Home

All EA Games to Include Microtransactions in the Future

This is a discussion on All EA Games to Include Microtransactions in the Future within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
All EA Games to Include Microtransactions in the Future

Gaming as we know it is changing, and the future is now if you believe EA CFO Blake Jorgenson, who says EA plans to implement microtransactions in all of it's games in the future.

“We’re building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be.” Jorgenson said at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecom Conference.

"Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business," Jorgenson added.

For those of you unfamiliar with them, microtransactions are small-scale items built into games that you have to pay physical money to actually own. We have seen microtransactions creep into sports games via ultimate team modes and card packs, as well as in Dynasty boosters and feature enhancements. It seems apparent that customers are paying money, lots of money, for microtransactions in gaming and it is leading the world's largest third party publisher to pursue them in every title.

It's unlikely EA will start charging for common features in their games, but rather will likely offer 'shortcuts' to players in the form of microtransactions. It's entirely plausible that ratings' boosts and more could become commonplace in the online realm if the microtransaction strategy is fully embraced. More likely, you will see microtransactions implemented as an 'in addition to' type of strategy, so as to not fully displease more avid fans of series.

Regardless, there is a definite vocal group of gamers who absolutely despise microtransactions -- but it seems apparent that EA sees profitability in this new model.

How do you see microtransactions being implemented in EA Sports games in the future? Do you like the idea of microtransactions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
So does this mean games will be cheaper? that's why it works so well with apps. the apps are cheap so people will make in app purchases.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
So does this means I can buy better AI DLC for their football games or buy pass interference being called or buy punt blocks or punts being returned for more then 10 yards. Can I buy classic teams ? Can I buy FCS schools for their NCAA football game series ?

Blah, I think we all knew this was coming when they started charging for alternate college uniforms last year. Nickel and dime us to death.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13
Swell, so offline franchise will be ignored in favor of online gaming.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Rookie

aldon_47's Arena

OVR: 2
I saw the word "microtransaction" and for some reason immediately thought of things like team revenue aspects, adjusting contracts, that sort of thing and got really excited for a moment. BOY was I disappointed. Not surprised though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: All EA Games to Include Microtransactions in the Future

This shouldn't really be news, given the trends in the industry that have existed since Zynga popularized the idea of microtransactions.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Pro

rsump112's Arena

OVR: 4
I don't mind spending a few dollars on a free iphone app, but I'm disgusted at the thought of paying $60 for a game only to be nickel and dimed to death afterwards
Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsump112
I don't mind spending a few dollars on a free iphone app, but I'm disgusted at the thought of paying $60 for a game only to be nickel and dimed to death afterwards
This!
So much this!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »