Home

NHL 13 Screenshots - Dynamic Goalies

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Screenshots - Dynamic Goalies within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 13 Screenshots - Dynamic Goalies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie Vachon
I`m sorry,..but that question didn`t make any sense at all.

The human goalie controls for NHL13 are going to be worse than NHL12,....they will have removed the manual saves and replaced it with "leaning",....something that should be part of movement with the LS

Everything else looks to be the same,going by answers that have been provided by people who were hands on with the goalie controls.
Let me try and rephrase it then, wouldn't the ability to control individual limbs, along with dynamic save attempts be the same thing?

I don't play human goalie, so obviously I'm not all that informed on the issue you guys that do might face. I'm trying to understand what may have changed for the worse for you guys.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #34
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Let me try and rephrase it then, wouldn't the ability to control individual limbs, along with dynamic save attempts be the same thing?

I don't play human goalie, so obviously I'm not all that informed on the issue you guys that do might face. I'm trying to understand what may have changed for the worse for you guys.
I stilll don`t know what you`re asking.

From the looks of it,...there is not going to be any individual limb control for human goalies in NHL13.
There won`t even be the RS limb extension save movements,limited as they were, that we have had in NHL12,NHL11,NHL10,etc.

We get to lean,......wow!

That is something I already do using the Left Stick.
It`s called reading the play and anticipating and reacting.

I know it doesn`t look like I`m cheating,....because I`m good,you`re not supposed to be able to tell that I`ve read you.

I don`t like the sound of losing the ability to make those limited ,manual limb extension save attempt movements that we currently have with NHL12 and all previous versions of the game.....and have that ability replaced with leaning left or leaning right?

If they added this leaning by having a modifier button like the LB and then the RS,...then it would possibly be something that could be used in relation to screen shots and trying to get your goalie to be able to see where the puck is.

They did the same thing to human goalies in NHL12,.....they took away our ability to play using the paddle down techniques that real goalies use.

NHL11`s human goalie control layout were the best and closest to perfect since they included playing as a goalie into the game.

What we got in NHL12 was a step backwards,all to show off the VH technique.

NHL13 looks like it`s a further step backwards,just to show off this lean/cheating that the AI goalies are going to do.......and replace a functional ability with a useless one,for the human controlled goalies.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #35
Banned

Quote:
I stilll don`t know what you`re asking.

From the looks of it,...there is not going to be any individual limb control for human goalies in NHL13.
There won`t even be the RS limb extension save movements,limited as they were, that we have had in NHL12,NHL11,NHL10,etc.

We get to lean,......wow!

That is something I already do using the Left Stick.
It`s called reading the play and anticipating and reacting.

I know it doesn`t look like I`m cheating,....because I`m good,you`re not supposed to be able to tell that I`ve read you.

I don`t like the sound of losing the ability to make those limited ,manual limb extension save attempt movements that we currently have with NHL12 and all previous versions of the game.....and have that ability replaced with leaning left or leaning right?

If they added this leaning by having a modifier button like the LB and then the RS,...then it would possibly be something that could be used in relation to screen shots and trying to get your goalie to be able to see where the puck is.

They did the same thing to human goalies in NHL12,.....they took away our ability to play using the paddle down techniques that real goalies use.

NHL11`s human goalie control layout were the best and closest to perfect since they included playing as a goalie into the game.

What we got in NHL12 was a step backwards,all to show off the VH technique.

NHL13 looks like it`s a further step backwards,just to show off this lean/cheating that the AI goalies are going to do.......and replace a functional ability with a useless one,for the human controlled goalies.
Wouldn't having dynamic saves be the same thing as manuals. For hyping a feature like dynamic limb control for goalies, why would they remove that from human goalies? It makes no sense.

Keep in mind they were playing a very early alpha build at the CE and things are obviously subject to change. I wouldn't panic just yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Wouldn't having dynamic saves be the same thing as manuals. For hyping a feature like dynamic limb control for goalies, why would they remove that from human goalies? It makes no sense.

Keep in mind they were playing a very early alpha build at the CE and things are obviously subject to change. I wouldn't panic just yet.
As I recall, during the community day feed, Rammer specifically stated that they hadn't finalized how they would apply the dynamic limb control to goalies. They weren't sure if it would be automated or if they would map it to the user's control in some way. Pretty sure it was during the Q&A session at the end of the livestream.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #37
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

They said the goalies were 95% done.

Human goalies are getting jobbed!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
They said the goalies were 95% done.

Human goalies are getting jobbed!
True, but I think you're taking that out of context. I believe Rammer was referring to the fact that they were trying to get the goalies to the point that they could stop 100% of shots and then scale them back. I think that is where the 95% comment came from. He later said they were still toying with what level of control human goalies would have.

I'm not saying you will or won't see what you want, but I believe that was the context of those statements.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #39
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
How many of their customers actually play as a goalie consistently?

I'd guess it's around 5-10%...

There are just more pressing issues with the game.
I'm not even talking about playing as the goalie. I never have and most likely never will because it doesn't do a very good job of depicting a goalie and how they play. I'm specifically just talking about the goalies in the actual gameplay. Have you ever watched the goalies move in this game? It's an utter joke. Just gliding and warping across the crease. They stop on a dime and just move every part of their body with 0 momentum or effort. Looks and plays terribly. That's the major problem with the goalies. Sure there are other issues but if they are fixing the limbs or whatever on the goalies now, it seems like they should be able to stay focused on fixing other parts of the goalies as well.

Now for Rogie he plays as the goalie if I'm not mistaken so obviously this affects him as well.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I'm not even talking about playing as the goalie. I never have and most likely never will because it doesn't do a very good job of depicting a goalie and how they play. I'm specifically just talking about the goalies in the actual gameplay. Have you ever watched the goalies move in this game? It's an utter joke. Just gliding and warping across the crease. They stop on a dime and just move every part of their body with 0 momentum or effort. Looks and plays terribly. That's the major problem with the goalies. Sure there are other issues but if they are fixing the limbs or whatever on the goalies now, it seems like they should be able to stay focused on fixing other parts of the goalies as well.

Now for Rogie he plays as the goalie if I'm not mistaken so obviously this affects him as well.
Again I'll ask, does the new skating engine affect tenders as well? If so it'll make a huge difference. Or should in theory.

Hockey is without a doubt the toughest game to emulate in video game form, add in all the limiting factors of consoles with 512 megs of ram, 10 month yearly dev cycles, resources etc etc.

Goaltenders in EA's game are obviously not 100% realistic, and honestly, they prolly never will be. They are however functional and believable imo for the most part. And appear to be getting alot of love this year along with AI really in general that was long overdue.

We're never going to get perfection, it's just not going to happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »