Home

MLB 2K13 Announced with Cover Athlete David Price, Arrives March 5th

This is a discussion on MLB 2K13 Announced with Cover Athlete David Price, Arrives March 5th within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #49
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: MLB 2K13 Announced with Cover Athlete David Price, Arrives March 5th

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
I don't have a PS3 and I am one of the biggest 2k baseball honks around here. Tell me how you get deep into franchises without simming (the biggest instance of the game playing for you there is).
I agree, generated pitch counts would be a nice addition. And doesn't seem like the toughest thing to do.

Using the "Hurry Up Baseball" option for some games helps speed things up. And I like the 52 game season...but I understand there are some drawbacks to both of those solutions.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #50
All Star

OVR: 13

Good for 360 owners, but realistically, there's almost no way this is anything but a roster update (as numerous others here have said). There is no way a company would have spent any time, money, or resources developing a game they weren't even sure they would have a license for, especially in the current economic environment and with 2k under leaner management. Frankly, even the most profligate of companies in the best of times would never allow development on a game they didn't have a license to, even if they fully expected to renew it (which was clearly not the case here).

MLB was faced with no presence on the top game console in the U.S., something they must have viewed as detrimental to their brand, and probably came back to 2k and made them a deal they couldn't refuse. It must have been favorable, because 2k was telling anyone that would listen for 3 years they were dropping the MLB license like an 8AM elective. 2k must have found themselves in a no-lose position, did some quick back-of-the-envelope calculations, and figured they could move a certain minimal threshold for profitability number of units with essentially zero additional investment, and signed-off. Call David Price, cue media announcement, update rosters, ship in March by opening day.

I used to really like the MLB2k series, and while I still think it's serviceable, I'll reserve my excitement for when 2k has a football-related announcement to make...
Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
I don't have a PS3 and I am one of the biggest 2k baseball honks around here. Tell me how you get deep into franchises without simming (the biggest instance of the game playing for you there is).
I get what you are saying, but generated pitch counts pretty much destroys a ton of what make 2K12 work so well, both pitching and hitting. Working the count is a real strategy that pays off.

I play 2K12 to play the game. I play OOTP to sim baseball. So no, I don't play more than a season, and I play every game.

I wouldn't be upset if they added that feature, and when console games made reading balls and strikes more like guessing, it would have been beneficial. But if you expect a single new feature to be added to this years game, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm hoping that they decide to sell it for $20 or $30, but I'm not even holding my breath for that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #52
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

There better be a PC version......

Also graphics better be overhauled to surpass the competition, and back up to par with 2k7.

Need realistic faces HD so forth, no more of that cartoon look with them pastel colors.....

Bring it 2ksports you got my money...
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #53
Banned

b22gamer's Arena

OVR: 7
When asked by 2k development team to be the cove athlete, David Price responded: "NOOOOOOOO, do I have to????????"
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Love all the unfounded speculation here... Guys, lets at least wait to kick the crap out of this game until it arrives. We truly don't know what the dev team has done to this game, but I hate this "I'm gonna buy The Show" stuff just because everyone THOUGHT 2K gave up on this game, which clearly they have NOT...
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 4
Good news. This deal was probably in the works since past fall prior to the previous licence expiry date. I'm expecting more than a simple roster update but we'll see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #56
Pro

OVR: 7

Eric Fisher@EricFisherSBJ 2K Sports/MLB renewal is for this year only - one yr pact to serve as bridge to next console cycle

Eric Fisher@EricFisherSBJ
MLB did not want to sit out the yr on Xbox 360, went w incumbent party while larger options sorted out

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »