Home

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD Available Now For 360, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD Available Now For 360, Post Your Impressions Here within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Rookie

dmslapped's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD Available Now For 360, Post Your Impressions Here

im liking it but something just feels a little bit off, wish it had more than 7 maps too. i was hoping for Bullring and Philadelphia to be in the game
Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1
My only issue I had with this game was no revert, but that's because that was introduced in THPS3. Other than that I am having a blast with this game
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
Just some dude...

BobbyColtrane's Arena

OVR: 15
I can't say it enough - this game would be perfect for the Vita! I'm not buying it for my consoles but I would buy the portable version in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD Available Now For 360, Post Your Impressions Here

I've been having a lot of fun with this game. I apologize if this sounds redundant (because I mentioned this in the review thread as well) but I just came off of a few weeks playing Tony Hawk 1 and 2 on the N64 recently so one could say I was already in a classic Tony Hawk groove. I feel as though the HD version fits right in.

It kind of reminds me of the time I bought Perfect Dark (the N64 version) for my XBox. I could have easily just kept hooking up and playing my original Perfect Dark, but it was nice to make it so readily accessible on my 360. Similarly, Tony Hawk HD plays very similarly for me and all the levels have the same setup, so it's a relatively seamless transition. The biggest differences I experienced between N64 Tony Hawk and 360 Tony Hawk are twofold: 1) Trying to reverse direction on the spot is tough using the 360 D-Pad and 2) The sweet spot for landing tricks is slightly different than the old titles. My brothers and I were able to adjust to both differences without much issue.

Contrary to other reports, I have not experienced any choppiness or lag at any point. I do have skaters sometimes fall through the ground on bails, but it's actually more comical than anything else; it doesn't really effect my gameplay. Further, aside from the aforementioned struggle to completely turn around my skater using the D-Pad, I haven't had any real issues with controls. My most frequent use of the Tony Hawk series came on the N64 and the transition from that controller to the XBox version was seamless. All the buttons are where your mind will want to think they are (diamond shaped face buttons where Y is grind, B is grab, X flip, just like normal) and for the most part the shoulder buttons are only used to alter your skater from a switch stance to normal (or vice versa).

Essentially, if you guys were already planning on picking this game up, and you already know there's going to be seven levels (with THPS 3 DLC levels to be added later), and you already know half the soundtrack is old songs and half new (I was expecting all new, so half and half was a treat), and you know some old skaters will return mixed with new guys and gals, then I'd recommend proceeding with your purchase. Truly, it feels like the original Tony Hawk games but with cleaner, more detailed graphics, a touch of new and old characters, unlockables, secret characters, some new goals, a pretty significant amount of replay value for those who wish to complete games to the fullest, and new songs (or the always available ability to stream your own music, which adds a new dimension to Tony Hawk for me).

I feel I got a lot more out of this $15 purchase than say, the TMNT: Turtles in Time download, which was fun, but was short in replay value. I don't imagine a ton of you having an issue with glitches in this game and whatnot. I approached it as a fun, modernized, re-do of old THPS games that I could spend some of my left over XBox Live points on and I was not disappointed.

Last edited by VDusen04; 07-30-2012 at 10:43 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »