Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #201
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
For regular player attributes (like Contact, K/9, etc.), it's ceiled at the max value (what you see in the game is what you get...). Don't know about OVR.
I'd like to know if overall does come into play in contracts, trades, etc. Maybe someone can answer?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #202
Rookie

Ligeann Dul Coileain's Arena

Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Being tied into sallary and player movement is something I'll admit I hadn't taken into consideration. Though even there I don't think that it's too big of an issue because once you get into that tier of players you're already talking about people who are incredibly valuable as far as trade value whether they are a 120 or a 101. But I do see the point about how Overall does indeed have an effect on some aspects of the game's logic.

I agree that it would make better sense to reserve 99 as the highest that it can go, but I'm imagining that that would involve some pretty big changes to the weight given to attributes at a position which could in turn lower everyone else's negatively and create problems on the lower end of the scale as well.

I admit that I know nothing about how the ratings system works, but it sounds like progress is being made if nearly 30 players got moved out of that 99 range from last year's game to this year's.

I didn't notice too many problems with all of the full bars present last year (I actually had no idea that there were over 40 of them) so I highly doubt that the way I play I'll notice any problems from having fewer people ranked as highly as possible. I do understand the concern for people who think it may effect them though, I just don't particularly share in those concerns too much.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #203
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

I'm not really "concerned" though... it's just a word usage and I just enjoy discussing the game and how things work, so I'm just presenting an argument. As I wrote before, I don't really play the game looking at ratings too meticulously, especially OVR.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #204
Rookie

Ligeann Dul Coileain's Arena

"Concern" maybe wasn't the right word, but it is a valid point that I hadn't really considered before. I'd be interested to know whether the in-game logic considers the difference between players over 99 or not.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #205
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Some of you guys can make a Mountain out of a mole Hill in a heart beat. The game only sees 99 the guys who are rated higher than that. The number only shows up in our Excel files not the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #206
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Some of you guys can make a Mountain out of a mole Hill in a heart beat. The game only sees 99 the guys who are rated higher than that. The number only shows up in our Excel files not the game.
If you don't mind my asking, what is Kershaw's Excel rating? I'm just curious.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #207
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
It's probably the result of boredom.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #208
Rookie

keymax's Arena

OVR: 3
I mentioned it before. But don't get too caught up in player overalls. Jimmy Rollins has a far better OVR rating than JJ Hardy. But Hardy clearly performs better at the plate.
It's just a number and it's not nearly as meaningful as in other games.

I would prefer getting rid of an overall rating altogether but I guess I'm in the minority here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »