Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #145
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
I disagree. There is nothing wrong with an overall rating. It just needs to be balanced in the context of the baseball universe. Willie Mays, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams, maybe, deserve a 99. Run today's players by that standard and I think we quickly remove the problem (and we no longer have 17 players at 99).

You're just proving why there should be no overall #'s though.

So you give Willie,Babe and the Splinter their 99's in history....and nobody now deserves one.

Then in 2016 a kid comes along and breaks every record in baseball after 15 years. EVERY one. Shatters Ruth's SLG/OPS and OPS+ records. Has a higher lifetime OBP than Williams and makes Willie Mays look like Adam Dunn in the OF.

What OVR # are those players then?

IMO...this is why you shouldn't be judging players with an OVR #....especially in a definitive nature.

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #146
MVP

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
You're just proving why there should be no overall #'s though.

So you give Willie,Babe and the Splinter their 99's in history....and nobody now deserves one.

Then in 2016 a kid comes along and breaks every record in baseball after 15 years. EVERY one. Shatters Ruth's SLG/OPS and OPS+ records. Has a higher lifetime OBP than Williams and makes Willie Mays look like Adam Dunn in the OF.

What OVR # are those players then?

IMO...this is why you shouldn't be judging players with an OVR #....especially in a definitive nature.

M.K.
Knight165
Valid point, but doesn't that argue just as much against having a maximum rating as having an overall rating? In OOTP, a rating can exceed a 100 point scale. Wouldn't that counter your issue? I understand some folks would prefer no overall rating (like in the Front Page Sports series) and that's cool - make it optional to have it hidden. I like the shorthand of it.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #147
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I don't think Ramone's a 'stros fan, so you are alone in the world LOL. Oh wait, Lorne_SCEA is an Astros fan so OK, there are 2 of you.

I'm actually impartial to the Astros, and go to a good handful of their games, I accidentally rooted for them at least two times. My wife works for the Astros organization too, so they get some sympathy cheers. All jokes aside, the 'stros are OK with me too.

As for Altuve (and ratings in general) I wouldn't get too caught up in the OVR ratings, because of the way the algorithm is calculated. I can tell you that even not all the 99s play the same. Trout's 99 plays way differently than Posey's 99 or even Pujols' 99... actually Trout plays like he's at least a 115 rating!
Well then, I'll make sure Trout is on my team!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #148
Rookie

OVR: 2

A bit out of it, but i play fifa as well as the show and nobody is rated 99, lionel messi the best player in the world, is rated 95 which the show should follow, as no player is perfect. I'm a big nats fan and strasburg should never be rated 99, about 88. too many there are rated as 99, only 7 guys in history deserve a 99, cobb, ruth, mays, musial, cy young, koufax and gehrig
Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #149
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: How we've changed the player ratings algorithm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
The Angels are stacked! LOL
No big deal, us Mariner fans just have a funner time striking them out

My Mariners dynasty!
XBL Gamertag- xLMJx21
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #150
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

A 99 rating DOES NOT equal "perfect" or one of the best ever, nor does it mean a player doesn't have a weakness in his game. In fact, the overall rating itself has no impact on performance; results are driven by the individual skill ratings and user input. All it means is the player is currently one of the elite players at his position and by extension, in all of MLB.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #151
Rookie

R0ver's Arena

OVR: 4

Interesting that Chapman has a 99 rating, is that based on his old closer position?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #152
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

OVR: 5

Question (i read through about 10 pages of this thread and i don't believe it was answered).

Using Altuve as an example. He is rated 90 right. So as an example. If i took 3 terrible players at 2B and increased their stats significantly...could it effect Altuve's overall rating?

So lets say Altuve's speed is 95. If i made 3 second basemen have 99 speed...it would make Altuve's speed less impressive (more or less) so would his overall value drop?

Hope that all makes sense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »