Home

Sound off: How Impressive is Phelps record breaking medal count?

This is a discussion on Sound off: How Impressive is Phelps record breaking medal count? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

OVR: 20
Ummmmm.... Russell?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Rookie

Bull_Dozer's Arena

OVR: 5
Good for him. But... it's still just swimming, sport I put on the level of table tennis or shot putting.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
I've always played down his accomplishments due to the fact there are so many variations of swimming events.

There are no other Olympic sports with the same opportunity for that sport's athletes.

Great for him over the course of his career. He's perhaps the greatest swimmer, but I don't think you can remove the term "swimmer" from any label you give him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #12
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
Michael Phelps broke a record that was near impossible to do. We may never see another person come close to accomplishing what he has just done. People do not give swimmers enough credit for their sport and Phelps has been the best in the world for almost 4 Olympics straight. Regardless of his out of the pool activities, he has earned the right to be called the greatest Olympian EVER.

@Bull_Dozer....as an athlete myself, I would love to see you swim the 200M butterfly and we shall see if you call it "just swimming".
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
he did it during the steroid era, so yeah ... very "impressive" XD. tbh he may be the best swimmer of all time but I don't trust any athlete that wins a gold medal these days, let alone 15.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Sound off: How Impressive is Phelps record breaking medal count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
Michael Phelps broke a record that was near impossible to do. We may never see another person come close to accomplishing what he has just done. People do not give swimmers enough credit for their sport and Phelps has been the best in the world for almost 4 Olympics straight. Regardless of his out of the pool activities, he has earned the right to be called the greatest Olympian EVER.

@Bull_Dozer....as an athlete myself, I would love to see you swim the 200M butterfly and we shall see if you call it "just swimming".
Isn't this his 3rd Olympics? He dominated two Olympics and has been very good but not dominant in this year's.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
Isn't this his 3rd Olympics? He dominated two Olympics and has been very good but not dominant in this year's.
I believe he took part in the 2000 Olympics as well. And you are right he hasn't been close to being dominant this Olympics. He still has 3 events left though.

I would argue there are about 5 people who could be greatest Olympian ever, but Phelps belongs in the conversation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0
we'll talk about that at the end of the olympics...

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »