Home

Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

This is a discussion on Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

The penalties are in. In what was unprecedented and swift action against Penn State University (which Penn State fully agreed with), the NCAA did the following:

• Four Year Postseason Ban
  • Reduced Scholarships to 65 total over the next four years -- making Penn State a functional FCS team.
  • $60 million fine, or one year gross revenue from the football program.
  • Any player can freely transfer to another school without penalty.
  • All wins vacated from 1998 to 2011.
So what do you think? Did the NCAA go far enough in their penalties against Penn State?

Sound off!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Pro

ThaShark28_316's Arena

OVR: 10
They gave them a working death penalty.

"Hey, I mean...you can play. You know, give everyone the illusion that you're playing football"
Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

The only things they didn't do were ban them from actually playing or banning them from TV. I think it's a fair punishment, but I don't like the way the NCAA went about it. They say this will not open a can of worms because it's a special case, but I don't quite trust them.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm actually okay with how this came out. I was rattling a saber before the news came, but what actually happened seems fairly harsh, but not too much so. Some more stuff will possibly come from the Big Ten.

The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is the vacating of wins. Everything still happened on the field and those players were eligible, but that's a relatively minor point.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

I think the AA went too far with this because I think they have no business in this situation. I still have yet to see what NCAA bylaw that Penn State violated.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Rookie

THE YAMA's Arena

OVR: 10
I'm pretty happy with the final decision.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3
The NCAA should have had no right to punish. I am by no means justifying what happened or saying it was okay. But his was a legal matter that helped Penn St gain no advantage on the field. I said before it was announced that they would lose 40 scholarships. All wins from 98-11 and 5 year ban of post season. I was right except the 5 years it was only 4. But it was not needed and the Death Penalty would have been less damaging. All you doing is hurting the player on the team now. Yes they can transfer and play this year. But what about the players who grew up watch Penn St FB. Wanted nothing but to play for Penn St. And now no matter how well they play. They will never win anything more than games. No bowl game. No championship nothing. It was to far and the NCAA had to right to act in this.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

I have to disagree with this point from the other thread:
Quote:
My point is, they weren't considered a top power anymore like Michigan, Wisconsin, or Ohio State. They were more in line with my Hawkeyes... a team that is good, and has a very good season or two every few years after reloading.
Penn State won 11 games four out of five years from 2005-2009. They also had four 10+ win seasons in the Big Ten in the '90s. They were also competing to go to the Big Ten Championship last year before the Sandusky mess broke out. This is a very relevant program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I think the AA went too far with this because I think they have no business in this situation. I still have yet to see what NCAA bylaw that Penn State violated.
The ethics language in the bylaws is general enough that the NCAA could use that. Also, these punishments were made in cooperation with the Penn State administration.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »