Home

The New DualShock 4 and Sports Gaming

This is a discussion on The New DualShock 4 and Sports Gaming within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The New DualShock 4 and Sports Gaming

One of the big hardware reveals last night was the new DualShock 4 controller that will come packaged with the Playstation 4 console. The controller has an overall familiar theme, which is a good thing when it comes to entering a new generation of consoles. Back are the two analog sticks and the familiar d-pad and shape buttons.

But that doesn't mean the DualShock 4 doesn't come with a whole level of new -- because that is definitely the case as well. New to the controller is a touchpad on the front and rear of the controller, which will allow for PS Vita like multi-touch control over your PS4 games. Also included is a new share button on the top left of the controller, which will allow you to share screenshots, movies, and live streams of your games to all of your friends -- thanks to Playstation's new partnership with UStream. Think about the implications for leagues and how much cooler online dynasties and franchises just became.

Also included in the new controller is a PS Move like light bar that, when paired with the enhanced PS Eye camera that will itself allow for face recognition log-ins to the console. This combination gives you motion control capabilities for the PS4, potentially right out of the box if the PS Eye camera is shipped with the console. How this will combine with sports games is an interesting thought experiment, but it's not impossible to see the touch pad and motion control capabilities of the new console really make for some interesting possibilities within sports games.

You will also find a microphone jack for headsets, better rumble technology, reduced latency, a unified start/select button in the options button, and the possibility of an enhanced experience via a peripheral which senses your depth and 3D position in the room you are in.

How do you like the new DualShock 4 controller?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Handles look more 360ish in size, sticks are concaved for better thumb grip, dpad is larger, and triggers and shoulder buttons appear improved also. I can't complain at all.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 39
I like what I see so far.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 32
I like all of what I am seeing so far. Sony is moving in a great direction so far. I can only imagine what they will be able to do on the MLB games with touch pad.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Yea, I like it to. Doesn't look to gimmicky at all which is exactly what I want. I love Nintendo but I am tired of their gimmicks. I like it, Sony
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 19
a touch screen for play calling in football. instead of having the plays on screen youd have it on the control on the touch pad
That will really add an strategy element. cause the defense really will have to adjust to offensive formations . it has the potential to make defense more realistic by making it more reactionary.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Pro

Jakeness23's Arena

OVR: 27
Face recognition could really help CAP in the NBA 2K series, MLB: The Show, and Madden.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Rookie

TCFClemson's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The New DualShock 4 and Sports Gaming

I like the look of the controller. Unfortunately I didnt see much in the press conference to make me want a PS4. I have a PS3 that sits for the most part now.

Watchdogs was the main thing that caught my eye and it will be on the PC so I wouldnt get in on a console anyway.

I really hope that EA will use the full power of the console to finally enter into a FULL fledged physics system for their Football games. Not a half hearted effort that we have now.

EDIT: To add I will more than likely get a new console but right now I would say the 720 is leading due to ESPN and Twitch apps. The reason I sold my 360 and kept the PS3 was due to Blu Ray.
I occasionally stream on twitch at twitch.tv/tcfclemson

Last edited by TCFClemson; 02-21-2013 at 03:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »