Home

Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See?

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #113
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See?

Came across this interview today while searching around for some developer insight about M13 before it's initial release. Was looking to see what they actually followed up on in the game, and what was just a bunch of bs.. Anyways, I didn't want to start a new post before searching around to see if anyone had already posted it, and well.. here we are..

I'm wondering how people feel about Madden and what Hilleman said in this interview, now that it's been out for some time, and a few patches and updates have been released? Is the defense any better than it was in M12? I don't think I played that game at all. I have a copy of M13 but haven't had the chance to really sit down with it, so I'm not sure about all of the features that might or might not be included this year. I'll end this post with a couple of general questions I have about the defense this year..

- Can we move db's in or outside of the wr before the play starts for proper positioning?

- I read somewhere that the "defensive assignments" option that allowed us to match up players on our defense to specific offensive players was removed, and instead a "best on best" feature was added. Is this true? and if so, is there anyway that this could be added to this years title? At least as an option for the user to have if he/she wants? I don't understand how you could be trying to improve the users ability to play defense in the game, yet take away something that directly affects the users ability to GAMEPLAN, and run SCHEMES. Sometimes the best player on the field isn't the guy with the highest OVR.. Especially if a generally talented player doesn't fit into my scheme or gameplan. I need to be able to make a change in player assignments based on certain ability ratings and NOT just their OVR. What If I want my 85 OVR MLB to shadow the 95 OVR TE who's route running is 90+ all game because his AWR and COVERAGE ability is higher than say my ROLB whose OVR is 90 because His TAK is 99 but his AWR and COVERAGE ability lacks??? See the problem with that? Maybe that wasn't the best example I could've have used but the point is still there. The players with the HIGHEST OVR's don't always match up well with the player across from them just because the OVR is the same or possibly even lower... I can't count how many times I see ELITE COVERAGE db's get smoked because they're trying to cover the other teams ELITE SPEED wr just because they're the opposed best OVR match up for the game. Doesn't make sense..

Anyways, can't wait to have a chance to really sit down with M13 to see for myself, but always enjoy sharing thoughts

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply if you do..
Old 09-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #114
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See?

Here's a little tip I learned from talking to people in the gaming business. Making something fun, and making something realistic are usually on opposite ends of the same spectrum. The best you can do is get somewhere in the middle because, believe it or not, we gamers are a very fickle crowd! We scream for realism but the second it gets too hard, we cry foul!

It is a very delicate balance that must be struck between realism and entertainment.

So, when I read "focuses on making defense more fun" I can make the assumption that means slightly less sim and more arcade because that is more entertaining (read fun) for most people.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #115
Rookie

OVR: 5

I already love the D with the physics engine. I had a game against NE in the playoffs and Woodhead got hit by my DT and was on top of my RE who got pancaked. He sits up and turns around to face the endzone and is just about to put the nose of the ball over the goal line when I dive with my LE and he grab him around the waist and yanks him back.

The old engine that play is decided as soon as Woodhead got hit by my DT by a canned animation.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »