Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #105
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Isn't it pretty self-explanatory?
No. Thats why I asked the question!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 AM   #106
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
The way I see it, setting a potential speed lower than actual accomplishes two things. One, it ensures that you can't increase it through training (since he's already over his potential), and two, indicates the floor that his actual speed can fall to (but won't necessarily, you could probably gain some of it back through training). That's of course assuming this screen isn't early build fodder and it won't actually look like that. Just theoretical.

I'm looking at it as an anti - potential, if you can understand that.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 AM   #107
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
Really? So you've never heard of someone getting slower as they get older?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #108
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
The way I see it, setting a potential speed lower than actual accomplishes two things. One, it ensures that you can't increase it through training (since he's already over his potential), and two, indicates the floor that his actual speed can fall to (but won't necessarily, you could probably gain some of it back through training). That's of course assuming this screen isn't early build fodder and it won't actually look like that. Just theoretical.

I'm looking at it as an anti - potential, if you can understand that.
Thank you for the intelligent non-condescending response.
THAT makes sense!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #109
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Hopefully, this bitter memory will drive the dev team to move away from exposing player ratings at all.... player skill are something we estimate from watching them play, see through performance stats, asking scouts, etc., etc., ....
We think it's funny and its not changing. Also OS represents about 5% of the consumer base the 95% will be happy that you can see both now.

Last edited by Russell_SCEA; 02-13-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #110
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
We think it's funny and is not changing. Also OS represents about 5% of the consumer base the 95% will be happy that you can see both now.
I know that and still said it anyways!

I just think scouting/evaluating players can be a game by itself, in a mode like Franchise mode. No game has ever done this well sufficiently (AFAIK), so the 95% of consumers don't really know how fun that can be. Just my opinion...
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #111
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
No, it's not quite the same thing to say that a player can be rated numerically and that a player's true skill can be rated at all. As anyone who deals with statistics in life knows, all such activities come up with *estimates* of what the numbers should represent.

I have no issues with MLB scout using 20 - 80 scale to rate players.

But I have an issue with exposing player ratings in a game like this, only because that's actually the true skill of the player. A Contact = 66 player should hit .255 on average, since the game is actually tuned precisely to produce such a player.

Unless I'm doing editing, I really don't want to know that much detail about a player. It takes fun away from me.
I have to agree that it takes a lot away from the game when you think about it too hard, which a lot of people on here do.

A thing I and I think a lot of others want is more variability. More differentiation between players. SCEA is going in this direction with the push/pull system. I hope it goes further in the future. I don't want the ratings to be so binary, I want something than can differentiate two hitters with 65 contact. Because they are not exactly the same.

About the park factors in the game, the altitude, etc. How dramatic are the park factors in the game? Does it affect simmed games at all? That is what I would want it to affect really, more so than played games so that the stats would end up replicating what actual ballparks play like.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #112
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy

About the park factors in the game, the altitude, etc. How dramatic are the park factors in the game? Does it affect simmed games at all? That is what I would want it to affect really, more so than played games so that the stats would end up replicating what actual ballparks play like.
I'm not preventing Ramone from answering this part but from the posts in the past the park factors are indeed in. It's hard to see the effect (just as they are in real life), but they are part of game when you don't sim. Something like wind effects can be pretty significant as well. The game really does consider a lot of real-life factors. Simming doesn't take into those as far as I know...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »