Home

Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

This is a discussion on Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Sound off: Did the NCAA Go Far Enough with Penn State?

Stuff on possible Big Ten punishment:
Quote:
Revenue is one area where the Big Ten can punish Penn State. The league could reduce Penn State's revenue share for a determined period. The Big Ten announced last month it would distribute a record $284 million to its members at the end of the fiscal year. Penn State has been receiving a full share of revenue, which translates to $24.6 million for this fiscal year.
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...nalties-on-psu

Says there's a meeting at 11 a.m. on what to do. We may hear more after that.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #26
MVP

Dirty Turtles's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm a Penn State fan and live 30 miles away from State college. I think the sanctions are fine, but I can't say the same for the vast majority of people currently posting on my Facebook wall. This isn't the death of a program, this is a chance at a full rebirth.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
Banned

NYJetsfan's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmizzou852
That stadium will still have 100,000 people in it every Saturday. Every restaurant, gift shop, hotel, motel. Will still get their money.
They might still get 100,00 in the stadium (and I'm not even convinced that will happen every game for years to come), but the product of Penn State won't hold the same value. If the product isn't as good, the ticket prices come down. If the ticket prices come down, the subsequent prices and demand for everything else goes down.

It'll be interesting to see.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2
Emmert wants to be Goddell. NCAA had no business in this, nor the Big Ten. This looks like Emmert went vigilante.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #29
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanemblem
Emmert wants to be Goddell. NCAA had no business in this, nor the Big Ten. This looks like Emmert went vigilante.
The sanctions were announced in cooperation with the Penn State administration. Due to that, there's really no problem with what the NCAA did.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #30
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanner
But isn't that life? They can go play elsewhere with no wait which is nice. They can stay and have their college paid for and play if they like...

To me, they're lucky to be innocent bystanders for such a heinous act .. It's life. Ask ex employees of crooked CEO's if they would have like the opportunity to keep pay for the duration of their contract or transfer to another company... Leaders are supposed to lead and be exemplary in their job and keep ethics and morals high at all times -- Not cover up something this bad just because they were scared it would tarnish the program for a year or two. They were so worried they'd lose out for a year or two that no one did anything, and ultimately caused the program to LOSE a lot more by inaction of a heinous event.
I agree that's life. I just don't see a valid reason for that part of the punishment. Allow them to play bowl games, but have all proceeds the school makes from those games go to a fund dedicated to the victims.

The NCAA had an opportunity to punish the leaders who failed and them alone.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #31
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Ridiculous. They gained no competitive edge and I still don't know what NCAA sanction they violated.

NCAA had no business punishing Penn State. It was a legal matter, not a football matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJetsfan
I don't like it for 1 reason and 1 reason only, but for anything that actually effects Penn State, mind you.

I don't like this because it will take away money from Inn Keepers, restaurant owners, gift shops, etc, etc. from around Happy Valley. You are punishing them for something that they had nothing to do with.
So what? If PSU got punished for repeated recruiting violations and were punished as harshly under the provision for repeat offenders, would you still say the punishment was too severe?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »