Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #241
MVP

OVR: 4
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Strasburg (a starting pitcher) has pitched 250 innings in his career and he is a 99 OVR.

What are the odds the Reds are overrated and come away with an overrated minor league system?

There is no team in sports who has had a more over-rated farm system than the Reds traditionally. On the 2k12 re-rate they are a 98 overall. I still remember their crowded outfield of Wily Mo Pena and Joanna Kearns.

Last edited by pistolpete; 02-21-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #242
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Happy Dusty got some love at 2nd base, guy tears his body up every year with how hard he plays (still only active 2nd baseman with an MVP I think). When Cano plays to his potential, no better combination of offense/defense in the middle infield, but yes, Votto needs some more love.

Don't care about the actual numbers, but when comparing him to others at the same position, probably the best out there. I enjoy seeing how these ratings translate to actual gameplay and appreciate the "taste," thank you Ramone.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #243
Rookie

OVR: 3
Does a higher rating necessarily mean superiority? The best measure of a hitter that we have IMHO is OBP and SLG, with OBP being about 3 times more important than SLG. By which, Votto is a superior hitter. His stats over the last 2 seasons OBP/ SLG 474/567 and 416/531 respectively. While Pujols had 343/516 and 366/541 respectively. Clearly, Votto is the superior hitter, but Pujols had the best start to a career in history. Isn't it enough to acknowledge that they're both great baseball players? This new ratings system doesn't effect gameplay at all.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #244
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Messing around with the ratings in MLB 12 since I was curious how players could be ranked in the manage roster menu if they were the same rating.

So we already know that the game doesn't differentiate between players rated at max, 99. It considers all 99's the same as far as I can tell. A 99 with all 90 ratings is the same as all 99 ratings.

It sorts by alphabetical order of last name. And for some reason lowercase letters are after all uppercase ones so Z is before a.

Probably already known, but I was just curious to see how it would rank them since I thought maybe something else could determine the displayed ranking like potential, age, or position.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #245
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Messing around with the ratings in MLB 12 since I was curious how players could be ranked in the manage roster menu if they were the same rating.

So we already know that the game doesn't differentiate between players rated at max, 99. It considers all 99's the same as far as I can tell. A 99 with all 90 ratings is the same as all 99 ratings.

It sorts by alphabetical order of last name. And for some reason lowercase letters are after all uppercase ones so Z is before a.

Probably already known, but I was just curious to see how it would rank them since I thought maybe something else could determine the displayed ranking like potential, age, or position.

'Z' is before 'a' because computer tends to sort characters by their ASCII codes (90 for Z and 97 for a), so they are likely simply sorted by player names when they have the same OVR.

Perhaps the similar reason is why catchers with 1.000 fielding percentage tend to win Gold Glove when they belong to the AL/NL East division... the game is sorting players by the team they belong when several players are tied for the award selection.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #246
Rookie

DanH35's Arena

OVR: 2

When you are comparing Votto and Pujols, are you taking into account where they play most of their games? According to the 2012 park factors, Cincinnati is the 8th best hitters park, Anaheim is 27th. In 2011, Cincinnati was 8th, and St. Louis was 25th. It might not make up the whole difference, but it does factor in their performances.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #247
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
Strasburg (a starting pitcher) has pitched 250 innings in his career and he is a 99 OVR.

What are the odds the Reds are overrated and come away with an overrated minor league system?

There is no team in sports who has had a more over-rated farm system than the Reds traditionally. On the 2k12 re-rate they are a 98 overall. I still remember their crowded outfield of Wily Mo Pena and Joanna Kearns.
Yes, that one also bugs me. Strasburg has not had one season of 200+ innings and a sub 3.00 ERA. Last season, he finished poorly. While he may do it this year, we still do not know for certain.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #248
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH35
When you are comparing Votto and Pujols, are you taking into account where they play most of their games? According to the 2012 park factors, Cincinnati is the 8th best hitters park, Anaheim is 27th. In 2011, Cincinnati was 8th, and St. Louis was 25th. It might not make up the whole difference, but it does factor in their performances.
Votto actually has hit better on the road during his career. He has hit a few more HRs at home overall though. But he actually hit more HRs away during his big 2010 and 11 years and overall hit better on the road even with his favorable home park factor.

Pujols has a fairly varied home away split, but its hard to say if he hit better at home or away. He hit more home runs away, but drove in more runs, had more doubles (probably due to the less HRs) and had a higher OBP at home.

Overall their splits are not wildly different, but you can see some things that make sense. Like Pujols having more doubles at home but more HRs away.

Last edited by MrOldboy; 02-22-2013 at 09:25 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »