Home

NHL 13 Demo Video - True Performance Skating Tutorial

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Demo Video - True Performance Skating Tutorial within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: NHL 13 Demo Video - True Performance Skating Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityBCRT
The new push puck animation from the Demo Tutorial Video looks *really* bad. Like NBA Elite 11 levels of bad. The puck magically pulls back with the stick to make it look magnetized (which goes against "the puck is looser" comments we've seen in other videos). I don't buy the idea that they can't fix it. Even if the puck isn't really loose they can still make the animation in a way such that the puck doesn't slide backwards.
I have to agree with this.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I guess you don't plan on playing online. This will be exploited, mark my words. Other than that, the game looks fantastic.
If the puck and players are easier to knock loose on stick or body contact, how will it be exploited? Again why don't we wait to play the game before talking about how this feature or that feature is going to be an exploit?

For years people complained about the turn on a dime at full speed skating engine and how unrealistic it is, we now have a momentum based skating engine, complete with pivots, skates digging into the ice during high speed turns making the chance of blowing an edge more probable, and the such and hey let's complain about the backskating not being 100% perfect without playing it first.

It never ends, people no matter how much something is improved will find something to gripe about.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
I guess you don't plan on playing online. This will be exploited, mark my words. Other than that, the game looks fantastic.
I don't know, I guess we'll see.

But if what we're hearing is correct (that it will be easier to knock the puck away while in back skate), I think it has the potential to be the opposite. I have visions of people trying to back skate like crazy against me in online play, but I'll just check/poke check them and easily gain possession back.

Then maybe a smart@ss message after the game is over and I win: "Maybe you should buy a figure skating game?"

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I don't know, I guess we'll see.

But if what we're hearing is correct (that it will be easier to knock the puck away while in back skate), I think it has the potential to be the opposite. I have visions of people trying to back skate like crazy against me in online play, but I'll just check/poke check them and easily gain possession back.

Then maybe a smart@ss message after the game is over and I win: "Maybe you should buy a figure skating game?"
Yeah, I hope you're right.

Either way, I'm as pumped as anyone about this game and I know it seems that I do get hung-up on a few issues here and there. But I think it is important to voice our criticisms about the game as well as our praises. There's no doubt the game will be good but I can't hide the fact that I don't like the backwards skating that I've seen and and don't like the fact that the puck magnetically comes back to the stick while a player is skating with it.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Here's what people will do online...

Skate out of their own zone backwards with the puck. When a defender comes in close to them, spin left or right and blow by them. Just a prediction.

Streaming on Twitch
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #22
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Here's what people will do online...

Skate out of their own zone backwards with the puck. When a defender comes in close to them, spin left or right and blow by them. Just a prediction.
I think players who are skilled on D will be able to handle this. Personally I would just sit back and hold my gap, wait for a forward on my team to do a little back checking. Hopefully something like this is all it takes.

I'm extremely optimistic though and I'm hoping this game raises the bar for NHL games.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #23
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm really disappointed the puck is magnetized to the stick of the player. To me that's why we don't have any turnovers or players losing the puck by making too many moves. I just wish there was some way for EA to at least make it look better than what it does. I mean the puck is literally moving back and forth depending upon where the stick is. I understand that you can't really have the puck 100% loose because there would be too many turnovers with no flow, but I just wish it looked as if the puck wasn't magnetized to the stick. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it as I do with some of the other things that bother me about the game.

At any rate the skating will be interesting to try. I'm not really sure what to expect quite yet. I think it definitely will be a huge improvement over the skating we have had since 07. The explosiveness in the strides looks really sweet. I will say that I'm not digging the fact they left the "hustle" button (L3) in. To me it's an absolute cheese move. I think the skating should just be left at how they described in the video without the L3 portion. It would put more emphasis on the speed and acceleration ratings of the player rather than the push of a button to go even faster. Hell player ratings is why EA said they took out the speed burst in the first place. Ultimately though the L3 is used online which I no longer play so I shouldn't really have to worry about it unless the CPU starts doing it.

Overall though it will be really interesting to play the demo. For me the game can only get better so I'm pretty excited to try it out with the knowing that I can't really dislike the game much more than I already do with NHL 12.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #24
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Can't wait until next Tuesday!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »