Home

NHL 13 Ratings - Eastern Conference Player and Team Ratings

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Ratings - Eastern Conference Player and Team Ratings within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 13 Ratings - Eastern Conference Player and Team Ratings

Puck Daddy has posted the NHL 13 team and player ratings for the Eastern Conference.

In case you missed them, here are the top 5 forwards, defensemen and goalies in the game.

Quote:
Today, we're unveiling player and team ratings for the Eastern Conference. Western Conference teams will be revealed on Friday. All rosters reflect deals since July 1 and major transactions only. Ratings after the jump.

Here's EA's explanation for the new team overalls:

"We changed the team overalls for continuity. If you look at our 'potential' rating system and how we break down the each of the six skill ratings, it is all star based and we wanted to be consistent."

Your thoughts?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL 13 Ratings - Eastern Conference Player and Team Ratings

Hmmm. Kinda worried about the team ratings to be honest. I hope that this new rating system (stars, or whatever out of 5) is just to simplify things and that the teams actually do perform differently. Just looking at those numbers, I don't really see how any teams are thaaaat much different from one another. There's a differential of only 1 full point there in each of the categories (low being 3.5, high being 4.5). I'd love to see a deeper explanation of this, if one exists.

Also, as a Leafs fan let me be the first to say that they are way, way overrated based on those numbers.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

I noticed that there's not a single team rated below 3.5 stars in any category. Also, no team is rated a 5 in any category.

It seems like we say this every year, but it would be nice to see more separation between the teams.

One of the reasons why NHL 94 is still a fan-favorite is because the player ratings in that game ranged from 29 - 100 overall, which is a 71 point range.

So far, it looks like NHL 13's players go from 64 - 94 overall, which is only a 30 point range.

Last edited by jyoung; 08-16-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

now my worries is that player differentiation (ratings) is there but how will this translate to the game PLUS if there are really difference between ratings of players...this should also reflect on TEAM ratings right???

Let's just talk about Boston and Buffalo...their goalie ratings:

Buffalo 4.5 rating: Miller 92 and Enroth 77
Boston 4.5 rating: Rask 83 and Khudobin 72

how can these 2 teams have the same 4.5 rating???? okay if you take average of the 2 goalies..Boston is 77.5 and Buffalo is 84.5.... and they are the same??? the only explanation is that if EA range of 4.5 is between 75-85??but again thats not even close in reality. at least make 1 rating point difference for every 10 points (average).

is ea trying not to offend teams of nhl by doing this????

Last edited by canucksss; 08-16-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I noticed that there's not a single team rated below 3.5 stars in any category. Also, no team is rated a 5 in any category.

It seems like we say this every year, but it would be nice to see more separation between the teams.

One of the reasons why NHL 94 is still a fan-favorite is because the player ratings in that game ranged from 29 - 100 overall, which is a 71 point range.

So far, it looks like NHL 13's players go from 64 - 94 overall, which is only a 30 point range.
You have to take in consideration that they have lower level teams in the game (AHL, SEL, CHL, etc).

Some ratings that jumped out to me:

Adam Larsson - 84
-Yeah he's going to be good, but he's currently the best defenseman on NJ despite being a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs. Its even more ridiculous when you see Gudbranson is only a 75.

Chris Kreider - 68
-Easily the worst forward on the team. Did they watch the playoffs?

Not sure how Rinaldo (71) has a better rating than Wellwood (68).

Karlsson is an 86 while Letang is a 90. Even if you say Letang is more complete, the gap is not that big considering what Karlsson brings to the table offensively.

Malkin should not be 4 points worse than Crosby.

Matt Carle an 86!!!! To put that in perspective he'd be the second best player on the Flyers behind Giroux. He's a nice player but not a number 1 defenseman and no where near Karlsson as the rating would lead you to believe.

Mike Green is still riding his 2010 season I see.

Tobias Enstrom is tied for the 4th best defenseman on his own team!!! That's crazy.

Looks like a Leafs fan did some of the ratings.

Overall it looks like they are making an attempt to spread the ratings out somewhat. It's a start. Lets see how it plays out.

Last edited by gator3guy; 08-16-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

You guys have to remember the ratings are now based on player types and such.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
You guys have to remember the ratings are now based on player types and such.
Didn't they say they were getting away from that? They used Parros as an example of how he was an 80 last year as a good enforcer but now he is being rated for the overall package him brings to the ice which makes him a 68 or whatever he is this year.

EDIT: found the quote.
Quote:
How are the NHL 13 player ratings different from NHL 12?
EA: Last year, overall ratings reflected a player's effectiveness based on their player type (ex. Sniper, Enforcer, Grinder, etc.). NHL 13 Overall ratings are based on a player's overall skill based on their position.
Why the change?
EA: It was a fan-requested change that ensured that overall ratings were more representative of a players skill level in real life. A players who is 90+ will feel drastically different than one who is rated 65.
Examples: NHL 12 Parros was an 81 as his rating was based on his player type — enforcer, meaning that he was an above average enforcer. In NHL 13 Parros is an 69 overall based on his skill level as a forward. Chris Neil was an 82 (Grinder) last year, this year he's a 78. With this new overall ratings system, his rating didn't drop as significantly as Parros because he's still a skilled player who can check and score effectively.

Last edited by gator3guy; 08-16-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 7

Desharnais didn't get much love (Leino and Lombardi are higher rated!?) this year and this is coming from a Leafs fan!

And yeah, Entstrom being lower rated than Hainsey on his own team?? Really?

All in all, seems like a nicer range among NHLers though, which I appreciate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »