Home

Ricky Williams and EA Getting Sued For NFL Street Tattoo

This is a discussion on Ricky Williams and EA Getting Sued For NFL Street Tattoo within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Rookie

BCDX97's Arena

OVR: 4
Crybabies Tattoo? Crybabies sounds about right. How lame. And absurd.

I don't know why anybody would ever go to that clown for a tattoo again.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Wow.

The next step from this now is each time a athlete goes to a tattoo parlor he is going to have to bring a lawyer for the artist to sign over his rights for this Tattoo.I wonder if this is going to start a wave of people getting sued for posting there tattoo on social sites?

I agree this is a complete waste of court time.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
If it's copyrighted then the guy has a case and he's right. If it's not copyrighted and it's just a tattoo he did then he has no case. But as long as it's copyrighted then the artist is justified in doing what he's doing. WWE has to essentially take out the 2 tattoos on CM Punk of the GI Joe logo and Pepsi logo because those logos are copyrighted. It sounds stupid to us but that's the entire point of getting something copyrighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
No one bought the game because of this tattoo. This "artist's" contribution added nothing to sales.
that has NOTHING to do with it. If the art is copyrighted, then he has a right to sue. That is why you get something copyrighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMikeBarker
That's like barbers suing athletes for using there hairstyles. Makes no sense.
It is NOTHING like a barber suing athletes for using their hairstyles UNLESS they have those hairstyles copyrighted. You guys are all acting like this guy just did some random tattoo and saw it portrayed on Williams in the image and is looking for a quick buck. The art was COPYRIGHTED.

Last edited by JerseySuave4; 01-11-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
Pro

rynecandy's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
If it's copyrighted then the guy has a case and he's right. If it's not copyrighted and it's just a tattoo he did then he has no case. But as long as it's copyrighted then the artist is justified in doing what he's doing. WWE has to essentially take out the 2 tattoos on CM Punk of the GI Joe logo and Pepsi logo because those logos are copyrighted. It sounds stupid to us but that's the entire point of getting something copyrighted.

that has NOTHING to do with it. If the art is copyrighted, then he has a right to sue. That is why you get something copyrighted.

It is NOTHING like a barber suing athletes for using their hairstyles UNLESS they have those hairstyles copyrighted. You guys are all acting like this guy just did some random tattoo and saw it portrayed on Williams in the image and is looking for a quick buck. The art was COPYRIGHTED.
/\/\/\/\

That's true but I'm guessing since neither of those companies (or owners of entities) put the tattoo on the body knowing others would see them makes it different. The guy put the tattoo on Williams knowing others would see it with (most likely) the hopes of getting free pub for his tattoo shop. I doubt this see a courtroom, EA has lots of lawyers vs what this guy can provide for himself.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynecandy
/\/\/\/\

That's true but I'm guessing since neither of those companies (or owners of entities) put the tattoo on the body knowing others would see them makes it different. The guy put the tattoo on Williams knowing others would see it with (most likely) the hopes of getting free pub for his tattoo shop. I doubt this see a courtroom, EA has lots of lawyers vs what this guy can provide for himself.
Makes no difference as long as its copyrighted. If the image is copyrighted then the guy has a case. I doubt it will see the courtroom because EA will just settle with the guy. If it were a photograph maybe that's different but even this image is a drawing.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
All Star

inkcil's Arena

@Jersey...no point in debating this issue with "young people," it's clear-cut copywright infringement if EA didn't get his permission. EA shoula known better. Oh well.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Pro

rynecandy's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Ricky Williams and EA Getting Sued For NFL Street Tattoo

Read on 2 cases online and seems he does have a case as long as the copyright was made before the game came out. Both of them were settled out of court. Seems the guy is trying to get a few more dollars out of Ricky than what he paid for the ink....and it will most likely work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
Pro

Bolt957's Arena

OVR: 14
I know the economy isn't great, but he's willing to stoop this low to sue for copyright issues over a tattoo? Come on, a 2004 game & he doesn't realize til 2010, and this is brought up in 2013? Some people are just really desperate and sad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »