Home

NHL 13 Overhauls Its Trade Interface

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Overhauls Its Trade Interface within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NHL 13 Overhauls Its Trade Interface

Besides the ratings tweaks this jumped out at me:

Quote:
You can also search based on the star level of six different skill groupings: skating, shooting, puck skills, physicality, hockey sense, and defense. If you’re looking for an aggressive blue liner who isn’t afraid to put people through the glass, searching for a player with four-star physicality and defending skills is much easier than drilling into the ratings of every single defender in the game to find an ideal candidate.
Might be able to find a guy for your system that doesn't have all the skills of a top player but can be effective while being cheaper, and like they said easier to find.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
If this game hasn't excited you into buying it, I don't think you'll ever buy another NHL game :P
If everything comes together like I'm hoping it does, I'll be happy. Really the only thing I'm still not sold on totally is how well the cpu trade logic is going to be and goaltenders, but if the skating and AI is as improved as it appears to be, and things like the sliders actually all working (pass reception ease) I may be able to settle.

Honestly though in regards to CPU line/trade logic etc, this is another factor that is long overdue to be working properly. No excuses for not getting it right this year.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
He offered Butch and a 6th round pick and the CPU gave him feedback that the deal was close, so he upped it to a 5th then 4th then 3rd then a 2nd and the CPU feedback was the same every time. His point was that the CPU should have said not even close with the first offer.
That's the kind of crap trading that has plagued this game. Try a 6th, then a 5th, then a 4th. Here's a few things to consider,

1. He never offered a top six forward, maybe PMB is "close to" a top 6 forward hence the offer was close. He never improved on the talent going back with subsequent offers.

2. Why would you increase the value of a trade with a team that does not want picks, by offering a better pick? It was clear in that example that Montreal wanted to get a player to make them better now. That's why they were willing to give up their first round pick in the first place.

3. If PMB plus a 6th is "close" why would PMB plus a 2nd be significantly better? Especially for a team that doesn't want picks?

I'm not calling it a flawless system, since I have no hands on time with it, but the given example proves nothing. He was trying to rip off the AI and he got rejected.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #20
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
That's the kind of crap trading that has plagued this game. Try a 6th, then a 5th, then a 4th. Here's a few things to consider,

1. He never offered a top six forward, maybe PMB is "close to" a top 6 forward hence the offer was close. He never improved on the talent going back with subsequent offers.

2. Why would you increase the value of a trade with a team that does not want picks, by offering a better pick? It was clear in that example that Montreal wanted to get a player to make them better now. That's why they were willing to give up their first round pick in the first place.

3. If PMB plus a 6th is "close" why would PMB plus a 2nd be significantly better? Especially for a team that doesn't want picks?

I'm not calling it a flawless system, since I have no hands on time with it, but the given example proves nothing. He was trying to rip off the AI and he got rejected.
I see what your saying now and your right. He should've offered a better forward and see how that affected the feedback.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #21
Rookie

BLA244's Arena

OVR: 1

I think it will add to the intensity of GM online and offline
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #22
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

I love the idea about them changing the ratings to show a significant difference between the best and the mediocre, but the biggest problem is EVERY PLAYER CAN MAKE THE SAME MOVES! Sorry for the caps but I'm pretty adamant on this. Until they change the skill stick to separate each player and the different stick handling moves they can do, the player differential won't reach it's full potential. Now the difference in speed rating of players should make a huge difference with the game however. This is going to make setting each line to aggressive, standard, and conservative (if those options are still in the game) huge. If you have a 3rd or 4th line playing an aggressive style against a top line on another team you should get dominated (which didn't happen in 12). Hell I could cycle the puck all day in 12 with a 3rd or 4th line. I'm praying that this will be all work out for 13 like they are making it sound.

As for trades this rating differential should be great because 3rd and 4th liners aren't quite as valued if your going to try to get a star player. You won't be able to trade Brodziak and Powe and a 2nd round pick for Rick Nash because Brodziak and Powe should be rated in the 70's overall wise and seen as more defensive players that aren't top six forwards. I'm also loving the idea of each team changing their team strategy over the course of the year to go into a buyer/seller/rebuilder type approach. Hopefully that will all play out well. The Show has this feature but I've never been able to fully see it work the way it should (obviously this game is not The Show though).
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 07-25-2012, 02:46 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz

Actually, NHL 13 lists PMB's role as a "top six forward," so I wasn't trying to rip off the AI. I was following the guidelines set forth by the game.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #24
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Tito13
This is awesome news indeed! Long time since I was hoping for this to happen, and I'm not the only one. I think the better player differentiation will really improve the game in a lot of ways, not only for trades but also actual gameplay.
As long as the player differentiation results in more team differentiation, I'm all for it. In years past the best team has only been 7-8 points higher than the worst team.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »