Home

NHL 13 Review (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Review (360/PS3) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 13 Review (360/PS3)

Looming lockout be damned, because there is a new hockey game to review.

I think it's safe to say that commercial and critical success have followed the NHL franchise in the last few years, as the hockey product has always brought something new to the table, whether that be a meaningful gameplay iteration or new online modes. To my mind, this year's game takes the biggest risk by skewing the gameplay in a much more “simulation” direction. The speed at which you play is drastically altered by the new skating engine, the goalies are formidable presences, and the tendency for bobbled pucks, missed nets and blocked shots is notably increased.

But does this make for a compelling game overall? I feel this direction serves to represent the sport in a much more accurate way than before, but it may leave some players feeling initially shackled by the change in pace and timing. For those that are willing to get out of their comfort zone a little bit and learn the new skating engine and all of the subtle gameplay changes, you'll find an awesome hockey simulation waiting for you.

Read More - NHL 13 Review (360/PS3)
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
I'm pretty psyched. As strictly an EASHL player the past few years, I'm finally getting into another mode, Be a GM Connected, and can't wait.

Sounds like the skating engine has really changed things!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
I played the Early release and look forward to getting my copy.

I love the GM Connected online mode. Like the madden connected career online mode it is a new way to play and I will be playing it on both games a lot.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13
Did they change the ability to view players' career stats and awards finally? Can we get to each player's entire career stats year by year?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22
I'm strictly an offline player when it comes to this series (and sports games in general, actually), and the changes made this year are incredibly refreshing to me. The new skating combined with upgraded puck physics and the absolutely incredible new broadcast cam have made this essentially feel like a new game to me. There are a few lingering issues to be sure, but to me this is precisely what this series needed: a solid kick in the ***.

It's early to judge, having only had the retail version since Friday, but my initial impression is that this is the best hockey game of this generation, easily. The only issues that really stand out to me thus far are a poor hitting engine (what the hell happened since '11?), not quite enough penalties (though I'm not seeing completely penalty free games like some are reporting), and I'd like to see a little more done with presentation in the commentary department.

Are these things important? Sure. Are they stopping me from enjoying the hell out of the game this year so far? Not a chance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NHL 13 Review (360/PS3)

Solid and fair review, imo.

My only disagreement would be with the score of 8.5. Personally, I think it should be a bit higher. I'd say maybe 8.8/8.9. The skating engine and overall physic is such a huge innovation that works imo, extremely well. And has added very nicely to an already highly thought of game. I mean...this seventh release of this game in this current gen feels like nearly a new game, gameplay wise.

Jmo of course, but no video sports game has giving me the enjoyment and excitement of the NHL series. And that's gone up nicely with NHL '13'.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 13 Review (360/PS3)

Just played my first game vs. CPU. I beat Florida 5-0 as TB. every goal was nice, except for one shot from the high slot where it was a 2 on 2 and Jovanovski tried to play the other side, bumped into his other D man and screened the goalie. A lot more rebounds this year, which makes the game a whole lot more fun.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3
I don't like how an obvious 8.5 game was hyped as a possible GOTY contender by a few editors a few weeks ago. And I don't think I'm the only one who saw that happening either.

The skating engine doesn't fix the fact that the hitting physics are horrible years after introducing the feature, the puck is still not realistic in how it plays and the post whistle animations need a lot of work.

Maybe next year EA, maybe.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »