Home

An Idiots Guide to Soccer and Soccer Gaming

This is a discussion on An Idiots Guide to Soccer and Soccer Gaming within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
"Who cares what you call it. And "soccer" is just as old as football, but ignorant people want to make an issue out of it."

no, ignorants call it soccer because they refuse to accept that this is THE football

"Check your history...soccer comes from AsSOCCiation Football. And has been used for long time and by many countries."

like who? US ... Canada ... ??? Anyway you're right, it doesn't care how you call it. You just shouldn't call it soccer in europe, your day may very well end in a hospital (that's actually no joke, have seen it happen several times )

@Riderfan: a stopper isn't a center back. A perfect example of a stopper is Matthias Sammer and the way he played on the 1996 team of Germany. Some kind of tweener of a Center Back and a Defensive Midfielder. Schweinsteiger also played kinda like a stopper in the CL finale.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
The Print Guy

65South's Arena

OVR: 23
Thank you! For both the primer and the replies. This came right on time for me as I always follow the World Cup and recently watched just about all of the UEFA Championship and recently have started watching some soccer matches via ESPN3. I could follow the game but I just felt like I didn't understand the strategy and couldn't totally grasp what was going on.

I bought FIFA because all of the great ratings and all of the good reviews (and because it was on sale) but I never really played because I felt like I didn't really know what I was doing, or better still, what I should be doing. But this info along with the graphic will go a long way in getting me started in real and virtual soccer!

Last edited by 65South; 07-10-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
MVP

Ermolli's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: An Idiots Guide to Soccer and Soccer Gaming

Good article but I have one question, why is the article in the FIFA subforum instead of the Soccer subforum? It would attract more people there don't you think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Staff Writer

kelvinmak's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: An Idiots Guide to Soccer and Soccer Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermolli
Good article but I have one question, why is the article in the FIFA subforum instead of the Soccer subforum? It would attract more people there don't you think?
Hmm, I don't know why it landed in the FIFA section. I shall get the powers that be to look into it.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Rookie

Abar22's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65South
Thank you! For both the primer and the replies. This came right on time for me as I always follow the World Cup and recently watched just about all of the UEFA Championship and recently have started watching some soccer matches via ESPN3. I could follow the game but I just felt like I didn't understand the strategy and couldn't totally grasp what was going on.

I bought FIFA because all of the great ratings and all of the good reviews (and because it was on sale) but I never really played because I felt like I didn't really know what I was doing, or better still, what I should be doing. But this info along with the graphic will go a long way in getting me started in real and virtual soccer!
If you want to understand strategy and tactics better I would highly recommend zonalmarking.net. Very good tactical breakdowns to be had there.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
"Who cares what you call it. And "soccer" is just as old as football, but ignorant people want to make an issue out of it."

no, ignorants call it soccer because they refuse to accept that this is THE football

"Check your history...soccer comes from AsSOCCiation Football. And has been used for long time and by many countries."

like who? US ... Canada ... ??? Anyway you're right, it doesn't care how you call it. You just shouldn't call it soccer in europe, your day may very well end in a hospital (that's actually no joke, have seen it happen several times )

@Riderfan: a stopper isn't a center back. A perfect example of a stopper is Matthias Sammer and the way he played on the 1996 team of Germany. Some kind of tweener of a Center Back and a Defensive Midfielder. Schweinsteiger also played kinda like a stopper in the CL finale.
Actually, the term soccer originated in England (yes, that England, the one in Europe) in the late 19th Century, as a British slang term for Association Football. This was to distinguish it from other sports that at the time were also called football, such as early forms of rugby and such. You see, the term football didn't originate due to the fact that the ball is kicked with the foot, but rather it referred to any sport that was played on foot, as opposed to on horseback. There's a little free history lesson for you.

And yes, it is true that the term "soccer" was never used much outside of England and the U.S., and has since fallen out of fashion in England, but in all fairness, that is where it came from in the first place.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
Rookie

lufc4ever's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderfan
As a soccer player in Canada...

1) "Second Striker" - Where you've got him, he's a Center Forward. A 2nd Striker should be beside the first striker. (It's pretty obvious really, you've got Center Back and Center Midfield right...)
2) A "Stopper" is just another name for a Center Back. (I checked Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(association_football) and it agrees with me)

But overall, good job. That should help those who don't know the game.
I would say there isn't much difference between a center forward and a striker positionally. I would consider a center forward more like a big, old fashioned target man like Emile Heskey. A striker would be someone like Michael Owen, a small, often quick forward who's job is to stick the ball in the back of the net. I would consider Mario Gomez a center forward, even though he scores a lot.

A second striker would be someone like Dennis Bergkamp when he played with Henry at Arsenal. He dropped back into midfield, linked and created chances for the finisher Henry. Generally now, second strikers are being used as lone strikers, like Robin van Persie now.

However, the original article is still good for people new to the beautiful game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #16
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_Shevitz
Actually, the term soccer originated in England (yes, that England, the one in Europe) in the late 19th Century, as a British slang term for Association Football. This was to distinguish it from other sports that at the time were also called football, such as early forms of rugby and such. You see, the term football didn't originate due to the fact that the ball is kicked with the foot, but rather it referred to any sport that was played on foot, as opposed to on horseback. There's a little free history lesson for you.

And yes, it is true that the term "soccer" was never used much outside of England and the U.S., and has since fallen out of fashion in England, but in all fairness, that is where it came from in the first place.
I know, no need to tell me

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »