Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Removes Course Mastery System, Will Use Traditional DLC

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Removes Course Mastery System, Will Use Traditional DLC within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
Rookie

kickingguru's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Removes Course Mastery System, Will Use Traditional DLC

Agreed Flight... I get every penny out of what I spend on Tiger games.....
Tiger 14 (Xbox 360)... Total Online Play Country Club... We have a forum/message board at www.TotalOnlinePlay.com ...one central place for questions, comments, feedback, and general trash talk :) To join, go there and request a spot....
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
Rookie

kickingguru's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Removes Course Mastery System, Will Use Traditional DLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
I think I remember people being upset that after you completed the course mastery on the 360, you still had to pay full retail price for the course. On the ps3 however you could keep the course for free if you completed the mastery. Due to the 360's own currency system.
This was not accurate...... Once you mastered a course, it was yours on xbox as well..... Here was the difference in the economies of PS3 and xbox...

PS3.... You had to purchase coins first before you did anything else. The coins could then buy the course or rent the rounds for mastery... I think 180,000 coins got you the DLC Pack of 11 courses.... Everything went through the coins.

Xbox.... Coins could only rent rounds for mastery.. You had to use MS points to buy the courses outright. Xbox forced that issue on EA...

The rest was exactly the same on both consoles....

In this the only reasons to be upset with the "choice" to earn vs purchase was....

1. Freeze issues would waste rounds rented, therefore wasting earned coins and time.

2. The Pins earned and advantages the pins gave to people who spent the money. When I say pins, I mean both the hole/course pins as well as the boost pins. Those who did not want to use them, felt they were sort of forced upon them to compete....

3. The whole debacle over the EA Golden Ticket... People's anger over that one was pretty much justified in my mind....

These were not brought up however in that rediculous IGN article... The article actually tried to convince people that having the "Choice" was bad and only purchase was good....
Tiger 14 (Xbox 360)... Total Online Play Country Club... We have a forum/message board at www.TotalOnlinePlay.com ...one central place for questions, comments, feedback, and general trash talk :) To join, go there and request a spot....
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Strange that they would take out the option to let you play for it, rather than pay for it. However, i guess that's taking money out of their pockets.

As for the DLC, I've got to say, I agree with ParquetPosse... I've bought TW11, 12, and 13, and all the DLC courses that came with it. However, year after year, I can't keep justifying it. Not enough changes, especially with the courses. They're the exact same every year, just DLC for a different "model year" of the game. It's almost criminal that I've got to pay full price, year after year. I buy the DLC courses, because I enjoy the variety of courses to play on, however it adds up quickly, especially year after year. I think they should give some kind of discount to those who have previously bought it in the past.

If they can see my profile from last years game, and give me XP for my golfer as a "reward" for playing in previous versions of the game, why not recognize my DLC, and give me a deal. Even if they gave it to me at a discounted price, they're still making money hand over fist on it. Especially by taking away the option to play for it this year.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 0
I'm fine w/paying for the courses. I just don't have the time to put in to master all of them. All the courses are, IMHO, are an expansion pack, like additional maps or scenarios found in Call of Duty or Civilization.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTWHITE
Gonna buy the courses like I do every year and keep it moving. No doubt I get my $$ worth out of this game.

To each his/her own in regards to DLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingguru
Agreed Flight... I get every penny out of what I spend on Tiger games.....
Yeah, I buy the DLC courses every year, and will again this year. I VERY easily get my money's worth out of the title and DLC.

However I am surprised they went the other way on this. Divot, I read your post and understand that some reviews ripped on them for this last year, but based on user feedback for 13 on OS, seemed ALMOST unanimous that guys liked having the option to grind or buy.

Per Divot, I also understand the DLC stuff costs EA to produce, so perhaps enough people did the grinding thing to earn the courses last year that it had a negative impact financially at EA. I think this might be the bigger issue than what some critics said.

I might be wrong and I respect Divot very much and always appreciate his great feedback here and inside scoops...just reading between the lines.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
Pro

Panicshade's Arena

OVR: 9

I think that a lot of the "complaints" about the way the DLC was handled last year were about the fact that I believe PS3 users could flat-out buy the courses with coins they earned while 360 users didn't have that option. That wasn't an EA issue but a MS one but a lot of people just want to bash EA because it's easy to do. I'm not saying EA is always innocent in the situations that happen but I just wish at times that people would take a step back and understand that there are a lot more things going on behind the scenes that are out of EA's (and every other company for that matter) control. If I am wrong on that I am sure I will get corrected.

Just on the surface with no DLC issues involved I liked the course mastery part of the game so I am a little bummed to see it removed but it's not a deal breaker.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

On the fence about buying this game, this probably pushes me to the wrong side of it. I am not paying $120 for a video game, no way, no how. I am also not accepting not having an entire video game that I pay $70 for. Last year's system was perfect. All I want to do is play career mode. If I can't play some of the tournaments because I don't have the courses that is impossibly lame. Last year I had the courses, this year I can't and you tell me it's not an EA problem, it's a MS problem. Well guess what I don't have an XBOX and I resent you making their problem my problem. A full summer of FIFA ahead for me it appears.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #24
MVP

ILiveForThis's Arena

OVR: 13

I don't like this decision at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »