Home

MLB 13 The Show - Beginner Mode Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - Beginner Mode Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Beginner Mode: A Tutorial for MLB 13 The Show’s Non-Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
That's already in the game, it's called Rookie Difficulty.

Just don't see this being necessary. Resources that could've been used elsewhere to improve the game.
This is below that. While you may not feel it is necessary, the feedback that SCEA got back from other users was the game is daunting for new comers. If SCEA just catered the game towards us it would be non-existent pretty quick.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

If someone still can't hit after dropping difficulty and pitch speed to the lowest setting then they shouldn't be playing a simulation baseball game. The only problem I can attribute to a lack of hitting skill is pitch recognition, but that becomes irrelevant when pitch speed is lowered. There's also a practice mode already, which seems more practical to me than an a separate beginner's mode.

If SCEA wanted to incorporate some kind of tutorial, how about an advanced tutorial that helps beginners become familiar with the more complicated processes of the game, like when to shift, hit and run, substitute, throw certain pitches, etc? One of the ideas floated around here was an ultimate practice mode where the user could enter any kind of baseball scenario and work on it. Coupling that with something simple like a text-based tutorial seems like it would be far more helpful IMO.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Beginner's mode...for whom? People in Yugoslavia who have no idea what baseball is? See the ball, hit the ball. What else do you need?
Too bad there are no longer any people in Yugoslavia to learn about the great sport of baseball. What a shame.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
If someone still can't hit after dropping difficulty and pitch speed to the lowest setting then they shouldn't be playing a simulation baseball game. The only problem I can attribute to a lack of hitting skill is pitch recognition, but that becomes irrelevant when pitch speed is lowered. There's also a practice mode already, which seems more practical to me than an a separate beginner's mode.

If SCEA wanted to incorporate some kind of tutorial, how about an advanced tutorial that helps beginners become familiar with the more complicated processes of the game, like when to shift, hit and run, substitute, throw certain pitches, etc? One of the ideas floated around here was an ultimate practice mode where the user could enter any kind of baseball scenario and work on it. Coupling that with something simple like a text-based tutorial seems like it would be far more helpful IMO.
An ultimate practice mode would be cool but I think most people would not use it. Casual players want to jump in and get rolling without having to go to school so to speak. Text tutorials are tough especially when you are looking at a wall of text on your tv. Also, SCEA tends to struggle with text descriptions and tutorials. They are not written for the entry level user and too many things are assumed that you already have knowledge on the topic.

Last edited by nemesis04; 12-14-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy

Or late inning pitching tutorial to avoid those recurring "comeback code" rhetorics
Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
Although not for us die hard show players I think it's good thing.
Imagine all those mlb2k players that have to get the hang of everything in this game next year!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I would first recommend it to all the people who complain that the game sucks because "hitting is too hard"
Couldnt agree more.

The most common complaint i see every March when the game hits stores is exactly that, hitting is too hard, and yes, if you are a newcomer to this game, it will be.

Learning to hit in The Show is something that takes a lot of time and patience, and its never truly mastered, so anything SCEA can do to help newbs get to grips with the series and hopefully stick with it is, in my book, a good idea.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 7
No word on that new lighting engine that was promised for 2013? Last year they postponed it due to Vita release.

Hitting is pitch recognition and patience. Takes years of experience to develop it. The Show separates those that have put in the time, from those who have not. Hand and eye coordination come in handy too, but the mental game separates the men from the boys.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »