Home

Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

This is a discussion on Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJetsfan
I don't like it for 1 reason and 1 reason only, but for anything that actually effects Penn State, mind you.

I don't like this because it will take away money from Inn Keepers, restaurant owners, gift shops, etc, etc. from around Happy Valley. You are punishing them for something that they had nothing to do with.
That stadium will still have 100,000 people in it every Saturday. Every restaurant, gift shop, hotel, motel. Will still get their money.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman94
They get 75 this year and 65 the next four years.
they lose 10 each year from 25 to 15.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #19
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

I don't get why the NCAA don't have jurisdiction here. They placed santions on USC because Reggie Bush family worked out a deal with an agent. That had nothing to do with USC. However the NCAA essentially ruled that the university had the obligation to find out and act on it. In this case they knew something illegal were taking place and covered it up so the team could remain competive. If that doesn't fall under the NCAA jurisdiction I don't know what is?

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
MVP

RebelHog's Arena

OVR: 8
LOL no it wont

Sent from my Motorola bagphone
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I like that they fined them the $60M. I like that they stripped the school & Paterno of the 111 wins. I like the reduction in scholarships. It puts the hurt on the schools failed leaders and puts a hurt on Paterno's legacy.

I do not like the bowl ban for the next 4 seasons. That ban will only punish the current players who are simply innocent bystanders in this.
But isn't that life? They can go play elsewhere with no wait which is nice. They can stay and have their college paid for and play if they like...

To me, they're lucky to be innocent bystanders for such a heinous act .. It's life. Ask ex employees of crooked CEO's if they would have like the opportunity to keep pay for the duration of their contract or transfer to another company... Leaders are supposed to lead and be exemplary in their job and keep ethics and morals high at all times -- Not cover up something this bad just because they were scared it would tarnish the program for a year or two. They were so worried they'd lose out for a year or two that no one did anything, and ultimately caused the program to LOSE a lot more by inaction of a heinous event.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Fair enough. I think this hurts their program more now than the death penalty.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJetsfan
I don't like it for 1 reason and 1 reason only, but for anything that actually effects Penn State, mind you.

I don't like this because it will take away money from Inn Keepers, restaurant owners, gift shops, etc, etc. from around Happy Valley. You are punishing them for something that they had nothing to do with.
How does this take money from them? The football team will still play, just on a lower scale (which was going to be the case regardless after Paterno leaving). You couldn't just not punish them. Unfortunately that's the collateral damage,but cancelling the season would've made things worse for those folks and I think the NCAA took that into consideration when deciding.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman94
They get 75 this year and 65 the next four years.

If that's the case, I don't think they went far enough... For 10+ years of having this swept under the rug..

I think they should be reduced in scholarships to the number of Charges convicted or there abouts. I'd probably be in favor of 50 max scholarship players between now and Though the '15 season.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »