Home

Clint Oldenburg Explains the Strength Rating For Linemen in Madden

This is a discussion on Clint Oldenburg Explains the Strength Rating For Linemen in Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Clint Oldenburg Explains the Strength Rating For Linemen in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
That never works for me. I've read it often, and have had no success. I'll get more out of slower WR with better hands and feet than the speed guys who can only run fast.

Jacoby Ford is trash for me and he's very quick and fast. Meanwhile, Marcel Reece as a TE is far more reliable with 7 less SPD.

Taiwan Jones is equally bad. Yet, Caulder, 8 points slower, is far better with only 70 AWR.

Fast WR with crap RTE and RLS don't get open fast enough. If their catch sucks, they'll drop what's thrown them (DHB literally dropped 57% of ball thrown at him before I had enough, and, yes, I tracked it).

u should give the 2 browns rookie wr's a shot josh gordon and travis benjamin

gordon has 91 speed,66 awr,catch is 84,route running 69,release 87
benjamin has 96 speed, 63 awr, catch is 77,route running 67, release 51

these 2 always make catches rather im playing online or my ccm and they always seem to get open.

now back on topic so strength is only when there engaged???? so like other say what is PB,RB, RBF,PBF??? have to do with olinemen???
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I didn't even finish reading the entire write up because it was yet another attempt at explaining how something is done in Madden, regardless of whether that's the best way to do it or not. It seems around the development of next-gen Madden there is this bubble that somehow common sense and/or the optimal way to do things are irrelevant.

I have been playing sports and other video games a looong time, ratings have always seemed to matter and make sense until next-gen Madden. All of a sudden when EA Tiburon is the only one that can make licensed football games, ratings becomes some convoluted marketing propaganda for the masses. The current state of NFL gaming under EA TIburon is a shame.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I'm willing to hear things out on a series of ratings to see if what they are describing is being matched animation wise. I want to work through the logic though. If Strength = how long an OL can hold a block then one would think strength for DL/LB = how fast they can shed. Well let's hear it from Clint

Quote:
If the disparity is largely in the blocker's favor, he will be able to hold his block for a longer-than-average amount of time based on the size of the disparity (not every time). If the STR rating matchup is in favor of the defender, he will be able to disengage from the block much quicker than normal on average (again, not every time). And if the two players have similar STR ratings, you'll see varied results in wins and losses over the course of game, but neither will dominate in this one specific area.
If STR does this for defenders then how significant is the Block Shed rating? What's it's impact in a player's disengagement?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
Rookie

Bull_Dozer's Arena

OVR: 5
I hope for the next gen versions (PS4, XBOX 720), they scrap the current ratings system and start over. It really seems like a convoluted mess.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Dozer
I hope for the next gen versions (PS4, XBOX 720), they scrap the current ratings system and start over. It really seems like a convoluted mess.
Exactly, most of the game is a convoluted mess, imo. Not to bash too much but after not playing M13 for quite sometime or any video games, I was watching my gf's son playing NBA2k13 a few days ago. When it went to the Halftime Show/Report, I instantly just shook my head thinking of Madden again.

EA Tiburion has taken creating a solid NFL video game and made it out to be some unreachable goal. Making sports simulation video games is not rocket science considering other companies are and have done it. They actually refer to Donny Moore as the "ratings czar" but if I were him I would be ashamed to be associated with the rating system in Madden.

Real talk, everybody is not cut out to do everything and it seems many people working on Madden, aren't cut out to make a NFL video game. That said, I don't wish anyone out of a job and Lord knows I had to "fake it til I make it" before at jobs, so I understand. However, I hope the new consoles bring a better Madden and ultimately an end to the NFL exclusive license because I miss having a NFL video game that makes sense, which I can enjoy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

I always thought the STR rating in regards to O-linemen(and anyone blocking for that matter) was used to determine how much push the player got while blocking. For instance, a player with high RB/PB ratings, but low STR would be more likely to be pushed back into the back field, but the player would still be able to maintain their block because of the high PB/RB ratings. On the flip side, a player with high STR, but low PB/RB ratings would get push while blocking, but would not be able to block that long. I figured IMP just determined the likelihood of a pancake block.

Boy was I wrong lol. It's my fault tho for thinking the way these ratings were applied into the game made sense. I'm like a bunch of these other guys in here wondering what do PB/RB ratings do if the STR rating determines how long a player holds his block. Judging by the way this game plays, the only other thing I can see PB/RB determining is if the player actually engages the defender. I'm sure we've all seen a tackle allow an end to come through without even engaging him. Maybe that's what that rating determines lol. I don't know, but I'm pretty curious to find out lol. Maybe Clint should have just spilled the beans on how all the blocking ratings work together instead of just focusing on STR. Now we're all sitting here wondering how in the hell the rest of the blocking ratings are applied lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 15

Sooooo....

how does strength matter for a WR or a running back? Kinda still important
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 16

So can someone help me here as Im totally lost?? Whats the bigger advantage here for an offensive lineman: 99 strength and 60 RBK / PBK vs. 60 strength and 99 RBK / PBK? Also, still have no idea how impact blocking coincides with these.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »