Home

Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I essentially just posted this in the RateSports review thread but it applies here too.

I think this was a very well done review however, I disagree with your score. I don't understand a 8.5 out of 10 overall rating unless "10" is meant to be the best Madden to date, opposed to the best NFL football video game to date.

On my 10 point scale, the latter would be the pinnacle and Madden 13 doesn't seem that close. Considering how games like The Show and NBA2k are using real time presentation, that alone makes the presentation in M13, seem archaic and drives the overall down.

If I had to give an overall score using my 1-10 scale, at this point I would say M13 is a 7 at best due to graphics driving up the average. I don't see how it could get a rating much higher considering the issues with player movement, blocking representation including OL/DL, unpolished network broadcast presentation which is not being synced well as a compliment to commentary, AI( which I think includes penalites and challenge logic), player ratings and a lack of User customization options.
Nailed it.

How this game received a 8.5 when so many of the fundamentals are off is beyond comprehension. I guess when you say its the best Madden this gen you tend to think it deserves a 8.5, but you can't look at it that way. You have to look at it as a product of the NFL, and how well does EA translate the authenticity of the sport, along with presentation, and features.

The game is not authentic where it matters most. Line interaction. Madden fails big time in this area. Its not authentic with how LB's attack the run. It is not authentic where you RB runs into his offensive lineman and collapses like he has been shot, and the list goes on and on.

The presentation is still way below standards. The computer A.I calls a horrible game in the closing minutes.

CCM which is a nice addition , but major features were sacrificed for it, so it is still greatly incomplete. They even admitted its the beginning of something special, and things had to be removed for it, which again means it is incomplete.

Listen I'm not bashing the game. I will buy it , but I'm just stating that there are way too many important elements of the game that are not done correctly in madden.

Can Madden be fun, yes it can, but this game is not a 8.5 by any stertch. It is a 7 at best.

A 7 mean its a good game. 8.5 means it's a excellent game, and Madden 13 is not a excellent game.

For Madden to be a excellent game. It has to have a realistic pocket. Realistic line interaction. Realistic WR and Db interaction. A Realistic QB passing game. I just named a few of the elements of the game, and madden is not realistic in any of these areas, so how can it be a 8.5 when a few of the very important aspects of the sport are not translated accurately in the game?

Didn't MLB the show receive a 8.5, and that game is as close as it gets to be a perfect duplication of the sport. MLB The Show gets a 8.5 then Madden in no way gets a 8.5
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
You gotta start somewhere man I don't care who comes in or where they come from, even if the guys from 2k or The Show came in, it would take a while to fix EVERYTHING. Madden 13 brought it on a foundational level. Now we have to see if 14 & 15 take it to the next level(fix player movement, o/d line interactions, improve presentation with true halftime and weekly wrapup show in CCM, improve crowd and sideline models, improve commentary to make it more player specific during play by play and color commentary. Or will they go back to the trends of EA's past? I'm betting on the former and not the latter, I'm VERY confident that this is only the beginning.
I don't disagree, I think other then bugs and stuff madden 13 was a nice release for them. If this game got most the bugs out, and hadn't removed so many features, I probably even say a 8.5 isn't far out of line(prob give it a 8 myself). The reviewer ignored any flaw that's been posted on OS. I'm talking legit ones, not just the picky uniform error stuff.

Regarding the 3 year comment, they just used that to much. Even NBA Live used that one and we saw what happened there to. It almost turns my stomach at this point. They don't need to say that, just show us.

Madden just has to keep bringing it. They can't come in next year with another half attempt. They have been on top before(Madden 01 ps2 was a milestone for football games IMO) and they got to work hard to do it again.

I also can respect your love for this game. Who knows in a few years maybe I can be right there with you. It is moving in the right direction I believe. Next year needs to be a even bigger jump then this year.

Last edited by wheelman990; 08-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #27
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
Wow. This is a nice review, but not nearly as thorough as it should be. And I cannot say that I agree with the 8.5 score. Like one reader said, if it's out of 10 as far as the best Madden then sure...but as a sports title on its own merit...absolutely not. There are too many things missing, and plenty of hiccups that keep Madden 13 from being an elite sports title.

And I agree with Wheelman990...no more talk of 3 year plans or dev cycles....#JustBringit

I truly believe that Madden 13 is worthy of a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. Nothing more. We are 8 years in...the game should be more complete at this point. We keep scoring Madden like this because there is no alternative to keep it honest.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 0
So let me ask this question. If editing players , fantasy drafts, and some AI fixes were brought back, what score would you guys say then? 9.0? Those all sound like fairly easy fixes.

Last edited by Jwest85; 08-27-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #29
Future EA Game Changer

ImaGamer_OS's Arena

Great review, well written and objective.

This wets the appetite until the game drops on Thursday here in Australia.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldman011teen
http://www.examiner.com/review/madden-13-review?cid=db_articles check this one out
That review sounds nothing like the demo I played.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwest85
So let me ask this question. If editing players , fantasy drafts, and some AI fixes were brought back, what score would you guys say then? 9.0? Those all sound like fairly easy fixes.
Madden is fundamentally broken at its core and that's the problem with this generation. It doesn't matter if u had fantasy drafts, editing players...etc. If the fundamentals arent there, it's still not a simulation game that truly represents the NFL. Yes Madden is fun, but these legacy issues still remain and tarnish the experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 16
You guys crack me up when it comes to Madden. The nit picking is insane.

Yet games like the Show and NBA2k have entire portions of the game not working. No problem.

Yet every year those games are the best ever and Madden doesn't compete. Really.

Jut on a competitive level and finding out how good you really are. I'll always give Madden one thing. Online is going to work. 2k and the show. Out the box. Not likely.

If you really got into Madden. Not just looking for the crossing route a slant or a screen pass. There is a deep game of football in there.

But hey. Keep worrying about the halftime show and the announcers.

I came to play football. Not watch a halftime show.

LOL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »