me interested! ;-)
Old 06-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
I saw ALL SORTS of goalie animations when I played at E3. Have no worries about that. I'm talkin' limbs moving in all sorts of directions, making it look absolutely realistic. Don't think anyone will have to worry there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
I saw ALL SORTS of goalie animations when I played at E3. Have no worries about that. I'm talkin' limbs moving in all sorts of directions, making it look absolutely realistic. Don't think anyone will have to worry there.
Steve quick question, do the goalies shuffle more realistically? All the goalies do is glide across the ice instead of having realistic shuffle movements. They have no momentum at all. It just looks so unnatural and it's been that way since 07. They just move at warp speed all of the time. I'm assuming the answer to my question is no but I may as well ask someone who's played at least the E3 version.

I really hope that they can fix this for next year if it isn't somewhat fixed this year. All I want is for the goalie to actually look like a real goalie would move.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 06-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Steve quick question, do the goalies shuffle more realistically? All the goalies do is glide across the ice instead of having realistic shuffle movements. They have no momentum at all. It just looks so unnatural and it's been that way since 07. They just move at warp speed all of the time. I'm assuming the answer to my question is no but I may as well ask someone who's played at least the E3 version.

I really hope that they can fix this for next year if it isn't somewhat fixed this year. All I want is for the goalie to actually look like a real goalie would move.
Just a tad nit picky imo.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Just a tad nit picky imo.
How is that nit picky? I understand this game isn't 2k8 but why could they make goalies move realistically both standing up and in the butterfly position? Hell that game is almost 4 years old. The goalies in this game move absolutely horrifically. All they do is float across the crease at warp speed. It's exactly like everyone else complained about how players just floated across the ice when they skated (which seems like it got fixed). Why can't I do that about the goalies? They need momentum and character.

I like that they are focusing on goalies moving all their limbs, but making them move at a realistic rate is not nit picking when movement and reaction is the biggest part to goaltending. They cover up the goalies not making glitch goal saves by making goalies move at warp speed across the crease. That's not how it should be.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 06-30-2012 at 03:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »