Home

NBA 2K13 Video - Shot Blocking, Passing, Rebounding, & Speed (Chris Smoove)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13 Video - Shot Blocking, Passing, Rebounding, & Speed (Chris Smoove) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #33
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: NBA 2K13 Video - Shot Blocking, Passing, Rebounding, & Speed (Chris Smoove)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I argued til blue in the face this year to have all auto stuff taken out as far as flinch reactions. I hope that made it. My argument was that If i have defensive assist turned off my guy shouldn't move unless I move him.

I also had that augustine thing happen to me once in awhile when not moving. I told them that would be a sore point with gamers don't know if they had time to take it out. With it still being in that demo build I fear it may still be in.
thanks Czar...thanks for making your voice heard. even if they didn't fix it, it's good to know you spoke up about it. these "auto movements" are really one of the worst things in the game...they are small, but they are very frustrating when they happen...they just make it feel like you aren't really in control. I didn't notice them in 2k11, but it seems like they added all of these auto-movements starting in 2k12. i honestly don't know why there are in the game, other than to create a scripted scoring opportunity for your opponent.

Last edited by blues rocker; 08-19-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #34
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
You have the defensive assist on blues rocker. Go check in option > pad configuation. If it's at 0 your player NEVER reacts to pump fake on its own.
it's good to know that you can turn it down, but my question is: why did they add these auto-movements at all? even with defensive assist turned up, there's no excuse for my player just moving on his own. defensive assist or not, "auto-movements" of any kind should be a big no-no.

Last edited by blues rocker; 08-19-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

Does anyone know which jumpshot he uses for kobe? check at 6:20
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #36
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
it's good to know that you can turn it down, but my question is: why did they add these auto-movements at all? even with defensive assist turned up, there's no excuse for my player just moving on his own. defensive assist or not, "auto-movements" should be a big no-no.
Putting defensive assist all the way up is like telling the cpu you need them to completely control your player and to constantly adjust them to keep them in the best defensive position possible. It's like the option of a braking assist in a driving game. Some people like having that crutch to lean on for help. Zero DA gives user complete control. Having it anywhere else can lead to those unpredictable movements. Movements that the cpu thinks are putting you in the best defensive position.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 08-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #37
Plata o Plomo

iLLosophy's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
even with defensive assist turned up, there's no excuse for my player just moving on his own. defensive assist or not, "auto-movements" of any kind should be a big no-no.
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you don't fully understand the concept of Defensive Assistance. It is like turning on an autopilot mode only it's scaled down and doesn't have full control. But when the guy you are guarding moves, it gives you a head start by helping you take a step in the right direction (at the right time) to stay in front of them - the downside is you end up biting on pump fakes and jab steps. It would be imbalanced if Def Assist only gave you a headstarts on committed drives & jump shots, but didn't make you bite on the jab steps and pump fakes. Plus, just like an autopilot mode in an airplane might overreact to turbulence, you should see overreactions by Def Assistance. That's when the pilot steps in and takes full control.

Me personally i'm glad they put in the "flench" movements you are referring to, it keeps Defensive Assistance from being a crux that everyone uses because they are lazy on defense. (which many people have complained about in prior 2k games). Just as long as they don't happen when Defensive Assistance is at zero. So in my opinion, they got it right in 2k12.

Sounds like for you, the only real problem is they left it on by default.

Last edited by iLLosophy; 08-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #38
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you don't fully understand the concept of Defensive Assistance. It is like turning on an autopilot mode only it's scaled down and doesn't have full control. But when the guy you are guarding moves, it gives you a head start by helping you take a step in the right direction (at the right time) to stay in front of them - the downside is you end up biting on pump fakes and jab steps. It would be imbalanced if Def Assist only gave you a headstarts on committed drives & jump shots, but didn't make you bite on the jab steps and pump fakes. Plus, just like an autopilot mode in an airplane might overreact to turbulence, you should see overreactions by Def Assistance. That's when the pilot steps in and takes full control.

Me personally i'm glad they put in the "flench" movements you are referring to, it keeps Defensive Assistance from being a crux that everyone uses because they are lazy on defense. (which many people have complained about in prior 2k games). Just as long as they don't happen when Defensive Assistance is at zero. So in my opinion, they got it right in 2k12.

Sounds like for you, the only real problem is they left it on by default.
yeah, i understand how it works...i just don't think they should have "assistance" of any kind in the game. either you're in control of your player or you're not...i don't want any of this in between stuff. i'd rather them just take it out and force people to actually control their players and earn their stops.

Last edited by blues rocker; 08-19-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #39
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
yeah, i understand how it works...i just don't think they should have "assistance" of any kind in the game. either you're in control of your player or you're not...i don't want any of this in between stuff. i'd rather them just take it out and force people to actually control their players and earn their stops.
I say the same thing about people who play off ball D almost exclusively. People should have to guard the ball handler or suffer the consequences of the cpu more easily getting beat off dribble(unless a zone is being played). That most likely won't happen though. 2k is just trying to help out those less skilled in the subtle natures of playing D but it doesn't stop you from putting the DA at zero.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #40
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
I dont know, me personally, ive never had the CPU attempt a steal or block on my behalf in 2k12...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I say the same thing about people who play off ball D almost exclusively. People should have to guard the ball handler or suffer the consequences of the cpu more easily getting beat off dribble(unless a zone is being played). That most likely won't happen though. 2k is just trying to help out those less skilled in the subtle natures of playing D but it doesn't stop you from putting the DA at zero.
I don't agree here, I love protecting the rim with my center/ rebounding...I think your teammate AI should at least be competent enough to defend on their own if you decide to play that way....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »