Home

No Shorter Season Option in NHL 13 GM Connected Mode, But You Can Sim Games

This is a discussion on No Shorter Season Option in NHL 13 GM Connected Mode, But You Can Sim Games within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: No Shorter Season in NHL 13 GM Connected Mode, You Can Sim Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
Maybe a 3 vs cpu one day if 2 guys can't make it, or a 2 vs, maybe a 1 vs. I think with my 4 buddies and myself, as long as the host doesn't have to be present to play, I think we'd get through all 80+ game.

If we can play in combinations without the "host" (or whoever started the GM Connected SEason) then we'll be good. IF, "host" has to be present for all the games, ........damn you long season! (Shakes fist because I don't know how to add a little yellow fist shakin' guy)
This is exactly what I'm looking for as well. We're 4 guys that keep playing at each others houses, saving seasons on memory sticks and stuff. But If we can now do our shizzle online it seems that this is the year that we might actully finish a season.

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
Although it would be nice to set season length, too much control over aspects like this could work against EA in the end, and considering that GM Connected is the lead story feature this year, wouldn't it be better to introduce one version, played in a standardized way across the board?
I'm sure there are valid reasons. But it's similar to not allowing the import of NCAA rookies in madden. (Not that I did that.) People want to play a certain way. If you had a full 30 user GM CCM you are talking about 2,460 games to be played. There has to be a better way. Sure you could sim games, but imagine if X team loses (star player) during a simmed game. Guys get mad, guys leave the CCM. I'm sure they had their reasons, but to say. No short season option, but hey you can sim games, to me comes off as wildly arrogant and indifferent to customer needs.

But I'm not a big NHL gamer so I can't claim to know how the masses feel.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: No Shorter Season Option in NHL 13 GM Connected Mode, But You Can Sim Games

I can only assume this applies to standard BeAGM and on that basis, I'm disappointed again.

The two possible reasons for EA's refusal to implement what must be the most commonly asked for feature of this mode are:

Some condition the NHL impose as part of the licensing arrangement.

OR

The 82 games / playoff structure has been so firmly embedded into their trade and sim logic that they can't unlock this number without a rewrite of this code segment.

I hate simming games and I like to play ten minute periods but it seems the devs are hell bent on making the prospect of a cup-winning dynasty unachievable in one calendar year for the man with a full-time job! The year I did actually get through more than one season, I was disappointed with the Stanley Cup presentation anyway, so repeat wins will no doubt be unrecognised other than the banner presentation.

Off on a slight tangent here but...

My ultimate dream for a revamped Be A GM frontend is actually the representation of an inside of a GM's office, with "hot" areas where all your gameplay elements can be controlled. A calendar, the Berry on your desk, the NHL yearbook for player stats etc. Crucially, the walls of this office are blank but when you win the cup, the money shot team photo that is much beloved in hockey is saved to disk if you have space. A screenshot that lots of games do - no technical challenge.

A generic representation of the team photo then appears on the wall, the more Cups you win, the more photos appear. You click on it and the actual image is streamed from your hard disk. Click again and then the players on your roster and all the stats from that season are listed.

Wouldn't it be great to see that office's blank walls fill up with Cup triumphs? Triumphs that you can look back on? You'd have such great continuity by easily picking out players who were franchise stalwarts or guys you only had for that one year before trading away.

All of this is relatively straightforward and I feel it would add so much. Other games do it as there's nothing better to play on than the human compulsion to fill blank space. Part of the reason the 82 game schedule is an issue is because the BeAGM environment is so very, very dry and monotonous and the ultimate goal, the winning of the Cup, is such an anti-climax.

If 82 games are an immutable number then please EA, please, make the reward worth it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2
Good ideas, making your achievements mean something. I just wish that when you look at a players stats it tells you what team he was with that year. Madden does it, so why can't NHL?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: No Shorter Season Option in NHL 13 GM Connected Mode, But You Can Sim Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I'm sure there are valid reasons. But it's similar to not allowing the import of NCAA rookies in madden. (Not that I did that.) People want to play a certain way.
I agree but unlike the case of Madden's removed features, the NHL game has never allowed shorter seasons since moving to 360. In fact, the last version I recall having this option was NHL 2003. So it's not like they're taking anything away form us at this time because it doesn't fit in with their new mode like Madden.

I do agree they should add it though as people have been asking for it for many years.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustSaint
Good ideas, making your achievements mean something. I just wish that when you look at a players stats it tells you what team he was with that year. Madden does it, so why can't NHL?
Amen, Brother! I like to watch the players grow and develop and the NHL series is the worst when it comes to following the players' careers. You can't see all of their stats, you can't see their accomplishments, and, as you said, you can't even see what teams they have played for. It just kills so much of the immersion for me.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: No Shorter Season in NHL 13 GM Connected Mode, You Can Sim Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Couldn't resist

Boy you weren't kidding.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
There's time I feel like an idiot. I mean, to me, the ability to save a game offline and the custom season lenght are priorities, and I guess I'm not the only one.

On the other side, EA's working on things likes goalies fight (when fighting engine is a joke to begin with) and breaking glasses. They invest ressources and time in features that seems important for them.

Won't say my priorities are worth more than their priorities, but for god sake, how in the hell putting ressources so that you can have custom season and offline saving games ability are less important than gimmicks like those I mentionned just above.

Like I said, I'll continue to start with the premisse that I'm an idiot, so that's why my priorities are wrong! ;-)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »