Home

No Shorter Season Option in NHL 13 GM Connected Mode, But You Can Sim Games

This is a discussion on No Shorter Season Option in NHL 13 GM Connected Mode, But You Can Sim Games within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: No Shorter Season Option in NHL 13 GM Connected Mode, But You Can Sim Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I'm sure there are valid reasons. But it's similar to not allowing the import of NCAA rookies in madden. (Not that I did that.) People want to play a certain way. If you had a full 30 user GM CCM you are talking about 2,460 games to be played. There has to be a better way. Sure you could sim games, but imagine if X team loses (star player) during a simmed game. Guys get mad, guys leave the CCM. I'm sure they had their reasons, but to say. No short season option, but hey you can sim games, to me comes off as wildly arrogant and indifferent to customer needs.

But I'm not a big NHL gamer so I can't claim to know how the masses feel.
You summed it up perfectly. People don't like to lose or face adversity. If something bad happens to their team, chances are they'll just leave.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
EA Game Changer

LuGer33's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
There's time I feel like an idiot. I mean, to me, the ability to save a game offline and the custom season lenght are priorities, and I guess I'm not the only one.

On the other side, EA's working on things likes goalies fight (when fighting engine is a joke to begin with) and breaking glasses. They invest ressources and time in features that seems important for them.

Won't say my priorities are worth more than their priorities, but for god sake, how in the hell putting ressources so that you can have custom season and offline saving games ability are less important than gimmicks like those I mentionned just above.

Like I said, I'll continue to start with the premisse that I'm an idiot, so that's why my priorities are wrong! ;-)
Well, I don't really agree with you (neither of these things are important to me) but to answer your question, they have to create new features they can market to sell the game. Are they going to have marketing / PR put together a trailer about shorter season lengths? Could "Now you can save a game offline!" be a back of the box feature that might catch someone's attention in Gamestop?

I agree these would be nice little additions, but as you said, EA has to allocate their relatively limited resources (NHL team is 1/3rd the size of FIFA) to what seems important to them...
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Oh really, we can sim games?!?!?! Well, as Chris Farley once said as Matt Foley, "Well ladee-FREAKING-da!"
Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
These are the choices that blow my mind. EA continues to take control away from the end user rather than have us tell them how we want to play our games, they tell us how they want us to play our game.
Very well said. It is my opinion that decisions like this is why their stock price continues to tank. EA's game in 09-10 was pretty good, but the last 2-3 years they have ruined the game. They ruined the EASHL with pay to win DLC and boosts and the Be a GM mode is still far behind 2k's NHL 2k8, which to refresh everyone's memory allows multiple user controlled teams in franchise mode and allows custom season length.

2k8 will be 5 years old this September (an eternity in video game time), it's absolutely pathetic that EA refuses to bring the franchise mode up to 2k8 standards, while adding other pay to win modes like Ultimate Team. I bought every EA NHL game from 1994-2011 and finally got fed up with the stagnation and didn't buy NHL 12, I won't be buying NHL 13 either.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLandPESFan
Very well said. It is my opinion that decisions like this is why their stock price continues to tank. EA's game in 09-10 was pretty good, but the last 2-3 years they have ruined the game. They ruined the EASHL with pay to win DLC and boosts and the Be a GM mode is still far behind 2k's NHL 2k8, which to refresh everyone's memory allows multiple user controlled teams in franchise mode and allows custom season length.

2k8 will be 5 years old this September (an eternity in video game time), it's absolutely pathetic that EA refuses to bring the franchise mode up to 2k8 standards, while adding other pay to win modes like Ultimate Team. I bought every EA NHL game from 1994-2011 and finally got fed up with the stagnation and didn't buy NHL 12, I won't be buying NHL 13 either.
Ok I'll bite, does 2k8 have the real AHL? Real juniors? Does 2k8 have online team play and an actual club hockey league with prizes? I realize people don't like to look at things realistically but, what do people expect them to do with a budget and team size less than half of say a Madden or Fifa?

What are these 2k8 standards you're stating? If it's just "I can play any game on the schedule or set amount of games per season" you can keep it. I have never had the desire to play other teams games in a gm mode, just my own.

NHL13 is stagnant? Have you missed the new skating engine and AI? How about multiplayer GM mode with up to 700 people per franchise setup? Ability to coach, or just GM? Among other improvements.

OH NOES SKY IS FALLING I Can't change how many games a season is!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
Rookie

hollywood_cpm's Arena

OVR: 0

I love threads like this...

Most of the time people bitch and moan about, "this" isn't realistic. Why don't they put "this" in, it's part of real life. I want it to be as authentic as possible to the real NHL.

Then they cry foul over not being able to play a shortened - unrealistic mind you - schedule!

Listen if you just want to play 25 games with some buddies then GM Connect probably isn't for you. And who cares if you have to sim a few games. Not a world ender. PLUS I highly doubt most people will be playing in a 30GM league, so how hard is it to pound out a few games against the computer in one night. 82 games will probably 2-3 months tops for most people. Easy enough to go 5 years deep into the dynasty elements.

Last edited by hollywood_cpm; 07-27-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
There's time I feel like an idiot. I mean, to me, the ability to save a game offline and the custom season lenght are priorities, and I guess I'm not the only one.

On the other side, EA's working on things likes goalies fight (when fighting engine is a joke to begin with) and breaking glasses. They invest ressources and time in features that seems important for them.

Won't say my priorities are worth more than their priorities, but for god sake, how in the hell putting ressources so that you can have custom season and offline saving games ability are less important than gimmicks like those I mentionned just above.

Like I said, I'll continue to start with the premisse that I'm an idiot, so that's why my priorities are wrong! ;-)
Then count me in, I'm an idiot too.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #24
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24
How can you consider your gameplay style "Sim", if you do not "Sim? I think simming games tests your team building and managing skills. Full seasons are the true test. They are long for a reason. The well put together teams with talent and good coaching rise to the top and the teams that go on lucky streaks eventually fall to the way side.

For example my favorite team, (different sports I know) the Cleveland Indians.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »