Home

With No New Baseball Game For the Xbox 360 on the Horizon, Does Anyone Actually Care?

This is a discussion on With No New Baseball Game For the Xbox 360 on the Horizon, Does Anyone Actually Care? within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: With No New Baseball Game For the Xbox 360 on the Horizon, Does Anyone Actually C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I wonder what the purpose was then?
Did they buy them out simply to remove a competitor, or did they have plans to do something with that engine?
Maybe they did use some of it's code in follow-up baseball games?
Remember back with the old Xbox Microsoft started a 1st party sports division (can't remember what they called it), it only lasted a year or so before it was canned. They made one Microsoft Baseball game for xbox that was terrible, maybe they planned on incorporating HH into that game?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: With No New Baseball Game For the Xbox 360 on the Horizon, Does Anyone Actually C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
2K could still release a game, right? All they've given up is the exclusive license. As someone that owns both a 360 and PS3, I'd like to see a baseball game released next year for the 360. 2K10-12 were steps in the right direction.
They could...absolutely.
..and my prediction is...they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
Negative. The way it used to work (and still works with the NBA and NHL) is every developer who wanted to make a game needed to purchase a license. So, for example, you might have 3 companies, each with a license, making a game. Getting an exclusive license just means that nobody else can get one. Now, no third party developer has a license to make MLB games, including 2K.
They can...they just have to pay the regular licensing fee as ANY company can at this point.
The exclusive only kept third party developers from using the license.
(for instance...it didn't lock out Sony as a first party dev....but SCEA still paid the license fee to the MLB and MLBPA)

M.K.
Knight165
Old 12-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28
Too bad the MLB can't force Show to go Multi-platform and develop for all systems.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3
With No New Baseball Game For the Xbox 360 on the Horizon, Does Anyone Actually Care?

-Meh
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
Remember back with the old Xbox Microsoft started a 1st party sports division (can't remember what they called it), it only lasted a year or so before it was canned. They made one Microsoft Baseball game for xbox that was terrible, maybe they planned on incorporating HH into that game?
Ah, you're right!
I remembrer NHL Rivals with Steve Yzerman on the front.
It wasn't a very good game, but it had some positives to it.

Then, shortly after they released that game, I watched some video game show where MS talked about how it was too much money to start up a sports department - especially with how saturated the market was.
Come to think of it, that was around 2004 and it seems that a number of franchises starting disappearing shortly afterward; Rivals, Faceoff, MVP baseball, NFL 2K, etc.
I know some went extinct because of exclusive deals, but it seems that there were at least 3 different options for every sport 5 to 10 years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Too bad the MLB can't force Show to go Multi-platform and develop for all systems.
Among other reasons, I think it would be a very difficult task to port a PS3 exclusive to work on other systems.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
I would if I were on 360. But I'm not so I don't count.

But I'm more than thrilled to have The Show on PS3.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I agree. I'd actually buy a baseball game on the 360 if The Show came to xbox.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »